Martfox, my review

[quote name=‘tulan’]i think what norman is saying, why isnt there a back up server for “VPS node 2”?

we’re not talking about martfox having just 1 physical server for their own use.

why couldn’t a backup server take over from “VPS node 2”? and then restore backup date on to the stand by server.[/QUOTE]

It was restored from a backup

[QUOTE]correct me if i am wrong, but if you have a faulty RAID controller can you still not use the RAID with a new controller straight away with a standby server? assuming you have already configured it with a RAID controller?[/QUOTE]

Raid mirroring only protects against a drive failure and not against a raid controller itself failing or file system issues.

The smoke is gone and Indy is back. Where were you when your customers needed you?

[quote name=‘indy0077’]It was restored from a backup[/QUOTE]

And this took 15 hours. You could program 5 extra servers in 15 hours.

No offence Indy, but as you can see MF was unable to manage the last disaster in a timely manner. And this, makes MF just an average company.

Every network admin knows that one day, something bad will happen and their job is to minimise the impact on clients and manage it in a shortest possible time. That’s why simulations and test are often performed as well as recovery procedures implemented, which can be followed by even much less experienced admins on site.

The bottom line is, I don’t really care. All I care for is my own VPS and a long list of other servers I manage. Disappearing and not communicating with your own customers was the worst you could do.

So are we saying martfox is peanuts??

[quote name=‘martfox’][SIZE=“3”]We’re not entirely sure why exactly it went read-only[/SIZE] […][/QUOTE]

Lee Li Pop

[quote name=‘Noman’]The smoke is gone and Indy is back. Where were you when your customers needed you?

No offence Indy, but as you can see MF was unable to manage the last disaster in a timely manner. And this, makes MF just an average company.

Every network admin knows that one day, something bad will happen and their job is to minimise the impact on clients and manage it in a shortest possible time. That’s why simulations and test are often performed as well as recovery procedures implemented, which can be followed by even much less experienced admins on site.

The bottom line is, I don’t really care. All I care for is my own VPS and a long list of other servers I manage. Disappearing and not communicating with your own customers was the worst you could do.[/quote]

The amount of data we have means a server restore takes some time to complete.

We will be moving our main website to another server to ensure our client area is online at all times.

[quote name=‘Noman’]The smoke is gone and Indy is back. Where were you when your customers needed you?

The bottom line is, I don’t really care. All I care for is my own VPS and a long list of other servers I manage. Disappearing and not communicating with your own customers was the worst you could do.[/quote]

As I mentionted before, I’m not an employee of Martfox, anyway:

The raid controller actually was faulty and corrupted the data on the hard drives - the data is being restored from an R1Soft Backup. I’ve seen similar things happen to dozens of providers where there were no backups and all data was lost and nothing could be done to recover it.

I’m sure those of you that love to complain, will still continue to do so. I know it’s not a good situation but it can happen to any provider, luckily Martfox has backups of the server.

Even on an expensive VPS, things like this can and ultimately will still happen. It’s not a question of ‘if’ but ‘when’ and it doesn’t matter who the provider is.

Something wrong?!

[quote name=‘indy0077’][SIZE=3]I’m [SIZE=3]not[/SIZE] an employee[/SIZE] of Martfox[/quote]

Everything okay?

[quote name=‘indy0077’]Links in my signature are links of [SIZE=3]my company[/SIZE][/quote]

Would this the one of those business with variable geometry?

[quote name=‘indy0077’]If you move to [SIZE=3]our[/SIZE] reseller platform[/quote]

Who told the truth?

[quote name=‘indy0077’]

[SIZE=3]We[/SIZE] offer reseller prices to everyone.[/quote]

Very annoying…

[quote name=‘indy0077’]

Well as you have probably seen Martfox Web Hosting on Twitter [SIZE=3][SIZE=3]we[/SIZE][/SIZE] have been planning to run a big competition.[/quote]

I don’t understand who can told us the truth:

Indy007 when everything is OK?

Or Indy007 when something goes wrong?

[SIZE=3]Doctor Jekyll? Or Mister Hyde?[/SIZE]

Lee Li Pop

[quote name=‘Lee Li Pop’]Something wrong?!

Everything okay?[/QUOTE]

Indeed, everything ok.

Thought Id better post the good aswell as the bad.

Upgrading via upgrade centre last night (sat night) got an error and couldnt access admin or public.

Database error: Table ‘hiviscou_hbd776tev.TABLE_PREFIXsessions’ doesn’t exist (1146)

Invalid query: SELECT * FROM TABLE_PREFIXsessions WHERE session_id = ‘3246575ab7ec207fd31bf7fed7ee7c18’ AND area = ‘A’

Backtrace:

File: /home/hiviscou/public_html/core/fn.database.php

Line: 310

Function: db_error

File: /home/hiviscou/public_html/core/fn.database.php

Line: 102

Function: db_query

File: /home/hiviscou/public_html/core/class.session.php

Line: 44

Function: db_get_row

Line: 248

Function: read

Line: 319

Function: start

File: /home/hiviscou/public_html/init.php

Line: 111

Function: init

Got onto Support at Martfox, as I did have backups from the very same day but wouldnt restore the site. Woke this fine Sunday morning and all is done.

Thanks Martfox

John

Hello John,

Excuse me, I don’t understand. You tell me that your support don’t explained you what had happened, and how to solve this problem by yourself next time? Right or wrong?

Here is the reply of the technician at Pair, a few minutes later after the first email confirming the fix of my crash, where he explains all the repair operation:

[QUOTE]Hello,

I have repaired the corrupt tables in the ‘xxx_yyy’ database.

You are able to find crashed tables and errors in your database by

using phpMyAdmin in the ACC.

Please follow the simple instructions below to check and repair a MySQL

table using phpMyAdmin:

1. Log into the Account Control Center ([url]Pair Networks Account Control Center)
  2. Click “Advanced Features”
  3. Click “Database Administration”
  4. Select Your Database
  5. Click “Manage Using phpMyAdmin”
  6. Login into phpMyAdmin
  7. Check the box to the left of the table that you’d like to check
  8. Select “Check table” (from the “With selected:” drop down box under

the table listing)

If a corrupt table reports an error, the table needs to be repaired.

If you need to repair a table using phpMyAdmin, follow these instructions:

9. Login into phpMyAdmin
  10. Check the box next to the table that you’d like to repair
  11. Select “Repair Table” from the “With selected:” drop down box

(under the table listing)

If MySQL reports Status OK, the table is now repaired.

Thank you,

Arden

pair Networks, Inc.

xxx@pair.com[/QUOTE]

It’s a Win/Win situation:

Pair’s support always explains you how to fix by yourself your issue (if possible). Thus, the rate of use of the support is reduced.

From your side view, you become smarter and more efficient :smiley:

Lee Li Pop

Lee Li,

You’ve been doing great with your posts lately and have had some really good, helpful information, but please don’t get back into the whole Pair.com vs the rest of the world thing.

We’ve all heard it before and we know that you love Pair. That’s cool and all, but I don’t think John was trying to compare Martfox to Pair or anything else. He was just saying that he was happy with the support.

If Pair is faster and better with their support that is great, but you don’t need to start getting into it again.

Can’t there be peace and love and all that other hippy stuff?

Brandon

I’m afraid, recently Lee is overcooking things a bit. I prefer him without this pAIR stuff otherwise, he seems less credible.

Lee Li Pop, I think, it would be better to open your own ‘Review of Pair…’ thread. I just think, it’s a ‘Review’ of Martfox, that means everybody hosted on Martfox can post the experience with them, bad or good… Anyway your comments in this thread are a bit “off topic”.

I dont know, Martfox may have repaired dit in 11 minutes But went to bed and it was donme when I got up

JOhn

I also have good experiences with service from Martfox. Bought a CS-cart license there, had some questions, and got answers within 15 mins even though I’m not hosting with them.

Hello John,

[quote name=‘johnbol1’]I dont know, Martfox may have repaired dit in 11 minutes But went to bed and it was donme when I got up

JOhn[/QUOTE]

I only can go to bed when my websites are running smooth :smiley:

Indy0077,

I help your customer to fix a common MySQL error by himself :wink:

However, it’s true, some database servers have recurrent problems, it’s better to ask support to move on a free problem server, when possible.

Indy0077, PM me to get the name of a web hosting company where it’s possible to change of database server in a minute.

Lee Li Pop

Has Martfox gone again for anyone else?

[quote name=‘AmitP’]Has Martfox gone again for anyone else?[/quote]

Here is all fine:

traceroute to martfox.com (89.238.174.27), 25 hops max, 40 byte packets

1 85.17.222.124 (85.17.222.124) 0.469 ms

2 be11.crs.evo.leaseweb.net (85.17.100.225) 1.275 ms

3 xe-2-1-0.bb1.ams1.nl.gbxs.net (195.69.144.63) 2.282 ms

4 xe-3-1-0.bb1.lon2.uk.gbxs.net (193.27.64.82) 8.124 ms

5 Ohtele-north.Vlan948.bb1.lon2.uk.gbxs.net (77.243.178.18) 8.627 ms

6 no-rdns-yet.ohtele.com (89.238.140.113) 16.236 ms

7 89.238.174.1 (89.238.174.1) 16.150 ms

8 csc1.martfox.com (89.238.174.27) 16.008 ms

went for me at about 12 pm gmt for about 40 mins

Martfox have destroyed my website and my business. About 2 weeks ago Martfox decided to move my site to another server without telling me. As i was away on holiday at the time my site was down for 3 days without me realising it was down. I contacted Martfox, and a day or so later they told me to change my DNS to another server. I did this and my site was still down, so i contacted them again and they told me they had given me the wrong DNS info, and gave me another one to try. This still did not work, so they decided to suspend my account, and put up a page on my domain telling all my customers and any potential customers that my account had been suspended. When they finally gave me the correct DNS info about a week later, my site came back online, but it was full of errors, so i contacted Martfox about this and they said it was nothing to do with them. The site has been working fine with other hosting companies for 5 years until this Martfox cock up. I am now going to have to pay out a small fortune to get someone to fix my site of all the problems that have been caused by Martfox. They have destroyed my site, and my business and my reputation with my customers. Do not host your site with these cowboys under any circumstances you have been warned.