Martfox, my review

[quote name=‘tulan’]hi johnbol

are your martfox hosted websites up and running now?

as of 07.00 27th oct 2010 martfox.com and my site are both down since last night.

it would be good to hear if any other martfox customers are having the same problem as me[/QUOTE]

Yes I am still down @ 12:50 gmt.

I am not into bashing people for the first REAL problem but is well frustrating and I can see customers running for the door.

John

johnbol1

just like you im a UK based e-tailer

it was good at the beginning with martfox.

then once in september i logged a support ticket after it was closed i was queried by the support team if i had paid for my hosting/ssl/etc. and straight away they shut my site off until i could prove to them that i had paid for my martfox services!

shouldn’t martfox know if i have paid or not? it is not my fault if they changed from another payment provider (Moneybookers) to paypal.

and yes in the last 2 months i have suffered more downtime.

at the end of the day, the cost of hosting because less important as you want uptime.

i only went with martfox because it was easy to get cs-cart up and running with them. with other hosting providers it takes too much longer

Is there any update to this? I think that maybe updates could be posted to martfox twitter maybe?

Regards

the lack of updates is another frustration.

please, someone directly working for martfox, please give us hourly (or every 2 hours) updates to the problem

I am stunned. After some weeks in doubt about which ISP to use we decided to go with martfox for our 3 carts. This morning we went to register and couldn’t reach the site. Are we being saved by the devil?

When a hosting provider homepage is not reachable for an entire day… what does this say about them? :frowning:

[quote name=‘Flow’]I am stunned. After some weeks in doubt about which ISP to use we decided to go with martfox for our 3 carts. This morning we went to register and couldn’t reach the site. Are we being saved by the devil?

When a hosting provider homepage is not reachable for an entire day… what does this say about them? :([/QUOTE]

I’ve been running Martfox for 8 months now without any problems. I moved from Fasthosts which was a nightmare; i am still paying for their services (3 times as much) even now even though i haven’t used any. If Martfox fix the issue sometime today then I would still reccommend them. They should however contact cusomters to let them know what’s happening.

Why Martfox do not have 3 “A” Records specified where last 2 could point to another hosting company with an emergency website in case of any problems?

Update: The fsck has completed but we’re getting a kernel panic. The RAM has been changed and we’re not swapping a drive to try and resolve the issue.

Update: The fault has been narrowed down to a faulty RAID controller. We’re working on replacing this but may need to restore accounts from our R1Soft backups.

Date - 27/10/2010 00:55

Last Updated - 27/10/2010 16:49

We are sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience

Thank you for the updates

Dear Martfox customers,

The following notice affects clients on VPS2 only. If your VPS is currently up and runing the following doesn’t apply.

Earlier this morning around 1am our monitoring system alerted us of a problem with one of our VPS nodes, VPS2. We immediately logged into the server to see it had gone into read-only mode.

The server was rebooted to perform an fsck (filesystem check) which takes several hours to find and repair any errors on the drives. Once this completed we started another fsck, usually this only takes a few minutes however it took several hours again.

Once this had then completed we restarted and were greeted with a kernel panic error, one that is usually associated with a RAM problem. The RAM was changed but the error did not clear.

At the moment we have replaced both drives, the RAID controller and the RAM. We are going to have to restore the server from the latest backup, taken at 1am on 26th October to get back up and running.

Once all services are running you will be credited for 3 months free service for the downtime.

Please be assured we are working as quickly as we can to restore service and all updates we have will be posted here.

We are sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Martfox IS,

Mike

thank you for the update! appreciated!

is there any eta when the servers may be functional again?

thanks again

So im guessing we are still waiting for this to be fixed? Ive never had as many problems with any other webhost in years as i have with martfox and ive only been with them since may.

Hard to find out whats going on when their site is down too. Bit of a bad image for a webhosts site to be down, makes me laugh a bit. Then a remember my business is suffering because of it!

Some good hosting companies have always a spare server with latest distro in case of any troubles. Having a spare one in place could save hours of frustrations. It would be enough to move the drives and have it sorted in an hour unless,…

…the company really own just one dedicated server with their own website, DNS and customers data…and it’s pretending to be a very big one. I really feel sorry for some of you guys [customers] because I went through the same in the past.

Get the additional “A” record pointed to an emergency website and get yourself a Twitter account to keep people updated. This takes minutes and it’s very easy to set up.

According to their website they host like thousands and thousands of websites…

I find that hard to believe if they dont have a spare server or correct “A” records.

also, been kinda quiet since martfox went down, Indy isn’t posting as much LOL :rolleyes:

Wish all the best for their customers who are losing money.

This might be a silly question, but how come i can access my site, but most other people cant? There seems to be a handful that can still get on there…? Why does this happen?

Update: The server has restarted and all VMs are starting to come online.

Date - 27/10/2010 00:55

Last Updated - 28/10/2010 03:15am

[quote name=‘TashNZ’]This might be a silly question, but how come i can access my site, but most other people cant? There seems to be a handful that can still get on there…? Why does this happen?[/quote]

Probably your site is hosted on a different server.

[quote name=‘Noman’]…unless, the company really own just one dedicated server…[/quote]

All Martfox servers are listed in the screenshot.

image-005.jpg

So, then lack of knowledge or ignorance.

i think what norman is saying, why isnt there a back up server for “VPS node 2”?

we’re not talking about martfox having just 1 physical server for their own use.

why couldn’t a backup server take over from “VPS node 2”? and then restore backup date on to the stand by server.

correct me if i am wrong, but if you have a faulty RAID controller can you still not use the RAID with a new controller straight away with a standby server? assuming you have already configured it with a RAID controller?

then again, if you pay peanuts for webhosting, you get…

i think you know the message i am getting at.