XML Sitemap Generator v2.6

I’ll take a look…

Edit: Uh, so I took a look. Seems like you threw everything I’d done away. I.e. there’s no more SEO and there’s no more file output. So no, I won’t invest any more time in this but I will create one for my clients. Seems like the only “issue” to really fix in the 2.0.6 version is to get categories/sub-categories in the URL. If there are other defects that were corrected, please let me know.

Personally, I don’t really want my sites ixdexed as site.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=123, would much prefer site.com/toothbrush.html

Note that even with the category “issue” things still resolve to a page that can be indexed. I.e.:

Product Name: Tootbrush

in category 1: green-toothbrushes/tootbrush.html

in category 2: blue-toothbrushes/tootbrush.html

Note that the search engines care what’s in toothbrush.html, not what the directory path is that leads up to it. They will get the information they really want from the Title in the page versus the url that was used to get to the page being indexed. So referencing toothbrush.html by any of the following has the same result and doesn’t get you any more or less page-rank as a result:

site.com/toothbrush.html

site.com/blue-toothbrushes/toothbrush.html

site.com/green-tootbrushes/toothbrush.html

The important thing is that tootbrush.html provide the “content” needed to get a good page ranking (title, keywords in content, good links in/out, etc.). I realize that the store owners feel better when they see their categories in the URL, but the fact is that you can actually loose page ranking by having “multiple paths” to the same page.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]Seems like the only “issue” to really fix in the 2.0.6 version is to get categories/sub-categories in the URL. If there are other defects that were corrected, please let me know.[/QUOTE]

If you can fix this that would be great.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]Personally, I don’t really want my sites ixdexed as site.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=123, would much prefer site.com/toothbrush.html[/QUOTE]

I’m very confused by this, do you not have the SEO Addon enabled? because the pages do have SEO urls if the addon is enalbed.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]Note that even with the category “issue” things still resolve to a page that can be indexed. I.e.:

Product Name: Tootbrush

in category 1: green-toothbrushes/tootbrush.html

in category 2: blue-toothbrushes/tootbrush.html[/QUOTE]

for some reason this was not the case when category urls were included, the url should have been:

<www.mywebsite.com>/green-toothbrushes/tootbrush/

but outputed:

<www.mywebsite.com>/green-toothbrushes/tootbrush.html

which caused a 401, this is what all the complaints above are about…

If it can’t be fixed that’s fine, if we can fix it then 2.08 is coming out this week, we can work together on it and get a new version that works better, let us know, Thanks - Sno

No no no, in sitemap addon 2.0.4, the output of category is always Custom Application Development Software for Business - Salesforce.com, no matter it’s a root category or a subcategory, this has caused a lot of troubles.

Another thing is the new version 2.0.5 works very well and there is only one SEO url can be accessed, which is very good.

[quote]

If you can fix this that would be great.

[/quote]

Isn’t that point resolved by your use of fn_convert_php_urls()?

[quote]

I’m very confused by this, do you not have the SEO Addon enabled? because the pages do have SEO urls if the addon is enalbed.

[/quote]

I took a brief look a the code and saw all the dispatch= stuff. I did not see that it was conditional upon SEO activation status and then uses fn_convert_php_urls(). Not an issue.

It appears that to correctly (though I really don’t think this is necessary or ever really correct for a sitemap) generate a unique url for each product and each category; that you’re going to have to walk the product categories and then insert a new tag for each instance of product_id/category_id you find.

[quote]

but outputed:

[/quote]

I think you mean for your second example to be www.mysite.com/green-tootlbrushes/toothbrush.html.

A category better be resolvable to a ‘category.html’ page which is the url. Don’t confuse the web server default behavior of providing a directory name as a URL; and then having it find the appropriate ‘default’ page to load (though this is the basis for "friendly URL’s in cs-cart). Anytime you can provide a fully qualified URL, you are better off. Hence I don’t believe categories should have their URL’s generated without the html suffix.

For green-toothbrushes/toothbrush.html to work, the following need to be true:

1. A category with an SEO name of ‘green-toothbrushes’ must exist.
  2. A product with an SEO name of ‘toothbrush’ must exist and must belong to the ‘green-toothbrush’ category.

Then a reference to mysite.com/green-toothbrushes/toothbrush.html should resolve correctly. If not, there’s a problem in how things are defined within the system.

Note that in 2.0.7 SEO name resolution is severely broken. It is so bad that I’ve had to revert my site and my clients sites back to 2.0.6. It’s been a week since I reported the problem and there is no solution available yet (actually they are still in denial). So relying upon 2.0.7 to correctly resolve an SEO name (especially one that is related to a sub-page) is probably not the best test to be using to validate if the SEO is working correctly.

I won’t move to 2.0.8 till they can demonstrate they’ve fixed the issues in 2.07 first! I’ve kind of had it with “try this” or “can’t reproduce in the standard cs-cart”. Overall quality has taken a big step backward.

Not sure why these keep being associated with new CS-cart versions. I don’t see anything in here that is version specific (at least that wouldn’t work on 2.0.6).

Happy to work with you, the filename creation can be easily done with output buffering so there’s clear separation between all the HERE documents and where the resulting data is output.

And I still don’t see where the output to a file is the cause of any of the issues identified above. They are all SEO issues and in reality, are not even really “issues” at all other than most users expect to see their categories in the URL but the robots could care less. Having the trailing segment of the URL relate to the page title (content in the page) is the most important thing.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]I won’t move to 2.0.8 till they can demonstrate they’ve fixed the issues in 2.07 first! I’ve kind of had it with “try this” or “can’t reproduce in the standard cs-cart”. Overall quality has taken a big step backward.[/QUOTE]

I agree, let’s wait unill 2.08 and see if the SEO bugs have been fixed, then we can move forward with correcting the issues with the xml sitemap, Thanks - Sno

I updated to the latest version in the first post and somehow broke this.

I also tried installing it on a virgin copy to see if I had something wrong with my live copy and still cant get it to work.

Just to be clear… the xml_sitemap folder gets uploaded to the addons folder on the store?

[quote name=‘timst’]I updated to the latest version in the first post and somehow broke this.

I also tried installing it on a virgin copy to see if I had something wrong with my live copy and still cant get it to work.

Just to be clear… the xml_sitemap folder gets uploaded to the addons folder on the store?[/QUOTE]

Hi

Yes you want to upload it and with it’s contents to “ADDONS” in your ROOT directory.

[quote name=‘BarryH’]Hi

Yes you want to upload it and with it’s contents to “ADDONS” in your ROOT directory.[/QUOTE]

Hmm… ok, I did it right then… guess I have something else wrong…

The addon is installed in the correct directory, and I did install it via the install link in the addons…

The “update sitemap” link is missing from the contents tab as well. Is yours present?

The 2.06 version was working for me, so not sure what I did wrong.

I did flush the templates folder with the &cc command with no luck.

I’ll keep playing around with this to see whats up.

[quote name=‘timst’]Hmm… ok, I did it right then… guess I have something else wrong…

The addon is installed in the correct directory, and I did install it via the install link in the addons…

The “update sitemap” link is missing from the contents tab as well. Is yours present?

I’ll keep playing around with this to see whats up.[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem !! no “update sitemap” tab :confused:

[quote name=‘timst’]Hmm… ok, I did it right then… guess I have something else wrong…

I’ll keep playing around with this to see whats up.[/QUOTE]

[quote name=‘MTHawkins’]I have the same problem !! no “update sitemap” tab :confused:[/QUOTE]

You need to read through the whole thread!

It has changed a couple of times!

[quote name=‘BarryH’]You need to read through the whole thread!

It has changed a couple of times![/QUOTE]

Can you give me a clue where to look then? as I dont fancy trawling through 5 pages !!

Sorry but I would have to “trawl”

[quote name=‘BarryH’]Sorry but I would have to “trawl”[/QUOTE]

Dont worry, I trawled and found it …

Take it that the generated sitemap is found here:

…addons/xml_sitemap/controllers/customer/xml_sitemap.php

when submitting using google webmaster tools :confused:

[quote name=‘BarryH’]You need to read through the whole thread!

It has changed a couple of times![/QUOTE]

Sorry, I’ve looked through the entire thread twice and I don’t see any mention on where the Update Sitemap link under the Content tab has changed or moved.

This functionality has been removed, Tony has rewritten the XML Sitemap and fixed some earlier issues, when 2.08 is released which we heard was this week, we’ll test the Addon on 2.08 and will notify everyone who is a registered user at snorocket.com about the release, Thanks - Sno

Should the page 2, page 3, etc of each category be in the sitemap as well?

kogi

Hi, someone know if sitemap 2.07 and cs-cart 2.08 are full compatibile?

Because i’ve installed but in content tab don’t appear any option run/create…

Probably install method is wrong? And where a buy a full version compatible?

Thanks.

Changed in the latest version, it’s created when accessed

Domain.com

Or edit you .htaccess

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showpost.php?p=59015&postcount=80[/url]

Hi,

when I look at the generated xml I see lots of -1-2-3-4…

some of them hit -71

Why is this?

Red

The latest version is 2.7 and can be downloaded from www.snorocket.com, Thanks - Sno