USPS january 26 changes

Has anyone looked into the changes to USPS slated for January 26, 2013. Looks like there is going to be more than a simple rate increase. renaming of some services and changing what the service handle.

Hope this does not turn out to be a nightmare for all os us running new or older versions of cs-cart.

David

Hello David,

Thank you for your message.

I have forwarded this information to our engineers. They will examine it properly in the nearest time and implement the necessary changes to USPS scripts in CS-Cart in one of the next CS-Cart releases if need be. Also if these changes are minor, most probably we will provide a patch for older CS-Cart versions.

Thank you.

Pavel Zyukin

CS-Cart Support team

Hi;

These changes are going into effect Jan 27th. When can we get the patches?

Jack

Hello Jack,

Thank you for your message.

We have contacted USPS regarding these changes and they told us that all the necessary changes will be made on their side and there is no need to change the USPS script in CS-Cart.

Thank you.

Pavel Zyukin

CS-Cart Support team

Good news, thank you for the update Pavel.

Hello Struck,

You are welcome.

Pavel Zyukin

CS-Cart Support team

My 1st Class Airmail isn't working now, and it worked fine yestereday. So, I think something has changed that needs a code change. Anyone else run into this?

Yes they changed the name of the USPS First-Class Mail International to something else … THEY DO THIS ALL THE TIME AND ALL IT DOES IS CAUSE PROBLEMS!!! They continuing 'tweak' the names and I really wish they would stop!!! You never see UPS or FedEx deciding 'UPS Ground' to just to bland … lets call it UPS Ground Package Service.

Anyhow, that is the problem of why once again there is a problem now with the USPS shipping code.

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Fixed … First, make a backup copy of your database before making ANY change!![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]In the CS-Cart database,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]cscart_shipping_services >> Find field service_id “204” >>> Change 'code' field to “First Class Package International Service”.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]cscart_shipping_service_descriptions >> Find field service_id “204” >>> Change 'description' field to “USPS First-Class Package International Service”[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]-Tim[/font][/color]

Thanks Tim,

But, I don't even know how to edit the database. I have to wait for CS-Cart to make the sql and post it. That is what they did last time.

Bob

Wow … USPS are going to cause me to have some hate e-mails from customers.

Just last week 1 lb to Spain via USPS First-Class International was $11.60 USD … Now it is $16.75 USD for the same exact shipment/weight/location.

Ugh…

Good luck waiting for cs-cart. Last year it took them several weeks to issue said sql statement. Yes, I’ve been dealing with this every year for like 8 years now (with different carts). Thanks Tim! That’s a big rate increase and that’s going to hurt. :(

This would be correct for implementing what Tim stated right?

UPDATE [color=#ff0000]NAME OF YOUR CART[/color].cscart_shipping_services SET code = 'First Class Package International Service' WHERE cscart_shipping_services.service_id =204;

UPDATE [color=#ff0000]NAME OF YOUR CART[/color].cscart_shipping_service_descriptions SET description = 'USPS First-Class Package International Service' WHERE cscart_shipping_service_descriptions.service_id =204 AND cscart_shipping_service_descriptions.lang_code = 'EN';

My first order today posted as incomplete even though the order was paid for thru Paypal. It was a First Class Mail shipment. I've not had any problems previously, so I must assume this has something to do with the USPS changes.

Has anyone else had any issues with Domestic shipments? If not, does anyone have any troubleshooting help they can give me to resolve this?

(Can you tell me where to find what version I am using?)

Thanks

PayPal is having issues at the moment.

https://www.x.com/content/update-3-issue-receiving-instant-payment-notifications-ipns-jan-27

Strongly suggest not using hard coded service_id's but instead doing a proper JOIN to get the item you want.

In this case you can probably more easily just replace the old string with the new one having the WHERE specify the old value.

Can this be fixed using PHPmyAdmin? If so, can someone give me a step by step how to fix it? I'd like to have my site give the option of First Class International Mail, which it is not doing since the changes went into effect. Thanks in advance.

Hello all,

Thank you for your messages.

Indeed, it seems that the appropriate changes still should be made to CS-Cart according to the new changes on the USPS side. We have sent another e-mail message to the USPS support team in order to find out whether any additional changes should be made. Last time from their answer we understood that nothing needs to be changed. In fact it was wrong. I apologize for my previous confusing answer.

I am glad to hear that you have found a solution to the issue with the USPS First Class International service. Still if some of you experience any other issues related to recent USPS changes, please do not hesitate to contact us via Customer Help Desk and describe your issue in detail so that we could provide instructions on how to resolve it or resolve the issue directly on your server if you wish. Note that this issue is still being examined by our engineers though there is already a fix provided in this forum thread. They need to check this fix first and see if some other changes are required so that we could provide you with the proper instructions.

Thank you.

Pavel Zyukin

CS-Cart Support team

[quote name='kingsleypress' timestamp='1359423818' post='153881']

Can this be fixed using PHPmyAdmin? If so, can someone give me a step by step how to fix it? I'd like to have my site give the option of First Class International Mail, which it is not doing since the changes went into effect. Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

Yes, log into phpMyAdmin and select your CS-Cart database in the left menu.

Scroll down the list of tables and find the “cscart_shipping_services” table. Click on the table name.

The table data will load in the right pane. Click on the header/name of the field labeled “service_id” to sort the values ascending. On page 4 (in my case) you will find service_id 204. The code field for this record should be “First Class Mail International Parcels” .Click the Edit link and change the code field to “First Class Package International Service” (without the double quotes). If the code field for service_id 204 is something else, then find the code field “First Class Mail International Parcels” and change that one. Click the Go button to apply your change.

Follow the same instructions for the database table named “cscart_shipping_service_descriptions” (in the left menu), and on page 5 (in my case), click the edit link for the record with description “USPS First-Class Mail International Parcels”. Change the description to “USPS First-Class Package International Service” (without the double quotes). Click the Go button to apply your change.

Incidentally, “Parcel Post” was also changed to “USPS Standard Post”.

CS-Cart uses a code named Parcel Post M and Parcel Post N (for machinable or non-machinable) and I'm not certain what changes need to be made here to utilize this service. I don't use it.

My postmaster tells me that with the rate increase, there is also a service added to First Class parcels - the Delivery Confirmation sticker is discontinued and the PO's internal tracking numbers are now used for all First Class tracking. (Delivery Confirmation is renamed to USPS Tracking). I attempted to track one of the tracking numbers assigned to a First Class package yesterday, but it did not track. We never used to have access to these internal tracking numbers.

It appears as though the tracking is still an additional service that must be added on/paid for, but the process has been simplified for First Class.