Upgrade 2.0.15 - 2.1.0 hangs during backup of files with local mods

I am trying to upgrade from 2.0.15 to 2.1.0, but nothing works. I am using Internet Explorer 8. I get to the “Check” screen where it says, “The following files have local modification. They will be backed up and you need to resolve conflicts manually after upgrade,” I click on the “Continue” button, and then I just see it create 17 lines of … until it gets to the 18th line of …'s where it only gets about 20% through the width of the screen when it hangs and never completes.

I have called GoDaddy multiple times, and they of course say there's nothing wrong on their end. Tony of http://www.ez-ms.com/ tried to help me. He tried using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer in case it was an IE issue, but got the same result. He said the issue is in the obnoxiously slow performance of my database. GoDaddy told me there were 2 files with a $ in front. They said GoDaddy wasn't recognizing the $ as a valid character, so it was stopping and holding some of those files. I renamed those files (for a Google sitemap), but it of course made no difference in my upgrade trials - just made their crappy File Manager a bit quicker (whoop-dee-do). Please help!!! Thank you!

Susie

[quote name='susie' timestamp='1310955299' post='117527']

I am trying to upgrade from 2.0.15 to 2.1.0, but nothing works. I am using Internet Explorer 8. I get to the “Check” screen where it says, “The following files have local modification. They will be backed up and you need to resolve conflicts manually after upgrade,” I click on the “Continue” button, and then I just see it create 17 lines of … until it gets to the 18th line of …'s where it only gets about 20% through the width of the screen when it hangs and never completes.

I have called GoDaddy multiple times, and they of course say there's nothing wrong on their end. Tony of http://www.ez-ms.com/ tried to help me. He tried using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer in case it was an IE issue, but got the same result. He said the issue is in the obnoxiously slow performance of my database. GoDaddy told me there were 2 files with a $ in front. They said GoDaddy wasn't recognizing the $ as a valid character, so it was stopping and holding some of those files. I renamed those files (for a Google sitemap), but it of course made no difference in my upgrade trials - just made their crappy File Manager a bit quicker (whoop-dee-do). Please help!!! Thank you!

Susie

[/quote]

Move from GoDaddy.

In most cases you are moving all files from their folders (upgrade does it) to /var/backup/upgrade-version-here/backup etc.

The process is extremely heavy on memory and cpu usage, accordingly you are capped at GoDaddy, same thing happens for every upgrade on GD.

[quote name='JesseLeeStringer' timestamp='1310956835' post='117528']

Move from GoDaddy.

In most cases you are moving all files from their folders (upgrade does it) to /var/backup/upgrade-version-here/backup etc.

The process is extremely heavy on memory and cpu usage, accordingly you are capped at GoDaddy, same thing happens for every upgrade on GD.

[/quote]

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for replying. I've done lots of CS-Cart upgrades before this one, all while on GoDaddy. The other upgrades have worked. Is there some manual way to upgrade that you know of? Thanks in advance!

[quote name='susie' timestamp='1310957166' post='117529']

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for replying. I've done lots of CS-Cart upgrades before this one, all while on GoDaddy. The other upgrades have worked. Is there some manual way to upgrade that you know of? Thanks in advance!

[/quote]

Also, move from GoDaddy to where? Tony said maybe try Hostgator or another. What do you suggest / use?

[quote name='susie' timestamp='1310957389' post='117530']

Also, move from GoDaddy to where? Tony said maybe try Hostgator or another. What do you suggest / use?

[/quote]

I'm sure Tony could host you without too much trouble (as far as I know)

Personally I host with ServInt.net - but it's a VPS server so you'll need to find someone to manage it for you.

[quote name='JesseLeeStringer' timestamp='1310959006' post='117532']

I'm sure Tony could host you without too much trouble (as far as I know)

Personally I host with ServInt.net - but it's a VPS server so you'll need to find someone to manage it for you.

[/quote]

ServInt.net is the other one Tony mentioned, but that doesn't sound like it'd be doable / affordable for us. Does anyone know how to manually upgrade or what I can do to make the upgrade work? I've done lots of CS-Cart upgrades, all while on GoDaddy's servers, so why won't this one work??

Any chance someone from CS-Cart will reply back to me so that I can upgrade our site? I still need help. It hangs while trying to backup files that had modifications and never completes the upgrade to 2.1.0, so I can't do any of the subsequent upgrades, either. Please help! Thank you!

Anyone anywhere? Getting help here seems to be a bit like watching grass grow…

[quote]Anyone anywhere? Getting help here seems to be a bit like watching grass grow… [/quote]

Susie,

Two quite experienced forum members strongly recommended that the very first thing you need to do is move your site to a business level host, I don’t think they stuttered. :D

The longer you avoid that advise, the larger the knots will get from beating your head on your desk, that much I can promise.

Go to Hostgator.com and select the best plan that fits your budget, and ask them to move your site from godaddy for you. Then, finish your upgrade. :)

[quote name=‘Struck’ timestamp=‘1311225256’ post=‘117840’]

Susie,

Two quite experienced forum members strongly recommended that the very first thing you need to do is move your site to a business level host, I don’t think they stuttered. :D

The longer you avoid that advise, the larger the knots will get from beating your head on your desk, that much I can promise.

Go to Hostgator.com and select the best plan that fits your budget, and ask them to move your site from godaddy for you. Then, finish your upgrade. :)

[/quote]

But there are others on the CS Cart forum telling people on Hostgator that they should move. As much as that seems to be the catchall answer, I don’t buy it. Sure, maybe it will help, but what’s to say I won’t have the exact same issues on Hostgator or elsewhere?

Still watching the grass grow… Tick, tock… :blink:

[quote]But there are others on the CS Cart forum telling people on Hostgator that they should move[/quote]

I talk alot, but I read even more, and I don’t recall seeing any negative posts regarding Hostgator with any legitimate basis. I am not guaranteeing they are the best host on the planet, actually not guaranteeing anything (I am far too smart to guarantee anything that I don’t have complete control of), I simply thought they would be a good fit for your situation as well as actually offering pretty good value.

The reason you are not getting alot of responses, is because several of us fully realize that until you move from a bubblegum beginners level host such as godaddy, then it is basically a waste of time in making other suggestions. Consider it as a crumbling foundation that your home is sitting on and you are asking for help in preventing your home from settling more than it already has, 1st thing to do is fix the foundation. :unsure:

[quote name=‘Struck’ timestamp=‘1311226363’ post=‘117845’]

I talk alot, but I read even more, and I don’t recall seeing any negative posts regarding Hostgator with any legitimate basis. I am not guaranteeing they are the best host on the planet, actually not guaranteeing anything, I simply thought they would be a good fit for your situation as well as actually offering pretty good value.

The reason you are not getting alot of responses, is because several of us fully realize that until you move from a bubblegum beginners level host such as godaddy, then it is basically a waste of time in making other suggestions. Consider it as a crumbling foundation that your home is sitting on and you are asking for help in preventing your home from settling more than it already has, 1st thing to do is fix the foundation. :unsure:

[/quote]

Don’t know if that really is true or not, but Hostgator doesn’t seem like a good choice. Lower ranking than Godaddy here: Hosting Review: Compare & Review Best Web Hosting Providers

Maybe some other host. Who knows?

Ever hear of www.bluehost.com? Some places online say they’re good for CS-Cart, and their site says they have something like VPS but for everyone on their servers. See here: http://www.bluehost.com/cgi/info/resource_protection

[quote name=‘susie’ timestamp=‘1311227022’ post=‘117847’]

Don’t know if that really is true or not, but Hostgator doesn’t seem like a good choice. Lower ranking than Godaddy here: Hosting Review: Compare & Review Best Web Hosting Providers

Maybe some other host. Who knows?

Ever hear of www.bluehost.com? Some places online say they’re good for CS-Cart, and their site says they have something like VPS but for everyone on their servers. See here: http://www.bluehost.com/cgi/info/resource_protection

[/quote]

Another very good option for you:

Shared Hosting for Fast & Secure Websites | InMotion Hosting

No more talk about godaddy, simply search for “godaddy” here in the forums and come to your own conclusion…!

Regarding Hostgator, they have far exceeded my expectations for over a year now (Level 3 VPS Plan w/CPanel Option), and I am not easily pleased and far from a beginner in running ecomm sites. :blink:

[quote name=‘Struck’ timestamp=‘1311227887’ post=‘117848’]

Another very good option for you:

Shared Hosting for Fast & Secure Websites | InMotion Hosting

No more talk about godaddy, simply search for “godaddy” here in the forums and come to your own conclusion…!

Regarding Hostgator, they have far exceeded my expectations for over a year now (Level 3 VPS Plan), and I am not easily pleased and far from a beginner in running ecomm sites. :blink:

[/quote]

I tried inmotionhosting back in September and cancelled it in October. They were awful. Maybe you only like Hostgator because your $40/month plan is good and the non-VPS plans will suck the same as GoDaddy and InMotion… :( Thanks, though, for the info. Have a good night.

Susie,

Lol, I am actually trying to help you, although, i don’t think you have figured that out yet! :D

Here are some more webhosting reviews you can read about, it’s great to read them, just make sure you read alot of them before coming to any conclusions as there are loads of biased opinions to sort thru.

Page Not Found | InMotion Hosting

You are a godaddy employee aren’t you? :o

Susie,

While I personally host with ServInt, I've helped out a few people that use HostGator's shared hosting and one guy that is on HostGator's VPS. I will say, I've been pretty impressed with the speeds and reliability of HostGator. If I were looking for a shared hosting plan, I think I'd probably go with them.

I do agree with Struck about GoDaddy. They are a complete waste of time and money and you will continue to have problems as long as you are hosted with them.

Hope that helps,

Brandon

You could try to find advice on what is the best way to upgrade. Maybe a clean installation of 2.1.4 and csv import of products and accounts is the best options. Or even no upgrade at all.

Overall 2.1.4 requires more resources when numbers of visitors increase or you have a lot of graphics or filters. That is why most people leave hostgator for a VPS. Any shared will limit resources.

Have you ever used Cpanel? People recommend HG because of Cpanel and the chat support. Also they have a killer discount on thanksgiving day.

[quote name=‘colortone’ timestamp=‘1311231386’ post=‘117853’]

You could try to find advice on what is the best way to upgrade. Maybe a clean installation of 2.1.4 and csv import of products and accounts is the best options. Or even no upgrade at all.

Overall 2.1.4 requires more resources when numbers of visitors increase or you have a lot of graphics or filters. That is why most people leave hostgator for a VPS. Any shared will limit resources.

Have you ever used Cpanel? People recommend HG because of Cpanel and the chat support. Also they have a killer discount on thanksgiving day.

[/quote]

I’ve never heard of Cpanel before. A clean install sounds like a daunting task to get all the parts I’ve customized and the parts I’ve designed to show up again. Maybe I’ll give HostGator a try.

What do you mean by have a lot of filters? I don’t really have very many graphics, and I crunch all of our product images with xat.com first, so the images are small and quick to load. I’m also getting fairly good results with the speed test places (gtmetrix.com, webpagetest.org) even though I’m on GoDaddy. And even though they suck, the major problems in the past I’ve encountered where none of my form mailer emails were working for months actually all stemmed from a CS-Cart issue and had nothing to do with GoDaddy. I don’t mind so much changing to a different host. It’s more the issue of all the work involved in doing that only to find I have the same issues as before. But if you guys seem to think I won’t, then maybe I have to give it a try. There are some things I don’t like about GoDaddy (and no, I’m definitely NOT a GoDaddy employee). But until we start seeing more sales directly from our site, I can’t see spending $40/month for hosting. I just want to get the damn upgrades done with and not think about it again for another 6 months or so… :P

[quote name=‘Struck’ timestamp=‘1311229497’ post=‘117850’]

Susie,

Lol, I am actually trying to help you, although, i don’t think you have figured that out yet! :D

Here are some more webhosting reviews you can read about, it’s great to read them, just make sure you read alot of them before coming to any conclusions as there are loads of biased opinions to sort thru.

Page Not Found | InMotion Hosting

You are a godaddy employee aren’t you? :o

[/quote]

Did you mean to include a different link? The one you had just came from InMotionHosting, and they have burned their bridges with me. They weren’t able to move CS-Cart over and kept giving me the run-around until I gave up and went back to GoDaddy (or stayed with them, rather, because the cart never became live at InMotionHosting).

[quote name='susie' timestamp='1311220827' post='117839']

Anyone anywhere? Getting help here seems to be a bit like watching grass grow…

[/quote]

Although I can see that you are now absorbing what Struck has to say, for all intents and purposes:

1. If you have a shitty host, you WILL have a shitty store.

[list=1]

[]Lower Google rankings (due to slow load)

[
    ]Insufficient resources to provide information to customers

[]appearance of errors, due to above

[
    ]lack of rankings as your site is indexed displaying errors

[/list]

2. If you can only spend $10 p/m on hosting, consider whatever you are doing to be a complete and utter waste of time. SnoRocket's popular saying is that “if you don't spend more on your hosting than your cell phone bill each month” which rings true for just about anything that's supposedly dedicated to providing your website to the internet population at ANY point in time. Now revert back to 1) and review again.

3. My shortlist:

[list]

[]BlueHost = Advocated by members of this forum (Not me)

[
    ]HostGator = Advocated by members of this forum (Not me)

[]FutureHost = Advocated by members of this forum (Not me)

[
    ]VPS.net = Partially suitable if you have a third-party server technician

[]ServInt = As Above

[
    ]WiredTree = As Above

[]InMotionHosting = NOT suitable

[
    ]GoDaddy = NOT suitable

[]HostMonster = NOT Suitable

[
    ]RochenHost = NOT suitable

[]SiteGround = NOT suitable (Yes, CS-Cart gain commissions)

[
    ]Martfox = Not Suitable (Just moved a client from their VPS, don't know if shared would work however am not advocating it regardless)

[*]A2host = NOT Suitable (Member of this forum's complaint is lack of support)

[/list]

4. Watching websites grow is interesting enough, lay off the grass at 5:37AM