Should I Sumbit Sitemap While Store Is Closed?

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but we plan to open on 9/27. I’ve read both on this forum and the SE FAQ’s that the SE’s could take weeks before our site is listed in their index and I’d like to get a jump start on that process.

What’s the opinion on submitting the sitemap to the SE’s perhaps a week before we open? Can the SE’s even crawl our site when the store is closed or will index.php knock them out? One issue I can think of is that if by some off chance we get indexed before we open, we could have people hitting our site with a big “Store Closed” sign but I might be willing to take that chance.

Thanks for any advice or opinions.

I wouldn’t recommend to upload the sitemap because as you said the people will be redirected to the ‘Store Closed’ site. Anyway the pages will be crawled…

Hello,

How do I set up the Sitemap in google webmaster tools? I tried to set it up using

store/googlesitemap –

store/sitemapcategories.xml

store/sitemapindex.xml

store/sitemapproducts.xml

store/sitemap.xml

But all I get is all [COLOR=“Red”]X[/COLOR]

Do I need to add anything to my website datebase?

any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

[quote name=‘indy0077’]I wouldn’t recommend to upload the sitemap because as you said the people will be redirected to the ‘Store Closed’ site. Anyway the pages will be crawled…[/QUOTE]

Yeah I guess I might be jumping the gun here. We’ll wait until we open and let the orders pour in then. :slight_smile:

Thanks Indy

[quote name=‘tom437’]Hello,

How do I set up the Sitemap in google webmaster tools? I tried to set it up using

store/googlesitemap –

store/sitemapindex.xml

store/sitemap.xm

[/QUOTE]

I have not done this yet (obviously) but I imagine the sitemap is at [url]http://yourdomain/sitemap.xml[/url] as detailed in the addon:

Sitemap can be reached by the URL [url]yourdomain.com if SEO addon is enabled. If it is disabled, you need to add the following code to the “.htaccess” file to get this URL working:

RewriteRule ^sitemap.xml$ ./index.php?dispatch=xmlsitemap.view [L]

Add this line after the “RewriteBase” line.

The actual sitemap.xml file is in the public_html/var/cache directory.

[quote name=‘tom437’]Hello,

store/googlesitemap –

store/sitemapindex.xml

store/sitemap.xml

But all I get is all [COLOR=Red]X[/COLOR]

Do I need to add anything to my website datebase?

any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you[/quote]

In your admin site:

1. enable your SEO add-on
  2. clear your cache (delete all files and folders in /var/cache/ and /var/compiled/
  3. go to Administration > Add-Ons > Google Sitemap
  4. click on ‘Edit’
  5. check the link of your sitemap (e.g. [URL]http://www.yourdomain.xx/sitemap.xml[/URL]
  6. put the sitemap URL in your webmaster tools (without the root address) like sitemap.xml
  7. submit or resubmit the sitemap

I tried to enable the SEO addon, it will not active, I get this

(Request: array ( ‘version’ => ‘’, )

Response: 404 Not Found

Not Found

The requested URL /index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

)

Does it have something to do with my server host?

Try to clear your cache again (delete all files and folders in /var/cache/ and /var/compiled/

I did it, but it did not work. check my attachment.:frowning: :frowning:

help me.gif

[quote name=‘tom437’]I did it, but it did not work. check my attachment.:frowning: :([/quote]

It seems like a .htaccess or server configuration problem. Is the ‘mod_rewrite’ enabled on your server.

I just check the PHP information and I don’t see it there. How do I know if the ‘mod_rewrite’ enabled?

And do I have to tell my server host to enabled it?

Thank you

You’ll have to contact your hosting company and ask them to add it to the Apache configuration.

Thank you, I let you know when or if I get it working.

Hey indy0077,

Thank you for you help, I did what you said and tell my website host, and now its work.:smiley:

Inside my google webmaster tool, I click on the robots.txt and it said (Oops! This link appears to be broken.)

How can I fix that? or do I need to fix it?

any help will be much appreicated.

[quote name=‘tom437’]Inside my google webmaster tool, I click on the robots.txt and it said (Oops! This link appears to be broken.)

How can I fix that? or do I need to fix it?

any help will be much appreicated.[/quote]

The path to the robot.txt has to be valid. Just check the path of the robots.txt file, usually it shows like: [url]http://www.yourdomain.xx/robots.txt[/url] (if your store is in the root).

My store not in the root, its in a subdirectory, so how do I change it from [url]yourdomain.com to [url]yourdomain.com

Its been a few hours now since submit the sitemap to google wedmaster tool, and this is what it said,

Submitted URLs

[COLOR=“Red”]0 URLs in web index [/COLOR]

Does it take that long to show how many pages it index?

[quote name=‘tom437’]Its been a few hours now since submit the sitemap to google wedmaster tool, and this is what it said,

Submitted URLs

[COLOR=Red]0 URLs in web index [/COLOR]

Does it take that long to show how many pages it index?[/quote]

Sure, days, weeks…

…months, years and never if Google doesn’t like it.:stuck_out_tongue:

[quote name=‘Tool Outfitters’]…months, years and never if Google doesn’t like it.:p[/quote]

That’s it!