Product Filter Question

Hi All,

Please take pity on a eCommerce newbie :shock:

I want to use product filters, but I don’t want my customers to be able to select multiple items from an array of check boxes. I just want them to be able to choose a single item.

Also, since there will be several filter items and each could have a large number of items in it, I want the filter list to be in the form of a drop down, not a permanently open list.

Ideas?

Anyone??

Use Extended filters type…

Thanks Stellar, but I don't see that option anywhere in the filters screen. There's just “expanded” or “minimized” as options, and they pertain to the array of check boxes, not a drop down.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

[quote name='MFD' timestamp='1360170225' post='154596']

Thanks Stellar, but I don't see that option anywhere in the filters screen. There's just “expanded” or “minimized” as options, and they pertain to the array of check boxes, not a drop down.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

[/quote]

Use Extended type for the Product Features. Then use Expanded Filter type to create this effect.

I think I see what you mean, but doing that just gives me the appearance of what I want in the back end.

From the front end, I still get the array of check boxes.

I have that set up in 3.0.5, so it displays something like this:

Filter by Products

Operating System

-Windows 8

-Windows 7

-Windows Vista

-Windows XP

Graphics Cards

-Nvidia

-ATI

If I click Windows 7, the sidebar displays Windows 7 only with a box to click to clear that option, as well as both Graphics Cards options. I can then click Nvidia, to be shown only Windows 7 with NVidia graphics cards. In effect, hiding the non-selected filters.

Is that what you're looking to do?

By default, CS cart assumes that the user will sometimes want to select several criteria at a time to narrow their search. I only want to offer one choice. This will also enable my developer to put the filter at the top of the page, freeing up the sidebar.

this website is pretty sloppy, but this is how I'd like my filter to generally work:

http://hardware.knobs4less.com/?style=handle

So initially you want more than one filter to display (eg. Operating System, Graphics Card, Memory, Hard Drive) but as soon as the customer clicks on any of those filter variants (eg. Operating System > Windows 7) you don't want any other filters to be displayed? If so, you could easily add a CSS class to the non-selected filters and style that CSS with display:none.

No. Not really. When I say i want the user to be able to select just one option, i mean from each option list.

In other words, the way CS cart is set up out of the box, the user can check off lots of choices from a particular option. I want to limit that selection to just one choice. That's why the drop down list would fit the bill perfectly.

I still want the user to be able to choose from the other option lists.

Pretty sure Brandon did a modification for V2 to do this, although I don't know if it was ever upgraded for V3.

Mike,

The attached file will make it so your features can be dropdowns. When you add your filter, you will see a checkbox to use a dropdown. Just select that checkbox.

The addon is pretty easy and only needs the one piece of code changed.

I hope it helps,

Brandon

Features_as_Dropdown.zip

Brandon,

Thank you, thank you, thank YOU! Exactly what I was looking for!

I've gotta say, I'm thrilled with the help I've already gotten from this forum. Hopefully there will come a day when I finally know enough to be giving advice to others. Until then… thanks again!

Mike

[quote name='brandonvd' timestamp='1360228471' post='154651']

Mike,

The attached file will make it so your features can be dropdowns. When you add your filter, you will see a checkbox to use a dropdown. Just select that checkbox.

The addon is pretty easy and only needs the one piece of code changed.

I hope it helps,

Brandon

[/quote]

Hello Brandon,

can you provide a link with how this dropdown filter to see how this look like ?

I installed this addon ,but that checkbox for drop down do not appear on filter page !?!

thanks

victorb

Sure. You can see it on one of my category pages like http://www.saltwatertogo.com/aquarium-additives-and-supplements.html

Sorry, I don't have admin access for you to check out though.

Thanks,

Brandon

[quote name='brandonvd' timestamp='1360437894' post='154803']

Sure. You can see it on one of my category pages like http://www.saltwater…upplements.html

Sorry, I don't have admin access for you to check out though.

Thanks,

Brandon

[/quote]

Thanks,

You mean “Brand” Filter ?

yes he means Brand filter,

i just installed too and dont see the check box yet either, I will dig around and check .

John

I thought he didn't want a checkbox?

I will say though, this doesn't work perfectly. I thought it did, but after playing with it a bit, I see some problems. For example, if you are on a main category with multiple brands, you can select a brand from the dropdown and it will sort. Unfortunately though, the brand doesn't stay active in the dropdown.

Also, the dropdown works similar to a checkbox for some reason. Since the selected brand isn't active in the dropdown, you can actually select other brands. This will then make it filter by multiple brands. Obviously not the way it is supposed to do.

I had this working on previous versions. I also had it so that when you select a filter, the non-used categories would be removed and the customers would only see information that is relevant to what they are filtering by. This is no longer working.

Apparently there is still work to be done on this addon, but I'll get something figured out.

Thanks,

Brandon

[quote name='brandonvd' timestamp='1360520927' post='154858']

I thought he didn't want a checkbox?

I will say though, this doesn't work perfectly. I thought it did, but after playing with it a bit, I see some problems. For example, if you are on a main category with multiple brands, you can select a brand from the dropdown and it will sort. Unfortunately though, the brand doesn't stay active in the dropdown.

Also, the dropdown works similar to a checkbox for some reason. Since the selected brand isn't active in the dropdown, you can actually select other brands. This will then make it filter by multiple brands. Obviously not the way it is supposed to do.

I had this working on previous versions. I also had it so that when you select a filter, the non-used categories would be removed and the customers would only see information that is relevant to what they are filtering by. This is no longer working.

Apparently there is still work to be done on this addon, but I'll get something figured out.

Thanks,

Brandon

[/quote]

Hi Brandon,

Some news ?

Has anyone here gotten this to work? My developer installed the add-on and the drop down unfortunately does not appear. Seems consistent with the several other commenters above who have also had trouble. Obviously it must work somehow, as it's functioning on Brandon's site.

This really is essential to the look & feel I'm trying for (filters across the top, products taking up the full width of the page), so if anyone here can shed some light I'd be very grateful.

I tried reaching out to the help desk, but all they can offer is to have their development staff make it from the ground-up. I hate to re-invent the wheel unnecessarily, but I'm running out of options here.

Anyone???