New addon "Quick search" is available for testing

[quote name=‘whiplash13’]Same results here… or lack there of.[/QUOTE]

ditto…we’re only getting results for 1 product even though 20+ other products should match the search - Sno

[quote name=‘snorocket’]ditto…we’re only getting results for 1 product even though 20+ other products should match the search - Sno[/QUOTE]

ditto +3.

Returns only 1 result.

Thank you for the feedback. I’ll check it.

Hi Alexions,

Running 2.1.14 getting fine results although the plugin at first was ignoring both limit preferences and image preferences - 10 results are appearing whenever possible without images, although I preferred 5.

I found that after I made changes to the preferences, I needed to clear the cache and regen the catalog for the change is preferences to be fully applied.

I would recommend that instead of having a ‘close’ link under all circumstances, it should be a ‘more…’ link that would take the person to the full search results page for the particular query if there were more listings than the current settings allowed to be shown.

Speed is good, and indexing is reasonably accurate. I think my customers will appreciate the hop drop.

I am finding that the prioritization algorithm needs a little work, although I may tweak the weights myself. For single words it does the trick, however, the weighting gets a little iffy when you have 2-3 word queues.

Ideally, the weighting should be title > features > tags > description.

UPDATE Hah - there really isn’t any weighting going on here - unless I am missing it completely.

Altered Cart had a phenomenal cached searching mechanism that they used for their replacement search for the original X-C - it used a cached catalog as well but included the ability to tweak weighting variables in coming up with an adequate score for results. These results were not built into the cached dataset, but were part of the result-generating algorithm so that the developer could tweak the priorities in ordering the results depending on where the search term was found .

It also included a ‘did you mean?’ term spelling corrector (I believe it used HMM generated stats or nearest neighbor to find correct spellings based on product information input) and actually offered results using the first autosuggest feature if no results were shown for a query. Very sophisticated and powerful - it raised the bar on sales dramatically.

Not saying I expect the same - just saying this was basically the search that saved X-C when their internal out-of-the-box search was so completely dysfunctional.

Hi Alexions, I agree with many of Jacobs comments above, the altered cart addon for x-craaap, one of the features I like best is:

Custom algorithm to aid in both singular and plural forms of words, for example if I type basketball, it should display results not only basketball but also basketballs

For reference purposes see:

[url]Welcome alteredCart Customers To Gahela | Gahela Software

*Also see the “one page checkout” mod, this is how CS’s one page checkout should be setup -Sno

Still doesn’t work for me. Cannot search by product CODE

The CODE is: TM-458774 and when I type TM-458 nothing happens.Only if I enter all characters into the Search field, it will come up. Any solution please?

Great addon tbh… :slight_smile:

The problem from what i see is:

1. Only one product are found.
  2. No way where you can change the numbers or products you want to show.
  3. Might be to slow

[quote name=‘cassim’]Great addon tbh… :slight_smile:

The problem from what i see is:

1. Only one product are found.

2. No way where you can change the numbers or products you want to show.
  2. Might be to slow[/QUOTE]

You can change the number of items to display in the Quick search options in Administration->Addons. Look for “Number of products in search result”. Unfortunately, this is meaningless until the first issue addressed.

Bob

[quote name=‘snorocket’]*Also see the “one page checkout” mod, this is how CS’s one page checkout should be setup -Sno[/QUOTE]

This is the problem though, everyone is different. You like the layout of that one page checkout. I hate it and think it’s worse than CS Cart. Don’t think it’s clear or well laid out at all and wouldn’t want CS Cart to copy that.

They only need to improve the layout and description of the current one page checkout and it would be fine.

I don’t think they need to reinvent the wheel here, just clear up the layout and text of the current one page checkout and it would be fine.

Just to speak to the one page checkout issue. When we ran X-C hands down alteredcart’s add-ons saved our business. The default search on X-C was atrocious. The checkout process took forever. There was no out of box suggestion feature or buy together options.

We bought pretty much everything that Bill put out and made huge gains.

However, the one page checkout was the thorn in my side for a few reasons:

• On the plus side, the simple inclusion of a lock at the top of the page kept people from asking us if the page was secure. Psychology at work.

• On the downside, the ajax used UPS API calls - similar to the feature already present on CS-Cart - Estimate Shipping >> except people never knew to click it and if UPS hung they could do nothing. We needed a fallback if UPS was laggy.

• There was no modal change to suggest that it was time to move on to the next section. I couldn’t make the numbers BIG enough to guide people in terms of what they should fill in next.

• People got frustrated/confused because the location of the username/password was entirely unintuitive, and many folks skipped over it and called me to ask why they couldn’t get past the checkout page - not seeing the red highlighted field asking for a login and password. Most people skipped over it thinking it was where they put one if they had it, not where they’d put one if they wanted to register.

• Finally, the template for his add-on, as far as I could see, was Tiger Direct’s one page checkout. Not my favorite.

That being said, I think it is important to be linear and have BIG DESCRIPTIVE ICONS for things that are done and things that need to be done. I mean SLAP YOU in the FACE big.

For example, I could easily see, say, a modal window pop up that uses jquerytools “overlay” and forms broken out across an ajax populated “scrollable” to walk people through the steps that they normally see in the progressive (non-one-page) checkout. Of course, if there is no javascript, revert to the regular screen-by-screen checkout.

Just saying…

In terms of quick search issues…

The experience of the correct items appearing with partial words and the incorrect items appearing with whole words is based on the logic of the search to save time.

If any whole word results are found (where the whole word exists in the title, description, meta tags, keywords) then those products will be listed.

If no whole word results are listed, or if you elect to only search the product titles and not the full product information for the term entered, a LIKE query is performed on the entered text.

This is why if you enter 7/8 of the word you want you will find products with the partial word in the title, while entering a full word will possibly bring up a product that has the complete word in the description - and this was why I requested earlier that some sort of intelligent results weighing co-efficients get implemented to the results ordering.

We turned on the option to just search the product titles, because this is how most people use the search - they search by what the product is called when they want to look up something quick.

[quote name=‘alexions’]Thank you for the feedback. I’ll check it.[/QUOTE]

Hey Alexions,

Do you have an update on the only 1 result issue with Quick Search? This is a great addon and I look forward to being able to use the new features you added once this issue is corrected.

Hi all,

Sorry for the long delay. I had no enought time to complete the addon. Tomorrow I’ll upload a new version.

Thanks.

Good morning/day/evening

Well, the addon was modified. Here is a short change log:

[!] The search scores did not work. Fixed.

[+] The search by SKU was added.

[+] The ability to search by “All words”, “Any words” and “The exact phrase” was added.

Regarding the 1 product in the search results, unfortunately I did not manage to reproduce this issue. Maybe, it was fixed after adding the functionality. Please, if this issue still exists, provide me with the product dump (alexions@cs-csart.com). So, I’ll be able to try reproducing this error.

If you need the detailed descriptions of the changes, let me know.

About the spell checking… May be I’ll add this functionality later.

Kind regards.

P.S. the link was updated in my first message.

[quote name=‘alexions’]Good morning/day/evening

[+] The ability to search by “All words”, “Any words” and “The exact phrase” was added.

Regarding the 1 product in the search results, unfortunately I did not manage to reproduce this issue. Maybe, it was fixed after adding the functionality. Please, if this issue still exists, provide me with the product dump (alexions@cs-csart.com). So, I’ll be able to try reproducing this error.

Kind regards.

P.S. the link was updated in my first message.[/QUOTE]

still return only one item

[quote name=‘alexions’]Good morning/day/evening

Kind regards.

P.S. the link was updated in my first message.[/QUOTE]

Never mind.

don’t work in 2.0.14

This works correctly for me now. I now receive as many results as I specify in the settings for the addon. Thank you Alexions.

[quote name=‘market’]still return only one item[/QUOTE]

Same here - returns only one item (tested 2.0.14).

Bob

When I first installed the updated version it only returned one result. Once I rebuilt the catalog for search and cleared the cache it worked.

[quote name=‘whiplash13’]When I first installed the updated version it only returned one result. Once I rebuilt the catalog for search and cleared the cache it worked.[/QUOTE]

So this is what you do ?

1. Install
  2. Create the catalog build.
  3. Clear cache
  4. Create catalog build

5 Clear cache

6 Work??