inkWOW.com - launch with v2.0.8 and lots of modifications

Check out my newly (re)launch store with the latest cs-cart 2.0.8 with a number of mods.

Let me know what you guys think of all my changes.

It’s at:

inkWOW.com

Kept the basic look of the default template. Most of the changes are in the backend.

Some changes:

1. Added a new controller for displaying printers
  2. Added a new view “Table” for how products are displayed, to go along with the standard “List”, “Grid”, and “Compact List”.
  3. Added a shopping cart in the right sidebar. It’s actually made into an addon. :smiley:
  4. Products that was already added to the shopping cart, shows the words “Item added to shopping cart” rather than showing the “add to cart” button or link.
  5. Top menu tabs have a down-arrow when it’s a dropdown list, meaning it has submenu items.
  6. Products that are on promotion or have a discount shows the words “On Sale” rather than just the standard “Our Price”. Only products with discount or “On Sale” will show the discount tag image, so products on sale would stand out.
  7. Dynamic Search. Just starting typing and the search results show up in a list below the search field.
  8. Added social networking bookmark links in the product details page.
  9. Got rid of tabs in the product details page.

inkWOW.com - Printer inkjet cartridges and laser toners

Nice site and modifications, I particularly like the dynamic search. Care to give us a hint as to how this was implemented?

Thanks,

Jonah

Very nice overall.

7. Dynamic Search. Just starting typing and the search results show up in a list below the search field.

Something is wrong with it, type in hp for instance… (Using latest FF)

I like what you did to categories.

looks like the results are overlapping… nothing an “overlay: hidden” can’t fix

[quote name=‘Darius’]Very nice overall.

Something is wrong with it, type in hp for instance… (Using latest FF)

I like what you did to categories.[/QUOTE]

What’s wrong?

You mean some of the results overlapping like what jonahcoyote said?

It looks like I did not shortened or concat the product title enough to keep it on one line. Either that or make the results div a little wider.

[quote name=‘jonahcoyote’]Nice site and modifications, I particularly like the dynamic search. Care to give us a hint as to how this was implemented?

Thanks,

Jonah[/QUOTE]

Borrowed it from Apple.com with a number of modification.

[quote name=‘hykit’]Check out my newly (re)launch store with the latest cs-cart 2.0.8 with a number of mods.

It’s at:

inkWOW.com

Kept the basic look of the default template. Most of the changes are in the backend.

Some changes:

2. Added a new view “Table” for how products are displayed, to go along with the standard “List”, “Grid”, and “Compact List”.
  3. Added a shopping cart in the right sidebar. It’s actually made into an addon. :smiley:
  4. Products that was already added to the shopping cart, shows the words “Item added to shopping cart” rather than showing the “add to cart” button or link.
  5. Top menu tabs have a down-arrow when it’s a dropdown list, meaning it has submenu items.
  6. Products that are on promotion or have a discount shows the words “On Sale” rather than just the standard “Our Price”. Only products with discount or “On Sale” will show the discount tag image, so products on sale would stand out.

[/QUOTE]

give me the code to do the same on my site implementations www.stampando.com as we do the same ‘work’?

Pay … ok?

Hello hykit,

Your Bookmark / Share is broken under Opera Linux (OK with Opera Windows, OK with FireFox Linux).

Your “Add to Cart” button is NOT the same on home page Vs. Details Page or Categories page!

Redundant “Cart is empty”.

Your Toll Free Number is not clear enough. Bigger in orange color would be better.

Your popup “ink cartridges” top menu is not working with Opera (Linux and Windows).

Lee Li Pop

[quote name=‘hykit’]What’s wrong?

You mean some of the results overlapping like what jonahcoyote said?

[/QUOTE]

Thats right

Thanks for the feedback.

[quote name=‘Lee Li Pop’]Hello hykit,

Your Bookmark / Share is broken under Opera Linux (OK with Opera Windows, OK with FireFox Linux).

[/QUOTE]

I guess you can blame it on addthis.com

I would have no control over that.

[quote name=‘Lee Li Pop’]

Your “Add to Cart” button is NOT the same on home page Vs. Details Page or Categories page!

[/QUOTE]

I’ve made no chances to the “Add to Cart” button. I don’t really see any issues.

Redundant “Cart is empty”.

[/QUOTE]

If you are talking about have a detail shopping cart on the right and a small mini cart on the top, it’s done on purpose. The shopping cart and check out is probably the most importing thing on the website. Having it twice isn’t a big deal. You can’t believe the number of customers who don’t know where to click “checkout”.

Your Toll Free Number is not clear enough. Bigger in orange color would be better.

[/QUOTE]

I’m glad it’s not “clear enough”.

I hate having customers call when they can place it online. I want to encourage customers to place it online rather than by phone. The phone is there in case some are having problems ordering online. Unlike some websites like Amazon, our phone number is not impossible to find if they feel that they need to call.

However, I don’t want the phone number in big bright orange color. The last thing I want is to encourage customers to place order over the phone rather than online.

Your popup “ink cartridges” top menu is not working with Opera (Linux and Windows).

[/QUOTE]

Blame it on cs-cart? The dropdown menu is cs-cart code. I just added the “orange arrow” for top menus that have a dropdown menu.

[quote name=‘hykit’]Check out my newly (re)launch store with the latest cs-cart 2.0.8 with a number of mods.

It’s at:

inkWOW.com

Some changes:

[/QUOTE]

Hi Hykit,

Just want to say I think your site is very nice. I am in the process of setting up an online ink store too and would like to get some advice if you don’t mind. I’m based in Los Angeles also :). Let me know if it’s cool for me to pm you.

thanks,

Sid

What about your “Nuke Button”?

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=10763[/url]

Lee Li Pop

[quote name=‘Lee Li Pop’]What about your “Nuke Button”?

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=10763[/url]

Lee Li Pop[/QUOTE]

Haha… I know what you mean.

I’ve been designing and programming shopping carts for over 10 years.

You don’t want to make it too easy for the customer to remove items from the shopping cart, but at the same time you don’t want to make the shopping experience too frustrating. It’s a balance.

I’ll probably keep the “clear cart” link since it’s small enough and asks for confirmation. However, I’ll probably remove all the X’s next the product name. Seems too easy to remove an item and can be easily clicked on by accident.

I’ll see how many complains I get when I remove the X’s to remove item. I’m sure there would be a few who would call and ask how do I remove an item. :lol:

Hopefully that would be minimal.

Still going to make a number of user interface changes to my website. Not completely happy with the flow of the website. For one thing, I don’t like having a view cart and checkout link. I want all checkout to go to the view cart page first, so I can upsell and cross-sell items based on the products in the shopping cart, before proceeding to enter their shipping and billing info.

[quote name=‘hykit’]

You don’t want to make it too easy for the customer to remove items from the shopping cart, but at the same time you don’t want to make the shopping experience too frustrating. It’s a balance.

[/QUOTE]

I would try to figure out how to remove (make it hidden) quick links in checkout page. Checkout should not have any distractions like

* About Us

* Contact Us

* Guarantees

* Privacy Policy

* Return Policy

[quote name=‘Darius’]I would try to figure out how to remove (make it hidden) quick links in checkout page. Checkout should not have any distractions like

* About Us

* Contact Us

* Guarantees

* Privacy Policy

* Return Policy

[/QUOTE]

The less distractions the better. Shouldn’t be too difficult.

I just realize changing qty to 0 and updating doesn’t remove the item from shopping cart. Hmm… might not remove the X’s for removing item just yet.

not interested for sell add-on?

[quote name=‘hykit’]I’ve been designing and programming shopping carts for over 10 years.[/quote]

I see.

I see another bug (sorry, it’s too perfect).

I know your answer “Blame…”. But, who can I blame? CS-Cart? Microsoft? Apple? You? (no, not you, impossible). Me? God? (Ooops! Impossible. As perfect as you).

Your dynamic drop down search result is broken with your categories menu under IE6.

Why do you use CS-Cart, because after 10 years of designing and programming, you probably have created the perfect shopping cart? :rolleyes:

Please, share your mods, tips and trics and more!

We need you to learn from your brillant brain here!

Lee Li Pop

[quote name=‘f.aureli@gmail.com’]not interested for sell add-on?[/QUOTE]

I’m written it as 2 separate addons. However, I still had to modify the templates directly, as well as some of the core files.

It probably wouldn’t be working 100% as an addon.

Might be offering the right sidebar shopping cart as a free addon though. We’ll see.

[quote name=‘Lee Li Pop’]I see.

I see another bug (sorry, it’s too perfect).

I know your answer “Blame…”. But, who can I blame? CS-Cart? Microsoft? Apple? You? (no, not you, impossible). Me? God? (Ooops! Impossible. As perfect as you).

Your dynamic drop down search result is broken with your categories menu under IE6.

Why do you use CS-Cart, because after 10 years of designing and programming, you probably have created the perfect shopping cart? :rolleyes:

Please, share your mods, tips and trics and more!

We need you to learn from your brillant brain here!

Lee Li Pop[/QUOTE]

Time.

Most of the stuff I’ve written are in PHP 3 and PHP 4 over the last 10 years. Tons of legacy stuff added on over the years. Probably very difficult to maintain now.

Need to rewrite everything in PHP 5. PHP 5 is a big change.

Like Apple, just toss out their old OS, and start their new OS X based on Unix rather than built their new OS on bloated legacy code.

The same reason the guys behind cs-cart rewrote everything for version 2.0

Still deciding on which PHP framework to use. Zend, CodeIgniter, Kohana, CakePHP, and dozens of others. Probably Kohana,but they just released a new version.

Still deciding on which AJAX framework to use. jQuery, YUI, Dojo, ExtJs, and a dozen other ones. Probably jquery. cs-cart uses jquery and I like jquery.

Besides, if you have multiple stores, you might just want to use a variety of shopping carts cater to different markets. Also, don’t want my websites looking like each other in the eyes of Google. Google might consider it to be “duplicate content” if you have multiple stores selling the same thing and cs-cart driven the store. Guess you can always change up the skins and change up the content a little.

Been messing with a variety of shopping cart including Magento, cs-cart, os-commerce, prestashop, avactis, and so on.

cs-cart 1.3.5 is nice, but cs-cart 2.0 is great on the backend if you are a programmer. It’s pretty is to figure out cs-cart programming wise. cs-cart 2.0 makes it easy to create add-ons and extend the code.

magento does too, but it’s a little more complicated and a little more strict. However, this allows for the magento connect with makes it very easy to install extensions. Magento is bloated and complicated if you ever look at the code. Very difficult and time consuming because of the lack of documental for developers.

I wrote a separate order manager system and fulfillment center to import/export orders from magento and cs-cart. Magento has a nice API for retrieving and managing orders. CS-CART on the other hand doesn’t provide an API to retrieve and manage orders, so it’s a little more involved.

Anyway, stick with cs-cart because it’s one of the better shopping carts out there. It has lots of potential and is easily extendable.