Google Webmaster Tools Found a Weird URL

In my list of crawl errors is this one:

index.php?dispatch=638592b5-71db-4114-93a9-9a45d1862bf5

Anyone know what would cause this and how to fix?

I’m also getting some like this:

jessie-penn-lewis-page-3.html?items_per_page=8

Why is CS-Cart adding “items per page=8” to the ends of URLs?

[quote name=‘kingsleypress’ timestamp=‘1367426435’ post=‘161096’]

Why is CS-Cart adding “items per page=8” to the ends of URLs?

[/quote]

Because CS-Cart sucks at SEO. You could try to install something like this:

[quote name='Onkel_Sid' timestamp='1367451992' post='161118']

Because CS-Cart sucks at SEO. You could try to install something like this:

http://www.cscartroc…-fix-addon.html

[/quote]

I do have that addon, and have been using it for almost two years.

So the answer is just ignore these and go on I guess…

Not sure why, but your pagination seems to have issues.

All URL's on your site which are the second page (eg. Jessie Penn-Lewis Books) in a category do not have the canonical tags. They seem to generate for the main category page, but not the second/third/fourth…etc… pages.

my-category.html should have the rel canonical=“my-category.html”, my-category-page-2.html should also have rel canonical=“my-category.html” as this is the page you want to rank in search engines.

I don't have this problem using the latest Canonical Fix addon from CS-Cart Rocks which includes all canonical fixes including those I have suggested in the thread for this particular addon.

I'm using version 1.8 of the Canonical Fix add-on (which is the latest). That's weird that it works correctly for you, not for me. I'll contact CS-Cart Rocks and have them examine the issue on my server. Thanks for your help.

The latest canonical addon works fine on your site.

It will take some time to eliminate these kind of duplicates (e.g. items_per_page=) because the 1.8 version of the canonical addon is just released.

The addon is not working for me in the same way that it is for Stellarbytes. I am not getting a [color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]rel canonical=“my-category.html” in the source code of the second page. Check it.[/font][/color]

On further investigation, it appears this is caused by the fact I have used the jquery pagination and you have not. I would have expected the method you have used to work better to be honest, but I'm only seeing “my-category.html” in Google results, none of those horrible looking URLs containing “pagination_contents” for the page-2, page-3, etc.

[quote name='kingsleypress' timestamp='1367505534' post='161153']

The addon is not working for me in the same way that it is for Stellarbytes. I am not getting a [color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]rel canonical=“my-category.html” in the source code of the second page. Check it.[/font][/color]

[/quote]

Please read this from Google:

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1663744&topic=2371375&ctx=topic

Hope this helps.

The point is kingsleypress has canonical and pagination 'next' tags, but on the second (and subsequent) pages, there is no canonical tag nor 'prev' tag. This issue appears to only exist where the jquery pagination is not used.

His second page has this canonical url tag:
<link rel="prev" href="prev-page-canonical-url.html" />

[quote name='StellarBytes' timestamp='1367506559' post='161154']

On further investigation, it appears this is caused by the fact I have used the jquery pagination and you have not. I would have expected the method you have used to work better to be honest, but I'm only seeing “my-category.html” in Google results, none of those horrible looking URLs containing “pagination_contents” for the page-2, page-3, etc.

[/quote]

Thanks for your help.

Is jquery pagination something I can turn on in the admin?

@ kingsleypress:

You fill the field “Canonical URL” from category page or you left blank?

I saw that if you manually fill Canonical URL field, then you'll have rel canonical and for pages as page-2, etc…

You can find AJAX(Javascript)-based pagination in Settings - Dynamic HTML.

I do not use AJAX(Javascript)-based pagination…

[quote name='oemill' timestamp='1367517638' post='161164']

@ kingsleypress:

You fill the field “Canonical URL” from category page or you left blank?

I saw that if you manually fill Canonical URL field, then you'll have rel canonical and for pages as page-2, etc…

You can find AJAX(Javascript)-based pagination in Settings - Dynamic HTML.

I do not use AJAX(Javascript)-based pagination…

[/quote]

I leave all my canonical fields blank. That's what I was told to do when I first started using the addon. Thanks for your suggestion. If others concur that this is the solution, I will try it. What would I put in there?

For example, if SEO Name is camere-ip, I wrote in Canonical URL: Camere de supraveghere cu IP pentru Interior si Exterior

You can check direct on my website: www.cdnet.ro

For your website, for Jessie Penn-Lewis Category you can write in Canonical URL: Jessie Penn-Lewis Books Available from Kingsley Press

Then check Canonical URL from view-source:http://www.kingsleypress.com/jessie-penn-lewis-page-2.html

I did that. It looks like it worked. So presumably I should do that on all category pages…

Also, is there anything I need to do about these kinds of URLs:

www.mysite.com/my-product.html?sort_review=HR&selected_section=discussion

Google is throwing up a 404 for these.

I really hope that CSC4 gets some serious SEO updates as SEO issues greatly affect e-commerce income.

Also, I'm getting some like this:

www.mysite.com/my-product.html?review=all&cat=10&ro=3

What to do?

In webmaster tools you can set it to ignore variables like review and sort_review