Google Webmaster Tools Found a Weird URL

OK thanks. I'll track that down and see if I can get it configured.

I have similar problems with this mod. I installed fresh version and although some problems disappeared in the category pages it does not work properly as it supposed to work - I have “prev” and “next” links but no “canonical”.

[quote name='tmv' timestamp='1368364004' post='161661']

I have similar problems with this mod. I installed fresh version and although some problems disappeared in the category pages it does not work properly as it supposed to work - I have “prev” and “next” links but no “canonical”.

[/quote]

Please read this from Google:

http://support.googl…71375&ctx=topic

For pages that are not the first page, the 'canonical' url tag is not necessary. Prev and next tags are canonical urls already.

Hope this helps.

OK so I just found Google crawling this URL on my site:

www.mydomain.com/variant-103.html?items_per_6=&items_per_page=8&page=21

I can successfully load a page like this:

www.mydomain.com/variant-103.html

What is variant-103?

What is going on? Does it matter?

This is what helpdesk said in response to my question about this variant-103.html problem:

[color=#555555][quote]The number is added to a SEO name if the same name is already in use for another object (product, category, etc). This was created in case the administrator gives the same name for two categories (products, manufacturers, etc).[/color]

[color=#555555]If you wish to rename your SEO URL, you need to change the SEO name of the necessary category manually in the administration panel of your store (go to [/color]Products > Categories[color=#555555], click on the necessary category name link and enter the new SEO name in the [/color]SEO name[color=#555555] input field in the [/color]Add-ons[color=#555555] tab). Please note that this rule covers all SEO names.[/quote][/color]

The problem with this is that I have gone through all of my category names and none of them has a duplicate SEO name. They are all unique.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

I think you'll find that it's the SEO name in the database. What you could do it export that table from the database and make sure all the SEO names are as you want them. Easy enough;

In copy the table

export the table

do the edit

import the table with a new name

rename old table

rename new table to old table name

Check if it works, if so leave it a few days then delete the 2 tables you don't need - I only say this because Cscart back throws an error if the are tables it doesn't know about in the database.

[quote name='kickoff3pm' timestamp='1371906020' post='164150']

I think you'll find that it's the SEO name in the database. What you could do it export that table from the database and make sure all the SEO names are as you want them. Easy enough;

In copy the table

export the table

do the edit

import the table with a new name

rename old table

rename new table to old table name

Check if it works, if so leave it a few days then delete the 2 tables you don't need - I only say this because Cscart back throws an error if the are tables it doesn't know about in the database.

[/quote]

Which table specifically?

Search for the term you don't like that'll bring up all the tables it's in.

[quote name='kickoff3pm' timestamp='1371910179' post='164154']

Search for the term you don't like that'll bring up all the tables it's in.

[/quote]

OK. It finds “variant-103” in the table cscart_seo_names. It's a type “e” which seems to be the “Author” product feature.

I've looked through all the variants of the “Author” feature (one hundred of them) and haven't found one with an seo name of variant-103 so that's a bit confusing.

It wouldn't have variant-103 though would it ? thats the SEO name so it's translating into that.

I see what you're saying. If I could find out which particular author this pertained to though, presumably I could just change that value directly in the database.

It doesn't make any sense though, because when I load:

www.mydomain.com/variant-103.html

I don't get a list of books by a particular author…I get 27 pages worth (12 per page) of products, which basically is my whole catalog.

It's just weird. Maybe the best solution is to block “variant” in my robots.txt file and forget about it. I'd like to do something because Google is crawling these pages like crazy.

You can do it webmaster - Configuration > URL Perams > “items_per_page” = Crawl on URLS

Hi

You can stop search engines crawling pages with parameters in by adding this to your robots.txt file

User-agent:

Disallow: /
?

I have a client with the items_per_page issue along with others. If you use currencies this is a big one too. The canonical addon from cs cart rocks is brilliant. With a season based business with products changing on a yearly basis its fantastic for redirecting old products.

Steve