Forum Upgrade

• Quotes are a bit hard to read on some screens and make me a bit dizzy.

• Names should move to the left, and bring back avatars.

• It's too bright (even though I have my monitor brightness only at 60%). I'd make the background darker so the forum pops out.

• View new posts doesn't work well.

• Force signature to only 1 line

• There is a lot of space between lines with an enter. Could be a bit less

I like the new upgrade. Looks neat.

The subject lines color is however a bit harder to read than before.

Vladimir, could you try a couple of thing to improve the readibility?

1. In the .post-wrap and .post-control (color background of the post) use #fcfcfc instead of #FAFAFA.
  2. Use a smaller font for .signature class: please try 11px instead of 13px.

Thanks!.

Guys, what do you think if we disable signatures in every post and leave it just in user's profile, so that one could view it there if interested? But most probably we will change it so that every signature is no more than 100 letters and 2 lines max.

Smaller font size for signature will make text more complex and harder for reading.

[quote name='colortone' timestamp='1308411719' post='115225']

Vladimir, could you try a couple of thing to improve the readibility?

1. In the .post-wrap and .post-control (color background of the post) use #fcfcfc instead of #FAFAFA.
  2. Use a smaller font for .signature class: please try 11px instead of 13px.

Thanks!.

[/quote]

[quote name='admin' timestamp='1308412504' post='115227']

Guys, what do you think if we disable signatures in every post and leave it just in user's profile, so that one could view it there if interested? But most probably we will change it so that every signature is no more than 100 letters and 2 lines max.

Smaller font size for signature will make text more complex and harder for reading.

[/quote]

That is SO AWESOME! Even the admin doesn't follow their new rules. They have 3 lines and not “2”.

[quote]Sincerely yours,

Vladimir Kalynyak

CEO [/quote]

Probably a more logical would be 3 lines like you already use. It is a happy medium. Then you can list a thanks, etc., your name on next and a tag line or whatever on the 3rd.

Likewise, the “100 letters” should still allow html and not count that.

I personally rely on some of the signatures to find someone's site or business. We tried to use it as a way to help new folks who came along and were trying to find things that were working for another business using CS. Any of the links we listed were NOT affiliate links nor were we a part of any of them nor did we get any kind of a kick back. We simply wanted to share what worked for us. I know all the “CS Gods and Goddesses” who already know everything there is to know about CS-Cart couldn't give a hoot, but there are many of us out here that rely on learning from others who have been using CS for a longer time.

[quote name='admin' timestamp='1308412504' post='115227']

But most probably we will change it so that every signature is no more than 100 letters and 2 lines max.

[/quote]

Most members have their signature up to 2-3 lines. 3 lines is ok. Probably those that use

between lines, will have to edit it to single

Jim, don't be misled and don't mislead others, there is no such a signature rule yet. We just plan to introduce it.

I agree with you, three lines sounds reasonable. As for allowing HTML, I don't think this is necessary. Plain text plus a link should be enough and will not distract reader's attention too much.

Is it really that hard for you all to scroll? I guess it might be a little harder on a phone or something, but my scroll wheel on my mouse makes pretty quick work of it.

It's funny you guys are whining about the signature when it's never been a problem before. All CS has to do is style it a little different so you can tell the difference between the post and the signature.

Personally, I don't thinks scrolling up and down is all that hard.

Also, one thing I'd like to see is to bring back the post counts for each user and when they joined.

Thanks,

Brandon

[quote name='brandonvd' timestamp='1308418605' post='115234']

Is it really that hard for you all to scroll? I guess it might be a little harder on a phone or something, but my scroll wheel on my mouse makes pretty quick work of it.

It's funny you guys are whining about the signature when it's never been a problem before. All CS has to do is style it a little different so you can tell the difference between the post and the signature.

Also, one thing I'd like to see is to bring back the post counts for each user and when they joined.

Thanks,

Brandon

[/quote]

You can view profile next to member name to see post count…

No need to edit on signature.

[quote name='admin' timestamp='1308417087' post='115231']

Jim, don't be misled and don't mislead others, there is no such a signature rule yet. We just plan to introduce it.

I agree with you, three lines sounds reasonable. As for allowing HTML, I don't think this is necessary. Plain text plus a link should be enough and will not distract reader's attention too much.

[/quote]

If you change your signature at all the rules have indeed changed! Who knows what the new rules are as it just gives you a “1029” error and does not tell you if you have too many words or too many lines. So YES, the rules have changed! That isn't anyone misleading me or me misleading anyone else. That is just the facts that they have been changed but who knows to what. Go ahead, try to alter your signature and it does not follow what was on the the previous forum. I took out a couple of words at first and I got the 1029 error.

BTW, I was going by YOUR comment that said…

[quote]But most probably we will change it so that every signature is no more than 100 letters and 2 lines max.[/quote]

It was just funny that you suggested 2 lines when you yourself already had 3 lines, that's all. I don't see any issues with the 3 lines, I just had to keep playing with the signature to allow me to save pretty much anything. Since I did not know what the “new rules” were yet, I have no idea which part was restricting.

[quote name='brandonvd' timestamp='1308418605' post='115234']

Brandon

[/quote]

Is not just about vertical space, is about how you find the post.

The old left column was like an anchor block making all easy to read and the area for the post and signature were smaller just 2/3 of the that block. Then you scrolled blocks, now you scroll lines. Now you can notice all the space wasted that was before filled by the avatar column.

Besides, just a matter of courtesy, one could try not to waste too much space in their signature. With one
instead of

will be ok, and the signature is still easy to read. Signature is that, just a signature, not a mini-facebook clon or a penny saver add.

Jim, please stop trolling. Just re-read my post and your answer and avoid similar posts in future.

IMO - quit b*tching about signature lines, get the readability fixed otherwise I can't see my eyeballs getting better. Signatures will always be abused.

Three lines, no HTML

colortone, thanks for your comments.

[quote name='colortone' timestamp='1308421725' post='115239']

Is not just about vertical space, is about how you find the post.

[/quote]

Actually, new layout produces less total height of the the thread page comparing to old forums. And you have to scroll less with this layout.

The old left column was like an anchor block making all easy to read and the area for the post and signature were smaller just 2/3 of the that block. Then you scrolled blocks, now you scroll lines. Now you can notice all the space wasted that was before filled by the avatar column.

[/quote]

I see what you mean. We will continue improving forums layout and probably will put the left column back. As for signature size, nothing changed here, old forums had the same size.

Besides, just a matter of courtesy, one could try not to waste too much space in their signature. With one
instead of

will be ok, and the signature is still easy to read. Signature is that, just a signature, not a mini-facebook clon or a penny saver add.

[/quote]

Totally agree!

Just made post background a little bit lighter as colortone suggested. Does it look and read better now?

Overall forums background will be darkened later.

@Darius,

Sweet, I didn't realize you could click on that. That is pretty cool.

@Colortone,

I totally agree with you about the avatar and left column stuff. I think I stated that in my first post of this thread. It would be awesome to see that come back.

Also, a penny saver ad, that is freakin funny.

Thanks,

Brandon

I use to look forward to reading the forums on a daily basis, but now it looks like a cat puked a hair ball. Got better things to do than read/sort this jibberish.

Send an email when you guys (cs-cart) change or make it “apppear” the way it was.

Wonder who's idea it was to change the forum? Gotten much sleep this week?

Stu

Colortone, I finally decided to decrease signature size and also made it more light. How’s that?

Brandon, we should definitely get rid of empty lines in signatures ;)

Vladimir,

I would change my signature and remove the extra lines if I could, but everytime I try and save the changes I get an error saying that I'm using too many characters.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brandon