Duplicate Orders

All of a sudden I’m getting duplicate orders. A customer places an order, but for some reason it generates two identical orders. And their card gets charged twice. So I’m having to go through and delete the duplicate order, refund their card, and contact them to explain. Anyone else having this problem? If not, I will submit a ticket to help desk and have them sort this out. Just thought I would check here first. Thanks in advance for any help. This has just started happening in the last few days and I’ve made absolutely no changes to the cart… for several weeks…perhaps months.

Ive had this issue for a while, never got an answer. Itll assign people orders like 2750, 2751, 2752 etc, up to 8 to 10 at a time sometimes.

Wow! Do the customers' cards get charged each time? That would be a real headache. If it was that bad for me, I'd be looking at a different shopping cart.

Last night I left a ticket at the help desk, but so far have heard nothing. Usually they respond within 24 hours so here's hoping. I really like CS-Cart and hope this is a minor problem that can easily be fixed.

Helpdesk has replied, and they think it's because there is a delay on the fourth step of checkout. They recommend that clearing the site cache can solve this. We'll see.

I think they're blowing smoke your way…

I've noticed (and my clients report to me) much more finger pointing lately to hosts, addon developers and other influences. The ones that have been reported to me are really bogus.

Not sure what would be in the cache that would cause the delay. If there are multiple orders then the order is either being sumbitted twice or you have an addon somewhere that is using the place_order hook inappropriately.

OK it seems that this might be happening when people get to the checkout and then decide to change one of the items. So they go out of checkout, remove an item from the cart, then when they place an order, they get two orders instead of one. Not really sure, but I need to get this sorted out.

And this just started to happen? That seems odd…

Do the customers really go to the PSP or are they staying inside your shop? If it's the last it should not be creating orders.

Hello Flow, What is the PSP?

Yes, this just started happening all of a sudden…no problems before this. Just had another one Saturday night. The lady placed 3 books in the shopping cart, then decided she didn't want the third, and took it out. Then when she placed the order, she got two orders, one for 3 books and one for 2 books. Her card was charged for both orders, and two separate cart orders were produced.

Maybe its some live currency rates mod or mod that allows paying to paypal or paypal express with other then base currency. Maybe you use payment method like moneybookers in iframe?

Darius, I don't have any mods like that. My payment processor is PayPal Pro. I don't use iframes that I know of. Here is the latest reply from Helpdesk:

[color=#555555][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Please let me explain the situation. If a client clicks the Back browser button on the payments page, the store system generates an order again as far as it is the default functionality of the browser navigation buttons to resend the request when the button is clicked. In order to return to the store from payment pages, clients need to use a special back button on the payments page. Unfortunately, the PayPal system does not have the ability to cancel an order immediately after it is placed.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#555555][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]The only thing I can suggest you in this case is placing a message informing clients of this workflow.[/size][/font][/color]

My only question would be, why would this just suddenly start happening 7-10 days ago? Never had this problem before, then all of a sudden people are deciding to use the back button on their browser? I don't think so.

We had this issue consistently due to customers pushing the 'submit order' button multiple times. Website was a little slower than most people expected. CS-Cart would provide an order status update after receiving the payment confirmation/decline - Allowing the customer to spam the button would have them charged multiple times prior to CS receiving the original payment status.

We rectified this problem on CS 2.0.15 by notifying the customer in a red box below order notes.

[quote]

Please press 'Place Order' only once.

Transactions can sometimes take upto 10 seconds.

[/quote]

A while ago there was a mod where place order would became greyed after clicked once

[quote name='JesseLeeStringer' timestamp='1331558100' post='132998']

We had this issue consistently due to customers pushing the 'submit order' button multiple times. Website was a little slower than most people expected. CS-Cart would provide an order status update after receiving the payment confirmation/decline - Allowing the customer to spam the button would have them charged multiple times prior to CS receiving the original payment status.

We rectified this problem on CS 2.0.15 by notifying the customer in a red box below order notes.

[/quote]

[quote name='kingsleypress' timestamp='1331550601' post='132989']

Hello Flow, What is the PSP?

Yes, this just started happening all of a sudden…no problems before this. Just had another one Saturday night. The lady placed 3 books in the shopping cart, then decided she didn't want the third, and took it out. Then when she placed the order, she got two orders, one for 3 books and one for 2 books. Her card was charged for both orders, and two separate cart orders were produced.

[/quote]

PSP = Payment Service Provider, like paypal in your case.

Well, since this just started to happen… it could be something you changed in your shop. Maybe a new addon… ?

Workflow is something like this.

1. user clicks submit for order
  2. Cart info is updated in SESSION
  3. Order is created (order ID assigned) (order status Incomplete)
  4. Payment process is done (order status Open for callback payment providers, Processed for transactional)
  5. Customer is notified of order (based on order status settings) - note special handling of Open for callback pay providers

Then, if payment process is callback
  6. When callback received and payment is SUCCESS, order status updated to Processed (and notification setting in place)

So only possibility for creating duplicate orders is to press the Back button during #3 above.

Can only assume that the situation for the lady with 3 books and 2 books is that the removal from the cart didn't actually occur in time (thank you AJAX) for the re-submit to occur.

OK thanks guys. I am still monitoring this. Helpdesk told me to turn off IPN in my PayPal account, which I have done. I find it hard to believe that this will change anything, since this has never been changed since I first started using CS-Cart. I have not added any new mods.

Depends on what notification url you have your IPN setup to use. If it's in your cart, then this could definitely be causing your problem. But if it's to another site (or a different path within your site), there should not be a conflict.

[quote name='JesseLeeStringer' timestamp='1331558100' post='132998']

[/quote]

What file location would this be found in? and if not too much trouble what would be the code to insert and at what location in the file?

Thanks,

WUAP

Did you ever fix this problem? Its still doing it to me.

Sorry, Parodius, for not coming back and posting. Yes, turning off IPN in my PayPal account solved this for me. I have had no duplicate orders at all since turning that off. Are you using PayPal Pro also?

Nope, my google and amazon are doing the same thing =(