We have released version 4.10.1 RC (Release Candidate). It will be useful to:
- add-on and theme developers—they can test their products in advance to prepare for 4.10.1;
- the merchants who are interested to see how the new version will work, and what they’ll have to do during the upgrade.
The full list of changes is very long, so we left it in the changelog and in the post-upgrade notifications. We also have an article about technical changes for developers. Below you’ll find only the major changes that are definitely worth looking into:
Product variations are out of beta. Variations are now based on features instead of options. This change makes variations more useful, but requires the conversion of the old variations and option combinations into “variations 2.0”. Version 4.10.1 RC lets you see in advance how this conversion will work.
New “Lite Checkout” introduced. The old step-by-step checkout is now a separate add-on. We won’t change checkout page without your consent. If you upgrade from an earlier version, disable the Step-by-Step Checkout add-on, and you’ll get the new checkout configured for you. The new checkout page can be configured via block manager. To do it, go to Design → Layouts and switch to the Checkout tab.
The Store locator add-on has been expanded greatly, and it is now called Stores and pickup points. It allows you to create a shipping method that uses your store locations as selectable pickup points for customers to choose from.
Instead of keeping the map settings in different add-ons, we now have one add-on called Maps and geolocation. It handles what map provider your store uses. Google Maps and Yandex.Maps are available.
The best way to try 4.10.1 RC is to upgrade from the previous version:
1. Make sure that your store runs on 4.9.3 SP1.
Don’t upgrade your live store to 4.10.1 RC1—there won’t be an upgrade from any RC to the final 4.10.1 release.
3. In your test copy, go to Settings → Licensing mode and change the key to the one that matches your product:
For Russian versions, please refer to the announcement at the Russian forum.
These keys will only have one upgrade: from 4.9.3 SP1 to 4.10.1 RC1 (and any subsequent RCs of 4.10.1). Once the testing is over, we will disable these keys. When you enter and save them, you’ll no longer need to keep the storefront closed. But it’s best to open in after step 4.
4. Install the upgrade. After the upgrade you’ll see notifications about the changes. They’ll tell you what to do and check next.
5. (optional for Multi-Vendor users and developers) Try the upcoming Multi-Vendor Ultimate. To do it, change the key on your dev copy to MV-ULT-BETA-0G3H-1CA2-Y5XI-5J5F after you upgrade to 4.10.1 RC1.
If you can’t upgrade a test copy for any reason, you’ll still be able to try 4.10.1 RC as a new installation. Just download CS-Cart 4.10.1 RC or Multi-Vendor 4.10.1 RC and use the corresponding keys provided above.
Feel free to discuss 4.10.1 RC, possible issues, and especially the actions that are required after the upgrade, in this topic.
P.S. We have also released RC2, RC3, RC4, and RC5.