• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CS-Cart 3 RC Released Rate Topic   * * * * * 15 votes

• kellenw
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:08 PM #281

Not having suppliers in Ultimate Edition is a major problem for us, and will be a major problem for a very large percentage of people considering UE. Without suppliers functionality, the shipping system is extremely limited. In fact, it is unusable for a large number of people, particularly the type of people who run multiple stores, because they tend to have more complex shipping requirements than single store owners.

Without suppliers functionality, you are not able to assign specific real-time shipping methods to a single product. Examples:
- If you have an item that is Hazmat and must ship ONLY a certain way, this can no longer be accomplished.
- If you have a perishable item that must ONLY ship via overnight service, this can no longer be accomplished.
- If you use a drop shipper for some products (most of us do), and need to use their shipping rate tables (because they are in a different rate zone than you) while applying your rates to your own products, this is no longer possible.
- If you have heavy weight, oversize or freight items that must ship via a different method than the other products being ordered, this can't be accomplished.
- If you have multiple warehouses or distribution centers in different areas, you can not quote real time rates for each of them.
- If you use a fullfilment company to ship some of your items while shipping others from your own location, you can no longer quote real time rates for both.

You can do ALL of this with Pro, a less expensive product. The result is that Ultimate Edition is crippled compared to Pro, unless suppliers functionality is put back in.

I paid for a UE license already, under the assumption this functionality would not be removed. I'm struggling to understand why in the world it would be removed in the first place. Without it, the shipping system has virtually zero flexibility and literally will NOT work for us, or a vast number of other people out there. Put simply, you're going to lose sales, because other competing products have this.

I started a UserVoice for this issue here: http://cscart.uservo...to-ultimate-edi

It is already the leading feature by votes in the Ultimate Edition category. Please vote if this matters to you!

• Struck
  • Teetering on Genious
  • Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:44 PM #282

Not having suppliers in Ultimate Edition is a major problem for us, and will be a major problem for a very large percentage of people considering UE.

Well put Kellenw !

I also question the logic as to why this functionality would be removed? This is the exact reason that I have decided to hold off on pre-purchasing the Ultimate Edition to see exactly what capabilities are in place rather than making any assumptions and wishing I would have waited rather than attempting to save a couple hundred dollars.

Although we currently do not dropship anything, I do understand there are also other very legitimate needs for the Suppliers functionality, and I do know there are many current CS-Cart customers which, as yourself, do require this added flexibility, so I will vote to help the cause. Unfortunately however, the damage has most likely already been done as it will be quite some time so say the least before this functionality is back, if it does make it back............ :?

Frustrating to say the least.
Cooking with Gas on Version 4.1.2 (But proceeding with caution....)

• kmolchanov
  • CS-Cart team
  • 1313 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:05 AM #283

Not having suppliers in Ultimate Edition is a major problem for us, and will be a major problem for a very large percentage of people considering UE. Without suppliers functionality, the shipping system is extremely limited. In fact, it is unusable for a large number of people, particularly the type of people who run multiple stores, because they tend to have more complex shipping requirements than single store owners.

Without suppliers functionality, you are not able to assign specific real-time shipping methods to a single product. Examples:
- If you have an item that is Hazmat and must ship ONLY a certain way, this can no longer be accomplished.
- If you have a perishable item that must ONLY ship via overnight service, this can no longer be accomplished.
- If you use a drop shipper for some products (most of us do), and need to use their shipping rate tables (because they are in a different rate zone than you) while applying your rates to your own products, this is no longer possible.
- If you have heavy weight, oversize or freight items that must ship via a different method than the other products being ordered, this can't be accomplished.
- If you have multiple warehouses or distribution centers in different areas, you can not quote real time rates for each of them.
- If you use a fullfilment company to ship some of your items while shipping others from your own location, you can no longer quote real time rates for both.

You can do ALL of this with Pro, a less expensive product. The result is that Ultimate Edition is crippled compared to Pro, unless suppliers functionality is put back in.

I paid for a UE license already, under the assumption this functionality would not be removed. I'm struggling to understand why in the world it would be removed in the first place. Without it, the shipping system has virtually zero flexibility and literally will NOT work for us, or a vast number of other people out there. Put simply, you're going to lose sales, because other competing products have this.

I started a UserVoice for this issue here: http://cscart.uservo...to-ultimate-edi

It is already the leading feature by votes in the Ultimate Edition category. Please vote if this matters to you!

The suppliers functionality will be returned to UE as soon as possible.

There are a number of technical obstacles backing this feature in UE, but we will bring it back in one of the future minor releases of the 3.x.x branch.

Konstantin Molchanov,
CS-Cart Architect Team
Suggest and vote for new features | Report a bug

• kmolchanov
  • CS-Cart team
  • 1313 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:34 AM #284

Is it possible to tie selected payment methods to selected shipping methods?
Shipping is more expensive if the buyer wants to pay to the courier when he receives the shipment than paying in advance via credit card or Paypal.
I did not find any options for this problem in the admin area.

Binding shipping and payment methods is not available, but this feature can be added by our custom development team in your project individually.

Konstantin Molchanov,
CS-Cart Architect Team

• StellarBytes
  • Members
  • 1807 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:35 PM #285

The suppliers functionality will be returned to UE as soon as possible. There are a number of technical obstacles backing this feature in UE, but we will bring it back in one of the future minor releases of the 3.x.x branch.

I'm seriously glad I never bothered to pre-order Ultimate, despite the fact I could have saved $XXX with your incentive offers - in the long run, until you re-add Suppliers functionality, I would have lost $XXXXX. I'm really hoping CS3 Ultimate doesn't turn into a complete disaster but honestly, the outlook is bleak if this is the response we are to expect.
Hire StellarBytes for CS-Cart Design & Development Services

• jegesmaci
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:21 PM #286

I purchased the pre-order and did not think that this functionality would be removed. I need:

1. This feature back in OR
2. A workaround until it is back OR
3. A refund

I am disappointed. I work in software development and know how challenging new products can be, but you can't just cut a key feature like this and not notify loyal customers.

kellenw, I went and added my votes to UserVoice.

• chris102
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:20 PM #287

The suppliers functionality will be returned to UE as soon as possible.

There are a number of technical obstacles backing this feature in UE, but we will bring it back in one of the future minor releases of the 3.x.x branch.

So maybe you could consider simply implementing the feature of assigning a shipment to product and shipment to category not necessarily using the walk around with suppliers feature. Would it be less sophisticated and thus easier to implement for you?

BTW. Was the suppliers feature at its origin dedicated to deal with the shipments at all?

• kmolchanov
  • CS-Cart team
  • 1313 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:20 AM #288

Another question: Will CS-Cart 3.0 be available in community edition, too?

Hello,

Yes, CS-Cart 3 will be available in Community edition as well as in Professional, Multi-Vendor and Ultimate.

Konstantin Molchanov,
CS-Cart Architect Team

• kmolchanov
  • CS-Cart team
  • 1313 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:18 AM #289

This suppliers issue needs some clarification.

You see, the suppliers functionality has not been removed from CS-Cart Ultimate, it just has evolved to the storefronts concept. The very same thing happened before with Multi-Vendor, when suppliers were also substituted with vendors.

So, this one must be clear: it's not just some marketing strategy or anything like that that made us remove such a useful and necessary functionality. It is strictly a technical issue, and we do our best to solve it.

Thanks to your feedback we know that the main reason suppliers are so much needed is the ability to bind shippings with products and categories. Basically, this is a side effect of the suppliers functionality. Keeping that it mind we will be able to provide the best solution for the problem.

One way or another assigning shipping methods to products and categories will be added to CS-Cart Ultimate.

Thank you for the feedback, it is just priceless, especially when it comes to such matters.

Konstantin Molchanov,
CS-Cart Architect Team

• brandonvd
  • is Super Awesome
  • Members
  • 2633 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:44 PM #290

OK, I don't really use the suppliers functionality much, but how do multiple suppliers have anything to do with multiple store fronts?

Lets say I'm dropshipping and I have 3 suppliers. I can use the current functionality to be able to sort my products by supplier and also calculate my shipping based upon which products come from which suppliers (Actually, I had an addon made for that since you guys don't have it right).

So, how is the new functionality going to allow me to do that? I want multiple suppliers for 1 store, but I want to use Ultimate to be able to run multiple stores with different products.

Thanks,

Brandon

• vanderex
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:07 PM #291

it's because they think as suppliers as a flea market !...

like you advertise the store, and the suppliers(manufacturers) login and push the products into the store.... they are thinking of the concept like the chineese i think.

They need to think like N/American Trade should...
either way it's 2 different things.. let's clarify for them

1) vendor ( uses the cart system to promote his products

2) supplier (supplies the products to the store owner, but never sees the cart system)

3) shipping method, (is not linked to any of these

4) product, (is linked to a specific shipping method, depending
a- is a supplier attached and needs is own shipping ?
b- if so - is is dropship ( email send etc etc)
c- if not revert to default shipping for store ( aka regions, zip codes etc)

does this sum it up ?
Get Cost Effective Content Delivery CDN
Unbeatable speed, stats, & price
MaxCDN Site Acceleration

• brandonvd
  • is Super Awesome
  • Members
  • 2633 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:37 PM #292

The only thing that I would say different is that the shipping methods do, sometimes, have to do with the supplier. I did one store that used 2 different suppliers. I wanted the realtime rates calculated accurately from the different suppliers. The default CS-Cart functionality wouldn't do this, so I had an addon made to allow this.

Basically if a product from supplier A was $10 to ship and a product from supplier B was $5 to ship, if a customer only order from A, the shipping was $10. If they only ordered from B, it was $5. If they ordered a product from A and B, the shipping was $15.

The customer never knew the products were coming from different suppliers or anything, they just saw the shipping cost and that was it.

But yes, I'll totally agree, the way CS-Cart thinks about suppliers is pretty much wrong for us here in the US.

Thanks,

Brandon

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12156 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:21 PM #293

Brandon,

Suppliers are used in many ways by different people because it gives you a way to issolate products into "buckets" that can have different attributes like shipping methods, taxes, etc.

Generally, without suppliers, there is no way to identify a product as being a drop-shipped product. Hence everything would appear as if it's in your inventory. Also, since drop-shipped products are shipped from locations other than the store's location, the 'origin' needs to be adjusted for the product when the shipping calculation is made.

They then took this basic concept and extended it a bit further for multi-vendor where a supplier (vendor) actually becomes a limited admin and can create products, change layouts, etc. Like a store in a mall, each can present differently and even present the same products with different pricing, packaging, etc.

So bottom line is that if you are using a drop-shipper, then as far as it appears, V3 will not work for you until some later date. Otherwise you're going to be either over/undercharging shipping and will have difficulty notifying your suppliers to ship products without manual intervention on each ordered item.

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

• Triplets
  • Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:27 PM #294

I have been playing with the new design Blocks and can not figure out a few things:

1) I can move blocks between grids, but how does one move a grid? Currently I am forced to delete and recreate a grid if I want to move it somewhere else. Very annoying.

2) How does one create a layout that is used on all the pages? For example, I wanted to remove the Top Menu and add a Left Menu grid and block. I did this in the default location. How do I transfer this design to all the other locations (i,.e. products, categories, cart, etc). Currently I am forced to recreate the layout in every location. Once again, very annoying.

3) How do I split a grid in two or three? Currently I have to re-size it and then add a new one. Splitting seems like it will be a common enough task that it should be a feature.

I am liking the new Block feature, but currently it is very frustrating and limiting to work in. I should be free to move blocks and grids and re-size them at will.

David

By the way, I was able to import all my products, options, categories and pages from cs-cart 1.35 into 3.01. To do this I went through Excel first using CSV files to recreate the new table structures. I am now working on importing my images. This seems to be a little harder since they totally redid the way the image tables work.

• brandonvd
  • is Super Awesome
  • Members
  • 2633 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:28 PM #295

Tony,

Yep, that is basically what I was trying to say -- although you said it much better.

With my personal store, most things are dropshipped, but not all. I just have the shipping to set up for my zip code and call it good, so I don't worry too much about the shipping costs. Sure, it might not be 100% accurate, but it is close enough.

Also, I've never trusted having an email sent directly to my suppliers, so I do everything manually. Plus, this makes it so that I can check the order myself to see if everything is cool. When it comes down to it, it is going to be my loss if something is wrong.

Thanks,

Brandon

• brandonvd
  • is Super Awesome
  • Members
  • 2633 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:33 PM #296

Triplets,

Sweet, I'm not the only one with those same problems. To me, it doesn't make much sense. I also think the grids should be moveable just like the blocks without having to re-create them. I also agree with you that you have to create all the grids and blocks for each page instead of just making them for one and then adding or removing for each page like it is now.

Thanks,

Brandon

• vanderex
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:49 PM #297

I have been playing with the new design Blocks and can not figure out a few things:

lucky you... still cant load the main demo, but the admin side works... ill try some other cart meanwhile
Get Cost Effective Content Delivery CDN
Unbeatable speed, stats, & price
MaxCDN Site Acceleration

• kellenw
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:38 PM #298

This suppliers issue needs some clarification.

You see, the suppliers functionality has not been removed from CS-Cart Ultimate, it just has evolved to the storefronts concept. The very same thing happened before with Multi-Vendor, when suppliers were also substituted with vendors.

Vendors and suppliers are not always the same thing. CS-Cart will be coded into a corner again if the dev team assumes this to be the case. A VENDOR is a selling entity. They may make use of a number of SUPPLIERS (likely located in different rate zones) to drop ship their orders. If you don't allow for BOTH in the multi-vendor edition, you are going to have problems. While I'm not particularly interested in mult-vendor edition at this time, I think it's important to point this flawed thinking out now, while you have a chance to fix it.

It appears the dev team is coming to realize it was a huge mistake to assume suppliers (supplier users) could be sacrifced for use as storefront users in Ultimate Edition. That's great, but it sounds like it is time for the dev team to pause for a moment and actually look at the lack of modular design in the code, if the code as it is written now, only is capable of handling one or the other.

So, this one must be clear: it's not just some marketing strategy or anything like that that made us remove such a useful and necessary functionality. It is strictly a technical issue, and we do our best to solve it.

UE is not a final release product until this is put back in and done so properly. I assume that those of us who purchased a UE license will have their support and software upgrade window (1 year after purchase) adjusted to reflect this delay. Correct?

Thanks to your feedback we know that the main reason suppliers are so much needed is the ability to bind shippings with products and categories. Basically, this is a side effect of the suppliers functionality. Keeping that it mind we will be able to provide the best solution for the problem.

But the dev team should have had the foresight to realize trying to proceed with a release product without this VITAL CORE FUNCTION was a really, really bad idea... and they should have fixed the problem before making promises of a release date, which has already come and gone by the way. At the very least, out of respect to the customer base, they should have made it VERY CLEAR that this functionality was not planned for in UE, rather than letting it conveniently go unmentioned. I, and many other customers have already begun working on UE sites with the expectation that we could launch them soon. Now that's not the case, and that is extremely disappointing.

One way or another assigning shipping methods to products and categories will be added to CS-Cart Ultimate.

Thank you for the feedback, it is just priceless, especially when it comes to such matters.

Any idea when we can expect this to happen? I've got a rather large project now waiting in limbo until this problem is fixed.

--------
Make sure to vote for adding Supplier Functionality back into Ultimate Edition by going here:
http://cscart.uservo...to-ultimate-edi
---------

• Struck
  • Teetering on Genious
  • Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:55 PM #299

I believe alot of this confusion is from the feature terminology being used. For example it would be more suitable to refer to, "Suppliers" as "Warehouses". Ideally each store could setup multiple "Warehouse" locations each with unique "origin" addresses to calculate accurate realtime shipping costs from. Then we should have the ability to assign individual products to be shipped from these unique "Warehouse Locations". Essentially these Warehouse Locations could be utilized by companies with multiple locations, or by store owners utilizing dropshipping of their products, either way this should give a great deal of flexibility and accuracy.

Then, we will still need the capability to assign specific "Shipping Methods" to individual specific products, such as ACME Explosive Widget can only be shipped via Standard Ground, (for DOT regulations, all air shipment methods are prohibited).

Just some quick thoughts! :shock:
Cooking with Gas on Version 4.1.2 (But proceeding with caution....)

• herroq
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:17 AM #300

if I buy the CS-Cart 2.2.4 professional licence now, could I update to CS-Cart 3 for free?

by the way, when will cs-cart3 release stable version?