• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CS-Cart 2.1.4 Released Rate Topic   - - - - -

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12156 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:50 AM #81

I would assume that permissions of 750/640 would work fine in those envionments assuming the ownerhsip of the files is Username.

Why are they required to be 755 (versus 750)? Can't see where this would be a requirement since Apache runs setgid and php runs setuid. Nothing should be roaming around in there as 'other'.

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

• S-Combs
  • Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:27 AM #82

I shouldn't have used the word required above. Those are the default permissions in those environments. Commercial scripts shouldn't attempt to adjust permissions lower than a server default because they will not work in some cases due to custom umask or security settings.
Secure Cart Hosting
[CS-Cart Optimized Solutions and Server Management]

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12156 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:35 AM #83

Okay.... Note that cs-cart does a umask(0) and then sets permissions explicitly when it creates directories or files (not the right way, but that's what they do).

Will never get it perfect, but if they are distributing an archive that is 777/666 nobody/nobody then they will need to traverse the file structure and change the permissions to something suitable for the server and assume the server will handle the ownerships. They can get a hint from looking at '.'. How to present that to a user base as broad as cs-cart merchants is a whole different story. Hate to loose a customer because they tried to install a trial version and felt it was to complicated..... Not an easy issue to address.

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

• S-Combs
  • Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:32 PM #84

Yes there is no perfect way that will work with every server but the best attempt I have seen so far is what Interspire shopping cart does using the following functions

I obviously cannot post the coding they use but the comments within it should provide some hints to the CS devs so they can do something similar.

/**
* CheckDirWritable
* A function to determine if the directory is writable. PHP's built in function
* doesn't always work as expected.
* This function creates the file, writes to it, closes it and deletes it. If all
* actions work, then the directory is writable.
* PHP's inbuilt
* @param String $dir full directory to test if writable
* @return Boolean
*/
public function CheckDirWriteable($dir)
{

// check we can create a file

// check we can write to the file

// check we can close the connection

// check we can delete the file

// if we made it here, it all works. =)
return true;

}
    /**
* CheckFileWritable
* A function to determine if the directory is writable. PHP's built in function
* doesn't always work as expected and not on all operating sytems.
* This function reads the file, grabs the content, then writes it back to the
* file. If this all worked, the file is obviously writable.
* @param String $filename full path to the file to test
* @return Boolean
*/
public function CheckFileWriteable($filename)
{

// check we can read the file

// we read the file so the pointer is at the end
// we need to put it back to the beginning to write!

// check we can write to the file

// check we can close the connection

// if we made it here, it all works. =)
return true;

}

Secure Cart Hosting
[CS-Cart Optimized Solutions and Server Management]

• Triplex
  • Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:49 AM #85

I do remember seeing the upload date of 2.1.3 changing after 2 days. I was glad I waited with the upgrade cause apparently a new 2.1.3 was uploaded at that moment.

Glad you don't do this anymore :)

I think Cs-cart have do the same issue again with the 2.1.4 when you look at the date of upload!?

• owenad
  • Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:32 PM #86

I think Cs-cart have do the same issue again with the 2.1.4 when you look at the date of upload!?

You may think that, however, also notice the hepldesk changed, its now part of their website, versus a seperate system, I think they just re-uploaded the same package to the new design.

I have both the original posted file and the newly posted one; I ran a complete file by content comparison of the two, they are identical, cs-cart did not change a single thing, they are not being sneaky :rolleyes:

• imac
  • CEO
  • CS-Cart Architects
  • 2077 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:02 PM #87

You may think that, however, also notice the hepldesk changed, its now part of their website, versus a seperate system, I think they just re-uploaded the same package to the new design.

I have both the original posted file and the newly posted one; I ran a complete file by content comparison of the two, they are identical, cs-cart did not change a single thing, they are not being sneaky :rolleyes:

Thats right.
The date has changed because we moved helpdesk to the www.cs-cart.com.
Ilya Makarov,
CS-Cart Architect Team
Suggest and vote for new features | Report a bug

• owenad
  • Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:03 PM #88

Thats right.
The date has changed because we moved helpdesk to the www.cs-cart.com.

Thanks for confirming this, and I like the newer helpdesk too. Any ETA on 2.1.5/jquery updated release? ;) ;)

• Lantan
  • CVO
  • Administrators
  • 240 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:32 AM #89

Hello owenad,

Any ETA on 2.1.5/jquery updated release? ;) ;)

We are working hard on the new version (it will be 2.2.1, not 2.1.5), but the amount of work does not allow us to release it sooner than in a month.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Alex Vinokurov,
Chief Visionary Officer at CS-Cart & Twigmo

• kogi
  • Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:41 AM #90

We are working hard on the new version (it will be 2.2.1, not 2.1.5), but the amount of work does not allow us to release it sooner than in a month.

Will jquery update be in the version? (2.2.1)

• Lantan
  • CVO
  • Administrators
  • 240 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:26 AM #91

Will jquery update be in the version? (2.2.1)

Yes, of course.
Alex Vinokurov,

• owenad
  • Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:44 PM #92

Hello owenad,

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Thanks for clarifying this, I (my company) is VERY EXCITED for the upcoming jquery upgrade!

One question, I see jQuery released 1.6 today, will you be looking to include that version, or sticking with the currently planned 1.5? I'm fine with either one, just wondering your folks standing on that.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

• kogi
  • Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:29 PM #93

One question, I see jQuery released 1.6 today, will you be looking to include that version, or sticking with the currently planned 1.5?

I hope that as long as the new jquery is backward compatible with the old version we can update ourselves whenever. And that the jquery.js is separate file from the cscart specific JS script

• owenad
  • Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:41 PM #94

I hope that as long as the new jquery is backward compatible with the old version we can update ourselves whenever. And that the jquery.js is separate file from the cscart specific JS script

I highly doubt that will be the case, way too much as changed from jQuery 1.2.6 (current cs-cart included library) to the latest 1.5/1.6. Heck, a ton changed even going to 1.4 alone.

They will be having to redo and mainly improving the way they use jQuery, infact, I think alot of the bulkier stuff they do, will be removed and auto handled via jQuery's library; since it has more and more of what they needed built-in now, versus having to be custom built. This is what i'm hoping for, is a lighter set of JS scripts that properly utilize latest and greatest jQuery methods.

• Lantan
  • CVO
  • Administrators
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:17 PM #95

Thanks for clarifying this, I (my company) is VERY EXCITED for the upcoming jquery upgrade!

You are welcome.

One question, I see jQuery released 1.6 today, will you be looking to include that version, or sticking with the currently planned 1.5? I'm fine with either one, just wondering your folks standing on that.

These guys (jQuery developers) are fast releasing new versions :) We will do our best to include version 1.6 (and not 1.5 that we planned) in the next CS-Cart release.

I am afraid jQuery is not backward compatible. For example, the 'attr' method was changed in 1.6 and we will have to modify a lot of CS-Cart files. The new jQuery will not work in your current CS-Cart if you update jquery.js.

They will be having to redo and mainly improving the way they use jQuery, infact, I think alot of the bulkier stuff they do, will be removed and auto handled via jQuery's library; since it has more and more of what they needed built-in now, versus having to be custom built. This is what i'm hoping for, is a lighter set of JS scripts that properly utilize latest and greatest jQuery methods.

You are right, we are replacing our custom built functions with jQuery ones. You will see the first results in the next CS-Cart release.
Alex Vinokurov,

• owenad
  • Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:27 PM #96

You are right, we are replacing our custom built functions with jQuery ones. You will see the first results in the next CS-Cart release.

Excellent! Tell the team I said keep up the great work!

• Lantan
  • CVO
  • Administrators
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:47 AM #97

Excellent! Tell the team I said keep up the great work!

Thank you, I will!
Alex Vinokurov,

• Lantan
  • CVO
  • Administrators
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:05 AM #98

Bad news: at this moment we cannot update jQuery to version 1.6 (only to 1.5), because jQuery UI (one of 3rd party libraries that we use in CS-Cart) currently does not support jQuery 1.6. There can be some other libraries in CS-Cart that does not support the latest jQuery (we are checking them one by one).

We hope that jQuery UI developers will update their software by the end of May, so that we will be able to update jQuery to v1.6.

Thank you.
Alex Vinokurov,

• Lantan
  • CVO
  • Administrators
  • 240 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:39 AM #99

Bad news: at this moment we cannot update jQuery to version 1.6 (only to 1.5)...

Now good news: jQuery developers released version 1.6.1 yesterday and solved the problems with the 'attr' method (it is now backward compatible). This means that we can use jQuery 1.6.1 in the next CS-Cart version (2.2.1) and do not have to wait for the upgrade of the other jQuery related libraries (jQuery UI).

Thank you.
Alex Vinokurov,

• owenad
  • Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:29 PM #100

Now good news: jQuery developers released version 1.6.1 yesterday and solved the problems with the 'attr' method (it is now backward compatible). This means that we can use jQuery 1.6.1 in the next CS-Cart version (2.2.1) and do not have to wait for the upgrade of the other jQuery related libraries (jQuery UI).

Thank you.

Ah, I was unaware of any problems with 1.6, glad you folks were aware of it and glad they released a fix, and I see you mentioned jQuery UI, is jQuery UI being used and included in the next cs-cart?