• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CS-Cart 2.1.0 Release Candidate 1 Rate Topic   - - - - -

• pbannette
  • Members
  • 1038 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:06 PM #61

Can someone please explain what the two Options Settings do? They are located on the product page in the admin. They probably impact all the options for that product.
The two settings are:
Options Type: Simultaneous, sequential
Exceptions Type: Forbidden, Allowed.

You can have several combination of the above that impact all the options for that product. Has anyone looked at these settings?

Thanks,
Bob

• imac
  • Head of Product
  • CS-Cart Architects
  • 2076 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:43 PM #62

Please let me supplement zeke's answer (http://forum.cs-cart...41&postcount=55).

We've been here but get tired of repeating ourselves over and over again with no results. For example I posted an extremely long time ago (8+ months, maybe 1+yr) that the store locator needs to let the customer search by zipcode and/or by state and their is still no where to add store addresses, we should'nt be forced to use google api, I want mine to work with mapquest, others may want it to work with yahoo ect.... If you input the address this is all you need for mapquest, yahoo ect..currently by default the addon is completely useless, I had to hack the addon to work correctly as it should.

Thank you once again for all your ideas. Some of them are really good and worthy, and we will consider a possibility to be included them in futher releases. At this time, we actively cooperate with all our customers, and here are the main sources of our cooperation:

1. We have started working with uservoice, and everybody is welcome to vote for the most important features there. And it really works. Perhaps, not so fast as one may wish or expect, but currently it is our main source of tasks allowing us to know and satisfy our clients' most desirable features.

2. We have started to discuss all significant changes in the forum. See the Rodamp forum (http://forum.cs-cart...splay.php?f=53). Everyone who is intrested in further elaboration of CS-Cart can share his vision of any feature that is under development. Please read carefully this thread ( http://forum.cs-cart...ead.php?t=16846 ), and you will see that we do consider our customers' opinion.

Again, we're all here, but no one listens. This is a train wreck waiting to happen. I understand about people complaining to add this and that over and over again but you can't ask for feedback without accepting it and implementing the necessary changes needed now, not for a later release. Delaying the release by 1 week, 2 weeks is not a big deal, delay the release and fix the issues.

Please let me explain it. I would like everybody to understand that every suggested change is evaluated and analyzed by our team in order to understand how it can affect different ways of using a store - in different countries, different languages, different currencies and tax systems, etc. For example, you suggest displaying the code and state information in a single line, but we did it exactly this way as we can foresee possible bug complaints like as follows:
- We do not want to use state codes, we need full names.
- In our country, names of states are all long, so the layout of the address step at checkout is broken.
- etc.

We cannot ignore other clients just because someone is absolutely sure that the "issue" should be changed. Besides, this can be customized easily.

"Delay the release" - it's easier said than done.

We have several departments - developers, testers, usability - each department must check everything before a package is ready for release. Checkout is the most complex functionality as it affects almost everything: user accounts, product configurator, promotions, etc. In other words, if we make any changes in the checkout we will have to test the whole shopping cart cart once again. We're not afraid of difficulties, but we're trying to find the most reasonable way of applying changes (see point 2).

P.S. We're always open to communication and changes. And if you have some suggestions on how to improve the cycle of new features development, you are welcome to share them. Maybe you guys want to have an email notification each time we create a new thread in the Roadmap forum - so let's disccus it. All we know is that it is very hard to satisfy everyone, but we do our best to get closer to this crazy aim. We treat everyone of you not just as someone from the community, but the one from our community.

• gasngrills
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:48 PM #63

Please let me supplement zeke's answer (http://forum.cs-cart...41&postcount=55).

Thank you once again for all your ideas. Some of them are really good and worthy, and we will consider a possibility to be included them in futher releases. At this time, we actively cooperate with all our customers, and here are the main sources of our cooperation:

1. We have started working with uservoice, and everybody is welcome to vote for the most important features there. And it really works. Perhaps, not so fast as one may wish or expect, but currently it is our main source of tasks allowing us to know and satisfy our clients' most desirable features.

2. We have started to discuss all significant changes in the forum. See the Rodamp forum (http://forum.cs-cart...splay.php?f=53). Everyone who is intrested in further elaboration of CS-Cart can share his vision of any feature that is under development. Please read carefully this thread ( http://forum.cs-cart...ead.php?t=16846 ), and you will see that we do consider our customers' opinion.

Please let me explain it. I would like everybody to understand that every suggested change is evaluated and analyzed by our team in order to understand how it can affect different ways of using a store - in different countries, different languages, different currencies and tax systems, etc. For example, you suggest displaying the code and state information in a single line, but we did it exactly this way as we can foresee possible bug complaints like as follows:
- We do not want to use state codes, we need full names.
- In our country, names of states are all long, so the layout of the address step at checkout is broken.
- etc.

We cannot ignore other clients just because someone is absolutely sure that the "issue" should be changed. Besides, this can be customized easily.

"Delay the release" - it's easier said than done.

We have several departments - developers, testers, usability - each department must check everything before a package is ready for release. Checkout is the most complex functionality as it affects almost everything: user accounts, product configurator, promotions, etc. In other words, if we make any changes in the checkout we will have to test the whole shopping cart cart once again. We're not afraid of difficulties, but we're trying to find the most reasonable way of applying changes (see point 2).

P.S. We're always open to communication and changes. And if you have some suggestions on how to improve the cycle of new features development, you are welcome to share them. Maybe you guys want to have an email notification each time we create a new thread in the Roadmap forum - so let's disccus it. All we know is that it is very hard to satisfy everyone, but we do our best to get closer to this crazy aim. We treat everyone of you not just as someone from the community, but the one from our community.

imac,

Your point is taken and I can understand your logic and yes you guys have been listening to us and thank you for that, but you wanted feedback and you got some but at the end its your decision to do whatever makes good business sense.

Keep up the good work

Joe

CS-Cart 4.11.5

• ChrisW
  • Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:34 PM #64

I don't know why this "one page checkout" has caused so much trouble for CS. Should of kept it simple. Take a look at all your big retail sites. They have all perfected the process.

Zappos.com

go through the checkout process for one of the biggest retailers and see how things are done and why customers continue to flock and buy from this giant.

It's not fancy, it's just SIMPLE! S...I...M...P...L...E...!

You know the real difference between Zappos and the 2.1 CSC checkout? Zappos doesn't use Ajax, they display all the checkout steps on one page. There is no "mini-cart", there's a product summary at the bottom just like CSC 2.1. Zappos checkout flow is a little different than CSC's as well, they probably did lots of A/B testing before they came to the flow and steps they have now.

I think a fair request for a change would be an option to display the entire checkout process as one page and not use Ajax. That might help the issues that people are having with the one page checkout using Ajax.

• Ion_Cannon
  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:45 PM #65

Please go to this site, add an item to the cart and checkout. This is the checkout we really need. It does amazing...doesn't look amazing necessarily but it is extremely easy to use for customers. I am sure if the CS-Cart team were to do one like it they could spruce it up a bit but the idea and layout is solid.

https://thelolitasto...?m=fastcheckout
--
Lolita Glasses
Currently Running: CS-Cart 2.2.4

• whiplash13
  • PM Extraordinaire
  • Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:23 PM #66

Please go to this site, add an item to the cart and checkout. This is the checkout we really need. It does amazing...doesn't look amazing necessarily but it is extremely easy to use for customers. I am sure if the CS-Cart team were to do one like it they could spruce it up a bit but the idea and layout is solid.

I personally think that checkout is completely horrible. I am not a big fan of the single page checkout at all. I think it a lot more user friendly to have a multipage checkout. I work for a major electronic manufacturer as a PM for their corporate websites and our customer focus studies found that customers prefer multipage checkouts to single page checkouts.
John
CS Cart 4.2.4

• Struck
  • Teetering on Genious
  • Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:46 PM #67

ET,

Tony Tester
1 Test Ave
Titusville, FL USA

is correct.

I truly am not trying to be difficult, or start an argument, however, this is an official address layout:

ACME Lumber Company
Tony Tester
1 Test Ave
Titusville, FL 11122
USA
Cooking with Gas on Version 4.1.2 (But proceeding with caution....)

• TonyK
  • Members
  • 1686 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:52 PM #68

Sounds good, there original was just one long string

Test Tester 1 test avenue Testville, NY 11123 USA

that really was my point :-)

but I'd rather have it correct like yours and official.
Pimpin' skins since v1.0

• Struck
  • Teetering on Genious
  • Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:57 PM #69

Sounds good, there original was just one long string

Test Tester 1 test avenue Testville, NY 11123 USA

that really was my point :-)

but I'd rather have it correct like yours and official.

Understood! ;)

Just thought I would toss out this little detail before it was too late (so to speak), there are far too many little (but importatnt details) that have been overlooked in CS-Cart. All of these little things when added up make a big difference in usability (from both the customer as well as the store managers). CS-Cart needs to be "Americanized" (Ok, with a sprinkle of Russian on top)! :)
Cooking with Gas on Version 4.1.2 (But proceeding with caution....)

• zeke
  • Megamind
  • Administrators
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:59 PM #70

... this is the checkout we really need. It does amazing...doesn't look amazing necessarily but it is extremely easy to use for customers.

... personally think that checkout is completely horrible

This is the exactly we talked about :) - many people, many opinions.

• TonyK
  • Members
  • 1686 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:20 PM #71

Agreed, but you need to view the major e-commerce sites and mimic some of their functionality as they know what works.
Pimpin' skins since v1.0

• timst
  • Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:32 PM #72

This is the exactly we talked about :) - many people, many opinions.

So there you have the real answer.

Lets make the checkout page CONFIGURABLE from the admin without 400 templates to modify.

There is drag and drop for blocks on pages, why not make the checkout pages this way (from the admin) too?

Since the checkout area has been such a high source of contention, then it could be up to the shop owner to drag the componenets around as he/she saw fit for their shop.
V 4.2.2

• pbannette
  • Members
  • 1038 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:43 PM #73

There is drag and drop for blocks on pages, why not make the checkout pages this way (from the admin) too?

I suggested this idea and it got 33 votes.http://cscart.uservo...-checkout-steps

So far, most of this discussion is around the one page checkout. There is an alternative, the, multi-page checkout. Is this method ok now. I think a summary page was added.

Did not hear much about the product option changes. I am just looking at the on line version of rc1 and can't change much.
Bob

• TonyK
  • Members
  • 1686 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:44 PM #74

heres some more info

http://webcache.goog...lient=firefox-a

The live site is dead but the cached site works.

And top conversion sites in 2010

http://www.marketing...rch-2010-12774/
Pimpin' skins since v1.0

• Ion_Cannon
  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:46 PM #75

I personally think that checkout is completely horrible. I am not a big fan of the single page checkout at all. I think it a lot more user friendly to have a multipage checkout. I work for a major electronic manufacturer as a PM for their corporate websites and our customer focus studies found that customers prefer multipage checkouts to single page checkouts.

Well the amount of sales that one page checkout generates a month isn't horrible (about 1500 orders per month so I doubt you'd think it was horrible if you were reaping the benefits). All I care about is conversions. I use the CS-Cart multi-page checkout on my other site and it does better than the CS-cart one page checkout but if there is going to be a one-page checkout, I'd prefer non-ajax. Much less confusing to the average online user. I think it also depends on what you are selling but the easier the better. When things disappear on the screen, users tend to get confused. That's a known fact.
--
Lolita Glasses
Currently Running: CS-Cart 2.2.4

• whiplash13
  • PM Extraordinaire
  • Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:37 AM #76

Well the amount of sales that one page checkout generates a month isn't horrible (about 1500 orders per month so I doubt you'd think it was horrible if you were reaping the benefits). All I care about is conversions. I use the CS-Cart multi-page checkout on my other site and it does better than the CS-cart one page checkout but if there is going to be a one-page checkout, I'd prefer non-ajax. Much less confusing to the average online user. I think it also depends on what you are selling but the easier the better. When things disappear on the screen, users tend to get confused. That's a known fact.

All I am saying is that my company funded a study with 100 average people and presented them with several single page (2) and multipage checkout options (3). The top 2 were both Mulitpage Checkouts. They stated they were easier to use and more professional in appearance.
John
CS Cart 4.2.4

• gugga7
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:53 PM #77

May be what I'm going to say is totally dumb or too time consuming to implement, but is it possible to have several checkout layouts for the admin to choose from, including the old one... ?

• BarryH
  • Members
  • 1459 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:29 PM #78

Simple and straight forward - but personally if I can't see how much they're going to charge for shipping I wouldn't go through all that filling in to get ripped off for delivery charge.

BarryH

CS-Cart v4.4.3 (Plus one being developed v4.5.2 SP2)
UK User

• phazei
  • Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:40 PM #79

Can't download RC.
It downloads the first 972.4K, then times out each time I try.
UnicaCool.com - Instant Cool for your home
UnicaWorld.com - Our new blog

• sellon
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:18 AM #80

Is there a problem with email notification in 2.1?

1. I got email notifcation as a user to notify I of my 'New Customer profile Notification', but no email to the administrator to let know a user has joined up.

Shouldn't the shop owner/adminstrator get a notification of a new customer and also when that customer places an order?

2. Once a order has been placed and still open there is no email notification going out, niether to the customer or the cart adminstrator.

Is there a CS Cart problem here or am I doing something wrong in my settings?

Can someone tell me where & what I should be looking for if this is not a bug?