Why Is Product Image Quality So Bad?

We have built a professional studio, used good equipment and took really good product photo’s.
Our philosophy is that good images will sell more.
Yet, on our CS-Cart installation it looks horrible. All image thumbs are really crappy. (product page and categories)

The setting for jpg quality is 100% (/admin.php?dispatch=settings.manage§ion_id=Thumbnails)
Is there something else we need to do to increase quality or is this a bug in CS-Cart?

Any advise would be welcome.

Maybe your images are stretched in frontend due to custom css/mods.

I think it is a bug. We also noticed a sharp decline in our image quality when we went from version 3 to 4. I posted about it a few months ago and never got it resolved.

It turns out we needed to remove image sizes for the product page. This has improved quality there. Its still not optimal but a whole lot better than before.

For categories the thumbs still look like crap.

I am a professional photographer as well as selling gear.

I agree image quality is terrible in v4.

"It turns out we needed to remove image sizes for the product page. This has improved quality there."

How did you do that. How do you size your images to fit the page then?

Jack

Do you use HiDPI module?

We had a similar problem - bad image quality in storefront despite the fact that we've uploaded good resolution images.

We found out the problem to be from the HiDPI module (as eComLabs suggested). This module creates 2 version of every image, one that is half the size of the original image that you uploaded and this one is the one you see on the store.

After we deactivated, everything was normal.

Hope that helps.

Stefan

Do you use HiDPI module?

HiDPI is disabled. We do use the image zoom addon.
We also use Cart Power Icon flipping.
But I see many people have the same problem, so it seems something in stock CSCart.

We had a similar problem - bad image quality in storefront despite the fact that we've uploaded good resolution images.

We found out the problem to be from the HiDPI module (as eComLabs suggested). This module creates 2 version of every image, one that is half the size of the original image that you uploaded and this one is the one you see on the store.

After we deactivated, everything was normal.

Hope that helps.

Stefan

Where is this, how do you deactivate??

It's a CSC addon. Look for it in addon manager.

Add-ons -> Manage add-ons -> HiDPI displays support -> Disable

Thanks, I didn't have it installed either.