Why Is Bugtracker Tied To Helpdesk?

Seems to me that bugtracker should be monitored/managed by developers, not the helpdesk.

We either wait forever for responses/dialog and generally get a very non-technical answer or a message of "we will pass this on to developers" or "I don't understand your issue".

If I wanted to submit to helpdesk, I'd do that in the first place.

Please start stepping up to having a technical person respond to technical defects (especially those that are design defects) and find some way for a reasonable (day or two) response to "Awaithing feedback" status when we respond immediately with our feedback. Waiting weeks for you to get done releasing the next version of the product only serves to push these defects out to future releases rather than simply getting them addressed.

The volume of defect reports isn't that high. Way too much bureaucracy here.

Seems to me that bugtracker should be monitored/managed by developers, not the helpdesk.

We either wait forever for responses/dialog and generally get a very non-technical answer or a message of "we will pass this on to developers" or "I don't understand your issue".

If I wanted to submit to helpdesk, I'd do that in the first place.

Please start stepping up to having a technical person respond to technical defects (especially those that are design defects) and find some way for a reasonable (day or two) response to "Awaithing feedback" status when we respond immediately with our feedback. Waiting weeks for you to get done releasing the next version of the product only serves to push these defects out to future releases rather than simply getting them addressed.

The volume of defect reports isn't that high. Way too much bureaucracy here.

Hi Tony,

The forum is reviewed by our QA guy. He has direct contact with developers and ask them to investigate and provide detailed feedback in case the issue is technical.

All tickets should be reviewed within 1 day.

I see at the moment sometimes it takes more than 1 day to respond. I will discuss this to find out the reason.

Going back to the main problem

1) discussing technical issues takes a lot of time from developers and developers time is more expensive than QAs.

2) besides keep in mind that forum bug tracker has mainly non-technical reports, that requires a number of steps to reproduce and locate the source of the problem.

Just do a quick review of what I've posted and you'll get an idea of why it's problematic.

A good example is the one about creation of promotions from frontend (failure of Tygh SQL hook).

There are several others that once dialog starts, they just go into limbo for a month or so and then restart with "sorry took so long to respond" and all context is lost.

Again, a real bug tracker (where items can't close without either concurrence from submitter or some timer period expires without a response and an active CC list.

Note that I haven't reviewed the defect related to not having the fileinfo class installed and the last proposed solution doesn't fix the problem if there's no file type suffix in the filename (like the tmp file of a downloaded image).

Remember, that our time is valuable too and that I would hope a developer's time would be much more efficient than a QA person for analyzing defects.