Where Do You Put Adwords Conversion Code

I have added the Adwords conversion code in a block on my checkout page but if somebody does not complete the checkout then I don't get a real conversion (ie a sale) but Adwords records it as conversion.

I could put the code on the thankyou page but many of my customers pay with Paypal and never return to see the thankyou page so I would miss this being recorded as a conversion.

Has anybody a solution to this?

Thanks

Paul

There are about a 1000 posts on this topic already. Use the order:confirmation hook.

Well that's my problem. I have searched the forum and while I didn't find 1000's I found many with conflicting advice or related to older versions. The Knowledge Base is not updated for 4.1.5

I have never created a hook before so its a bit of a mystery. I am using version 4.1.5

Do I do the following:

Create this directory

design/basic/templates/my_changes/hooks/checkout

(I have looked and the my_changes directory does not exist even though the my_changes add on is active. - Is this expected ?)

Create this file with my adwords sales tracking code

order_confirmation.post.tpl

So then this code will run as soon as somebody clicks the Place Order button but before the payment is processed.

Sorry if this is a basic question, just trying to learn.

Thanks

Paul

Hello Paul,

You should create the design/themes/[YOUR_STOREFRONT_THEME]/templates/addons/my_changes/hooks/checkout directory. It is fine if the my_changes directory does not exist, the add-on does not create it by default.

All the rest is correct. I hope this will help you.

Be sure to either wrap any javascript you're getting from outside in {literal} tags or replace '{' with {ldelim} and '}' with {rdelim} or you will generate smarty errors. The method has not changed since V2 but in V3 the name of the hook was changed. It's been stable since then (that's about 3 years).