When will CS-Cart support php 5.4?

1and1 is switching in April, which is logical because PHP 5.5 will be long out by then. PHP 5.3 releases will stop, because it becomes End Off Life (EOL) at that time.

Many hosts will stop supporting anything below PHP 5.4 at that time. Many hosts run the latest 2 stable & supported branches of PHP. It does not make sense for hosts to support branches of PHP that are EOL and therefore no longer receive updates. As soon as a branch of PHP becomes EOL, thats ground for hosts to stop using it. 1and1 is just clear enough to announce what many hosts will be doing.

Would it be an option to switch to CS-Cart 3.1 Ultimate when that is released? That's what I would do IF that is released in time. That's a big IF right there, as the CS-Cart support team does not seem to aim for a solution before April.

You would seriously think about running Ultimate on a shared hosting service?

One nice thing about when a php branch goes EOL is that it's finally stable and most all semi-serious bugs have been resolved.

What new features of 5.4 do you need for your cart? What is the expected % performance improvement wit 5.4?

1and1 is a host that offers a full palette of hosting solutions. They will switch all their managed hosted solutions to PHP 5.4. This includes VDS, VPS, DS. No one mentioned CS-Cart Ultimate on shared hosting.

None the less a good point: I would not run any version of CS-Cart on a shared hosting service.

When a PHP branch goes EOL, that just means that they have moved on to the next branch. It does not mean that no bugs or vulnerabilities may be found after it has gone EOL. When a version of PHP goes EOL it is no longer possible to report a bug for that version, (At least not through their bug report page) So the number of serious bugs in unsupported branches is unknown.

You have a point that an unsupported branch is fairly reliable, but this is only the case for a limited amount of time. As soon as the bug reporting closes for a version, you are left in the dark.

Tests with forum software have shown a significant speed increase, which is nice to have. I dont know how this translates to CS-Cart. I just would not want to run an outdated unsupported version of PHP on my servers. PHP itself recommends to upgrade if you run an outdated version,

In any case: CS-Cart 3.1 will support PHP 5.4 and I see that CS 3.1 is well on its way: http://blog.cs-cart…-cs-cart-3-1-1/

So that's good news.

[quote name='CS-Cart Support team' timestamp='1354019700' post='149994']

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your messages.

We understand your concern regarding this matter. Our engineers are already working on the new major CS-Cart version where full compatibility with PHP version 5.4 will be implemented. Unfortunately, I cannot tell when exactly this version will be released as long as we do not know it yet.

Meanwhile you can use the workaround provided by our engineer here if your CS-Cart store is installed on a server with PHP 5.4 and you experience compatibility issues.

I apologize for the inconvenience in this matter and hope that this solution is satisfactory.

Pavel Zyukin

CS-Cart Support team

[/quote]

Hi Pavel,

I cannot go to this link. it said error, could you please check or maybe provide other link?

Thank you

Hello dsc81,

Thank you for your message.

I have changed the primary group of your forum account. Please check this link once again and let me know the result.

Thank you.

Pavel Zyukin

CS-Cart Support team

Hello flasher,

[quote name='flasher' timestamp='1355517239' post='151183']

Hi I run an older site www.drywallzone.com on 1.3.5 which is very very busy and I do not want to change anything and keep getting an email from my upgrade dept failed upgrade of new 5.4 php and do not want to update until there is a fix to update and really love the older version, is there a fix for this to apply so I can update my php. I also run www.drywalltoolsplus.co on same server different licience

[/quote]

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, some PHP code changes are required to be made to adapt CS-Cart version 1.3.5 for PHP 5.4. You can make them yourself (if you know PHP) or hire a third-party developer (here you can find a lot of offers from CS-Cart developers or consider our custom development service).

Thank you.

Pavel Zyukin

CS-Cart Support team

Hi Pavel,

Thanks I can open the link. But is this work with 2.2.5 ?

Hello dsc81,

Yes, you can apply these code changes to your CS-Cart store version 2.2.5 as well.

Thank you.

Pavel Zyukin

CS-Cart Support team

For your information only

The PHP development team announces the immediate availability of PHP 5.4.10 and PHP 5.3.20. These releases fix about 15 bugs. Please note that the PHP 5.3 series will enter an end of life cycle and receive only critical fixes as of March 2013. All users of PHP are encouraged to upgrade to PHP 5.4.

ps: please fix it immediately

PHP 5.5 beta will be released on February 7th and PHP 5.5 Gold will be released early March.

[quote=PHP.net]Alpha4 is the last alpha for PHP5.5. We are now beginning the betas, and the first beta is expected for February 7th. Betas won't add any new features but consolidate the source code and fix found bugs.[/quote]

There are only few backward incompatibilities, so it should be very easy to make CS-Cart compatible with PHP5.5

[url=“http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration55.incompatible.php”]PHP: Manual Quick Reference

[url=“http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration55.deprecated.php”]PHP: Manual Quick Reference

[url=“http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration55.changed-functions.php”]PHP: Manual Quick Reference

Please make CS-Cart compatible with PHP 5.5 in the near future, so that we can move our servers to PHP 5.5 in the coming months.

The new password security functions in PHP5.5 are important to note:

[url=“http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration55.new-functions.php”]PHP: Manual Quick Reference

CS-Cart need serious improvement on password security & hashing. This new function in PHP 5.5 could resolve CS-Cart its security weakness.