What To Do To Make Basic "search" To Look For "all Words" In Version 4.1.?

In my mind there was a way to edit the basic search in CS-Cart to make it look for all of the words someone types in instead of just using the exact phrase they type.

For example, if a customer types in…

[quote]green shoes[/quote]

…and it will pull up ALL products that has both words in it. Right now if you have a product that is called…

[quote]green pump shoes[/quote]

…the current search for CS-Cart does not see it. I guess there may be a setting some place, but I think I am confusing it with the old “auto-suggest” from shippingkit.com.

Hello Jim,

I see two ways here:

1. In the admin back-end go to Settings → General and scroll down to Search options. Tick Search also in Pages and News. In this case, search will be wider, it will look for all words instead of exact word combination.

2. In the admin back-end on a product editing page there is a Search words field where you can put all word combinations that can customers use for this product.

Both variants are not ideal but probably it may help.

Best regards, Alt-team

Thanks for the reply Alt-Team!

We tried the page and news and oh my does that bring up a ton of stuff. Some of it way out dated from years ago. Most of it not something that would help a customer find something. I also realized from another post that if you tell the system to search pages & news it will no longer show images in the search then.

On the “search words”, we do this in quite a few different ways already. We actually enjoy this feature of CS-Cart. As you mention though, it is not ideal to say the least as you never know what customers will search. As we see search terms in our cpanel we add them to this area to help customers find things.

I guess the sad part is default CS-Cart has pretty much no “real” search capabilities. I am then guessing that this is by design to push CS-Cart users to use their Searchanise (SaaS) program? At that point I just wish Seachanise did not have so many issues, primarily the fact that it slows down the page load so much.

I had found the search program by Webgraphic and one other place, but I cannot find the second place again. I'll have to keep “searching” to see if I can find the other company to compare it with what Webraphic offers. I am also hoping that maybe by then shippingkit.com will be back on the scene with their add-on (which we loved), but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][quote]As we see search terms in our cpanel we add them to this area to help customers find things[/quote][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]How do you do this in cpanel clips, am I missing a trick here?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]John[/font][/color]

I have awstats in cpanel and go to “Keyphrases used on search engines”. This tells me what people use to come to our site. Sometimes they spell things wrong so we add those to the “search words” on the item they were trying to find. We also have Logoaholic and can see search terms that people use to come to the page there, but I like the report from awstats better.

Great thanks, just found it disabled. I enabled it via whm and now got it running

Thanks

john

John, on your site it looks like you are using the standard search too. Have you always used the default search from CS?

[font=Helvetica][size=3]

To set quick search to search by “all of these words”[/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3]

1. Open the file: /app/functions/fn.catalog.php[/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3]
  2. In this file add the following code:[/size][/font]

[color=#0061FF][font=Helvetica][size=3]

if (empty($params['match'])) {[/size][/font][/color][color=#0061FF][font=Helvetica][size=3]

$params['match'] = 'all';[/size][/font][/color][color=#0061FF][font=Helvetica][size=3]

}[/size][/font][/color]

[font=Helvetica][size=3]

above this one:[/size][/font]

[color=#77BB41][font=Helvetica][size=3]

// Search string condition for SQL query[/size][/font][/color]

[font=Helvetica][size=3]

Save the file, and replace the one on your server with the new one.[/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3]

ALWAYS remember to backup.[/size][/font]