what are the pros and cons of fixed and floating width templates

I can sort of see them but think I might be missing something and there might be that one sentence that makes it all clear.

For me I prefer fixed width. The majority of my customers are running a resolution or 1064 x 768 and 1280 x 800. I want all of my customers to see the same thing. I don’t want my formatting to get messed up and I don’t want to have to have my customers scroll left and right.

I have my site set to something like 1000px wide so that way everybody sees the same thing.

I especially like this since I am working with a 23 inch screen running at resolution of 1920 x 1080. I have learned that even though things might look great on my screen they don’t necissarily look good at different resolutions.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure that you can do a floating width just fine since there are a lot of people that do including some big boys like Amazon.com.

Brandon

I stay with 997px. I tried the full screen, but never could get the design right. Banners were looking cool on 1024/768 but on bigger screens, I had empty spaces on both sides and the central block was showing things differently.

I saw one ecommerce website on my 24" screen, where products list had very small icons on the left and description underneath with add to cart button on the right side at the very end. No lines between products. It was almost impossible to buy something I wanted. Now, they have done it in 997px.

Thanks I can sort of see that might be the case. Food for thought.

I am funnily curious about that 997 pixels v Brandon’s 1000 you must have chosen it for a reason ?

Or is it just a dislike of round numbers?

I was wondering the same thing.

I think Noman just want to be “different”

Brandon

Yeah, I’m different :wink:

I know, 1000px appears nicely on 1028x768 however, for some reason I had bottom scroll bar appearing. No clue why. Then I checked websites of some companies I was buying stock on a daily basis and they had 997 width. Without thinking much, I’ve done the same and no more problems. I know, size matters, but c’mon guys - 3px?

He is wearing the local costume for these parts (Yorkshire) so would not stand out at all.:slight_smile:

Maybe in Surrey he does.

There is always - well usually a reason - nice to know why.

And it seems that 3 pixels does matter! Explains a lot - sadly!

Thanks