We purchased CS-CART only to receive an legal threat

[quote name=‘jobosales’]Why are you so interested in pursuing something which CS-Cart says does not comply with their license agreement? You were the one a few months ago who was so concerned and vocal about potential license misuse.

Bob[/quote]

What license misuse???What does not comply with cs-cart license agreement? Can you explain what are you talking about?

Do you read my question? A Required Option mod will violate cs-cart license???

[quote name=‘joe’]What license misuse???What does not comply with cs-cart license agreement? Can you explain what are you talking about? Can you quote some fact before saying nonsense here?

Do you read my question?[/QUOTE]

Are you suggesting that CS-Cart has agreed that this installation is legal. Nothing that I have read suggests that. CS-Cart’s stance is that a license allows you to operate a single storefront with a single fully qualified domain name and featuring the same look-and-feel. Since the point of the OP’s mod is to change the logo, the store no longer has the same look-and-feel. I will leave it to the lawyers to sort out but I am not sure why you would want to tread into an area that CS-Cart is loudly proclaiming is illegal.

As to my comment about potential misuse, I am juxtaposing your attitude above against some of your prior posts where you looked less favorably on others for potential license abuse:

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showpost.php?p=50935&postcount=2[/url]

[QUOTE]Do you have a license of cs-cart? If not, we can not provide any help for you. Sorry about that.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showpost.php?p=50970&postcount=5[/url]

[QUOTE]Hey WebGuy, you know, it’s not that I’m not nice to him. Just worried about some people who uses nulled script and still want to get support.

If we are so generous to provide such kind of support to those people, I think the cs-cart members will suffer from the result.

Obviously, this is not the right place to ask that question.

Anyway, thanks for your input on this problem. Your help is invaluable.[/QUOTE]

And, then, there is this thread where you made accusations that turned out to be without merit - the shop in question was fully-licensed:

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?p=45691&highlight=license#post45691[/url]

I am simply having a hard time understanding how you went from your prior concern about license misuse to the attitude implied above that this issue is settled and shop owners have the right to do what the OP has.

Bob

[quote name=‘jobosales’]Are you suggesting that CS-Cart has agreed that this installation is legal. Nothing that I have read suggests that. CS-Cart’s stance is that a license allows you to operate a single storefront with a single…[/quote]

I assume you don’t understand anything because you only quote me partly, in a very bad way.

Why? Because I was trying to find the fact while you just took only a part of my post.

Why should I care about license misuse? It’s totally NONE of my business! It’s just weird to answer code modification question in Why Cs-cart section. That’s it, so simple.

Please Bob, open your eyes and look carefully about my question! I’m asking about a Required Option mod, that’s it. In my opinion, at least this guy has one legal licence! So what’s the problem that I ask about a mod that is made on a licensed website?

And, I didn’t suggest anything!

[quote name=‘joe’]I assume you don’t understand anything because you only quote me partly, in a very bad way.[/QUOTE]

Yep! You are right, I am stupid.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE]Why? Because I was trying to find the fact while you just took only a part of my post.

Why should I care about license misuse? It’s totally NONE of my business! It’s just weird to answer code modification question in Why Cs-cart section. That’s it, so simple.[/QUOTE]

So, in other words, you admit that you were questioning about something that is"NONE of your business".

[QUOTE]Please Bob, open your eyes and look carefully about my question! I’m asking about a Required Option mod, that’s it. In my opinion, at least this guy has one legal licence! So what’s the problem that I ask about a mod that is made on a licensed website?[/QUOTE]

Please point me to the post where he mentioned a “Required Option mod”. Maybe the confusion is that such a mod was never discussed.

As to the license issue, I will leave that to the lawyers to sort out as I previously stated.

[QUOTE]And, I didn’t suggest anything![/QUOTE]

You said this:[QUOTE]What license misuse???What does not comply with cs-cart license agreement? Can you explain what are you talking about?[/QUOTE]

Your questions imply your assessment of the issue.

[QUOTE] suggest

verb

1 Ruth suggested a vacation propose, put forward, recommend, advocate; advise, urge, encourage, counsel.

2 evidence suggests that teenagers are responsive to price increases indicate, lead to the belief, argue, demonstrate, show; formal evince.

3 sources suggest that the prime minister will change his cabinet [hint, insinuate, imply, intimate, indicate; informal put ideas into one’s head.

4 the seduction scenes suggest his guilt and her loneliness [COLOR=“Red”]convey, express, communicate, impart, imply, intimate, smack of, evoke, conjure up[/COLOR]; formal evince.[/QUOTE]

The bottom line is that this issue should have been pursued privately, not in a public forum.

Bob

I’ll make this quick and simple for everyone involved.

End Game: You purchased the license under the terms and conditions provided by CS-Cart that were in good faith of usage for 95% of the customer base.

Accordingly, your modifications go outside CS-Carts expectation of fair usage. I would suggest for what its’ worth you purchase an additional license. Short, quick simple and you no longer have to worry about this thread being near the #1 position for your shops URL.

Metaphorically:

If you take a normal car, install liquid nitrogen, wings and crash barriers it doesn’t mean what you have can still be called a car.

For those who have posted in this thread I apologise for the need to delete your posts however I sure when you all cool down it will be for the better.

Jesse

[quote name=‘deMarchi’]gmee, I just got reply from @license@ that you aggreed that you break license agreement. Please reply if it’s true or not, because we are implementing the same structure like you. Thanks![/QUOTE]

No we did not AGREE!

We did offer to pay twice if they feel modifying the user table to handle end users and wholesalers was two shops, even though it is ONE installation, after all the amount is tiny.

What we object to is being accused of making two installations despite offering to let them log-in to our server and see for themselves it is one installation.

We have had no reply from cs-cart on this.

And to respond to the previous question: “So if I send a question via contact us or any contact email one responding to them and shipping items will be you with same return address ? Other people out side of your company are not involved ?”

The answer is we are running ONE shop, ONE installation, ONE company, ONE shipping, ONE billing. No third parties are involved whatsoever in the processing or shipping of orders. We simply have affiliates we pay commission for sending us traffic/sales. We are doing basic marketing to reach many types of customers.

We already offered to buy a 2nd license as we have end-user customers and wholesaler types, that’s fine but we’ve had no reply.

[quote name=‘Unregistered’]This is a little bit of unusual situation, but I think that the license should be based on how many admin backends are used.

In today’s world, or in a web 2.0 envoirment, you can build a site (with yout own design) to show product information from another site (think Amazon Associates with the AWS API), and even accept payments all under your site, but the actual managment of the order is done by the other site.

Even better, the license should be based on how many product tables and customer tables the database has. If someone then customizes CS-Cart beyond that, it would be considered major changes, which are beyond what CS-Cart was meant to be.

Imagine that someone buys a license, then changes the code to act as a forum instead of a web store. Will he need to pay a different fee? What if he adds some code to act as an auction site, in addition to the web store, will he need to pay CS-Cart some extra fees?[/QUOTE]

Exactly right. Plus, the license agreement states clearly ONE installation. We are not running 2 shops, but we need a way to differentiate between our customer types, so we added a field to the user database, as cs-cart stated to us we can modify the PHP code.

We want an answer to this from cs-cart. If we have 1,000 affiliates are we required to pay 1000 license fees to cs-cart?

Give us a straight answer; or does cs-cart feel they can change the terms of a license agreement after we purchased a license? To make is absolutely clear, we have ONE admin backend, one DB, ONE skin, ONE install directory, one server. Cs-cart has been installed ONE time only. Only one copy of the software exists.

In 20 years of being in the software business, we’ve never seen a farce like this.

Can other customers who purchased a single installation, and who want to run affiliates expect the same threats?

Gmee,

Sitting back as a casual observer and reading all these posts I feel Cs-cart is correct. You are abusing their good faith license agreement. From the tone of your posts it appears you also realize you are abusing the license and are trying to convince yourself you are not. Hopefully you can negotiate a special license agreement (politely) with cs-cart. Both of you are in business to make money, do not forget that.

David

my 2 cents worth, and I am not looking to start a flame war.

I also feel CS-Cart is right. These are “domain licenses”. I see 2 different domains so as a company i’d need to see 2 different licenses. The other argument seems to be to me for example as if you purchase 1 OS (Lets say windows) and hack it so that another computer “looks” and “functions” as a separate OS installation while this may not be the case.

In any case there would be no way for cs-cart to determine who is an abuser of license policy from who’s not if everyone was to do this type of modification, hence the reason domains played such a role in this determination.

Just my 2 cents…

I also feel CS-Cart is right. These are “domain licenses”. I see 2 different domains so as a company I’d need to see 2 different licenses. The other argument seems to be to me for example as if you purchase 1 OS (Lets say windows) and hack it so that another computer “looks” and “functions” as a separate OS installation while this may not be the case. Speaking of affiliates, there’s a built in affiliate system.

In any case there would be no way for cs-cart to determine who is an abuser of license policy from who’s not if everyone was to do this type of modification, hence the reason domains played such a role in this determination.

Someone even smarter then gmee probably would make ebay clone of cs-cart, should this be also covered by cs-cart license :slight_smile: ?

If everyone has his own store front why not making also backend for everyone?

Very interesting topic.

indexprint . ru

k10 . ru

I violating the license agreement? No?

gmee invented a good solution. cs-cart should be to learn and do a lot of domain license, or extend it.

Perhaps cs-cart did not believe that it is possible to do so.

cs-cart script endless possibilities :slight_smile:

[quote name=‘ALEXsei_’]Very interesting topic.

indexprint . ru

k10 . ru

I violating the license agreement? No?

gmee invented a good solution. cs-cart should be to learn and do a lot of domain license, or extend it.

Perhaps cs-cart did not believe that it is possible to do so.

cs-cart script endless possibilities :-)[/QUOTE]

What you have is just redirect :slight_smile:

Hello,

I think this thread has been played out. Seems to be an issue that only CS-CART and gmee can resolve.

I do get the impression that gmee has configured cs-cart in a unique way that could be benificial and an oportunity for cs-cart to expand the functionality of cs-cart, possibly with a special license.

I think if gmee and cs-cart can sit at a table with a couple of beers, this can be resolved.

Bob

All right! but!

indexprint. ru too redirection! :slight_smile:

ninadesign. ru / cscart / index.php

I have one hosting multiple sites. Naturally they all work through redirection. as an account ninadesign :slight_smile: I do not rule out that gmee all domains also instituted through redirection, only in different parts of the script or on separate pages.]

[quote name=‘pbannette’]Hello,

I think this thread has been played out. Seems to be an issue that only CS-CART and gmee can resolve.

I do get the impression that gmee has configured cs-cart in a unique way that could be benificial and an oportunity for cs-cart to expand the functionality of cs-cart, possibly with a special license.

I think if gmee and cs-cart can sit at a table with a couple of beers, this can be resolved.

Bob[/QUOTE]

Bob, I fully support you!

[quote name=‘ALEXsei_’]All right! but!

indexprint. ru too redirection! :slight_smile:

ninadesign. ru / cscart / index.php

I have one hosting multiple sites. Naturally they all work through redirection. as an account ninadesign :slight_smile: I do not rule out that gmee all domains also instituted through redirection, only in different parts of the script or on separate pages.][/QUOTE]

From different redirect entering gmee website you get different store front, one with possibility to login only wholesellers other for retail and so on… many…

Now an average buyer would get a feeling owner of the shop is different, as domain is different, and name of store also…

But why all affiliates need a different domain look? What are customers told, they own this store or what ?

[quote name=‘Darius’]From different redirect entering gmee website you get different store front, one with possibility to login only wholesellers other for retail and so on… many…

Now an average buyer would get a feeling owner of the shop is different, as domain is different, and name of store also…

But why all affiliates need a different domain look? What are customers told, they own this store or what ?[/QUOTE]

I see this in another perspective. sample

domain. ru - entrance to Russian

domain. com - entrance to English

One site, but the license is violated.

Buy a license, but the script does not install?

Hello,

Thanks to all for your comments.

Our position in this situation is based on the CS-Cart Software License Agreement ( [url]http://cs-cart.com/license.html[/url] ) which is accepted before purchasing the first license.

According to it, a CS-Cart license is issued for a domain. In the current case we can see 2 different CS-Cart-based stores with different design and functionality on 2 websites. Even if it is technically realized through one CS-Cart software installation, one of these domains does not have a license. This breaches Paragraph 1. LICENSE GRANT “This Software is licensed to be installed and used on only one domain. A valid license must be purchased for each domain on which the Software is installed and for each additional installation on the same domain.”

It is possible to have several domains which are redirected to one licensed domain. By redirection we mean the following: for example, your licensed domain is www.myshop.com and you have several additional domains e.g. www.mygoodshop.com and www.mygreatshop.com. When a visitor enters www.mygoodshop.com in his browser location bar, he/she is automatically taken to www.myshop.com (URL in the location bar is changed to this domain).

I hope this information will help you to understand the licensing policy of our company. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me in our Customer Help Desk or using the following e-mail: license@cs-cart.com

Thank you.

… and what Noman said before? 2 domains, 2 licenses! Read T&C and stop arguing.