Want sub-category images on category page

This is a Cs-Cart Pro 2.1.2 questions.

Suppose I have a category called “Fasteners”. I have subcategories “Bolts” and “Nails”. I have an image for “Bolts” and one for “Nails”.

When I navigate to the “Fasteners” page, I have text-only links to “Bolts” and Nails". What I wish is for text + image links. (I’ve seen this done on some page linked to in the forum, but I can’t get back there :frowning: )

I have tried using the Layout tab on my Category. Curiously, I can choose a Product Details Layout choice, but all the other options are disabled. The Admin / Settings / Appearance / Product list layout settings section has everything enabled (all checked), so I don’t know what to change here.

Is this related to my not being able to change the Customer skin? When I select a new one and Save, the net result is returning to the Basic skin. That is, do I have a permissions problem?

Thanks in advance,

Jerome.

When creating a new category there is an image option to add thumbnail and detail image, probably best to just add thumbnail. This will then add image and text on cat page.

JOhn

Let’s get more specific.

The page that is misbehaving is found on my site in the breadcrumb trail:

Home > Abrasives > Rubber Wheels Mounted. On that page is some text, followed by the subcategory choices. There are eight of them, including Bullet Point Wheel and Cylinder Wheel.

The settings for Rubber Wheels Mounted are:

Name, Location, Description all have values

Status = Active

Thumbnail = Koala.jpg, with a description

Larger = Desert.jpg, with a description

(these are uploaded from MS 7 sample pictures)

No SEO data

No Blocks

No Addons

The Layout says Parent (default template)

Oh, look at that! The disabled controls become useful when the “Use Custom” is checked! OK, so I change things to use Grid 2 and Grid 3 and use 3 columns.

After saving everything, and even clearing the cache, I still get two columns of subcategories and text only. No choice of using Grid 2 or Grid 3, although Bullet Wheel and Cylinder Wheel give me those choices.

Now I ensure that I have images and descriptions for them in Bullet Wheel and Cylinder wheel. Saving again, even clearing cache again, I get same old thing.

Where I want to go is to have the thumbnail for Bullet and Cylinder appear along with the subcategory name.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks,

Jerome.

Check out this link. This is what I used for my site. Works great.

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?p=99621#post99621[/url]

cmund

I finally tried this. I took the advice of:

CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation

and created the two files where instructed:

/public_html/mywebstoresite.com/skins/brickwork_dark_steel/customer/addons/my_changes/hooks/categories/view.override.tpl

/public_html/mywebstoresite.com/addons/my_changes/controllers/customers/categories.post.php

(mywebstoresite.com isn’t the actual directory name, but let it ride here…)

I cleared the cache and turned to the site. I got a list of icons with names, three wide (I asked for three wide). Something like the attached noimage_cats.jpg file.

In my admin, Catalog, Categories page I have a thumbnail and “popup larger image” assigned to some of these subcategories.

How do I get to the last step and get images here?

Thanks,

Jerome.

noimage_cats.jpg

I tried the “display-subcategories-multicolumns” fix, and got a 3-column layout with places for images. But my images don’t display, just “no-image.gif”.

Is there something else I must do?

[quote name=‘cmund’]Check out this link. This is what I used for my site. Works great.

cmund[/QUOTE]

I used the “official” solution and didn’t get images. I then used your solution and got images. This is cool.

Now two things. One is small, the other baffling.

Small: I now have two columns. Where is the bit that sets the number of columns? In view.override.tpl I looked at these lines:

{split data=$subcategories size=$columns|default:“2” assign=“splitted_subcategories”}

{math equation=“floor(100/x)” x=$columns|default:“2” assign=“cell_width”}

and changed the “2” to “3”. But I got no apparent change in my display.

The big thing: I have layered categories: Abrasives, Rubber mounted wheels, Bullet wheels, (various bullet wheel products). When on the Catalog page I click on the Abrasives link, either the text or image, and I get to the Abrasives page that shows mounted wheels, unmounted wheels, etc. I click on, say, rubber mounted wheels image. I get a greyed-out layer for a dialog that doesn’t show. Click again to recover. I click the image again and get a popup showing the image. The text link takes me to the Rubber Mounted Wheels category page, but not the image.

Go down (by text links) to the Cylinder wheels page and you get a set of wheels. Click on an image and you are taken to the details of the product.

In short, clicking on an image as navigation is working for the highest and lowest levels only. The intermediate levels are giving me a selection of images.

What am I not doing right here?

Thanks,

Jerome.

[quote name=‘cmund’]Check out this link. This is what I used for my site. Works great.

cmund[/QUOTE]

I used the “official” solution and didn’t get images. I then used your solution and got images. This is cool.

Now two things. One is small, the other baffling.

Small: I now have two columns. Where is the bit that sets the number of columns? In view.override.tpl I looked at these lines:

{split data=$subcategories size=$columns|default:“2” assign=“splitted_subcategories”}

{math equation=“floor(100/x)” x=$columns|default:“2” assign=“cell_width”}

and changed the “2” to “3”. But I got no apparent change in my display.

The big thing: I have layered categories: Abrasives, Rubber mounted wheels, Bullet wheels, (various bullet wheel products). When on the Catalog page I click on the Abrasives link, either the text or image, and I get to the Abrasives page that shows mounted wheels, unmounted wheels, etc. I click on, say, rubber mounted wheels image. I get a greyed-out layer for a dialog that doesn’t show. Click again to recover. I click the image again and get a popup showing the image. The text link takes me to the Rubber Mounted Wheels category page, but not the image.

Go down (by text links) to the Cylinder wheels page and you get a set of wheels. Click on an image and you are taken to the details of the product.

In short, clicking on an image as navigation is working for the highest and lowest levels only. The intermediate levels are giving me a selection of images.

What am I not doing right here?

Thanks,

Jerome.

Sorry about the multiple posts. Seems the forum software appears to lose my posts, and I post again b/c I’m not sure if they are in moderation or in /dev/null.

Anyways, using a different version of this solution got me all the way there. See the thread below for details.

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?p=108667[/url]

It may be worth noting, if you have applied the official fix (KB article) and see no immediate changes on your front-end, but are sure you have applied the fix properly, remember to flush your cache (domain.com/admin.php?cc or whatever you have changed admin.php suffixed by ?cc) - I had this problem and flushing the admin cache finished the job off - looks great!