Virtual Private -vs- Managed Dedicated Servers

My current e-commerce site runs on Joomla & Virtuemart. I am in the process of moving all of our products to CS-Cart and re-doing the site at the same time.

The past few months my customers have been experiencing blank pages on checkout. I was told by Site Ground Hosting the problem was the result of my site reaching the pre-set limits. My current web traffic is approximately 3500 hits per day and the C-Panel shows:

Disk Space Usage

1938.08/768000 MB

Monthly Bandwidth Transfer

21716.11/7500000 MB

Siteground recommends I move to either a Virtual Private Server that allows for 1.5 GB of Ram, and 2,000 GB Traffic or a Managed Dedicated Server with 2 GB of Ram and 2500 GB of Traffic. The price is between $199.00 and $239.00 per month. The price is not an issue, but what would the the best move for our business for continued future growth

I just want to get some input from others who have experience in this area and what they might advise. I’m not looking for advise on hosting companies, but what would be the best move for our company that is growing very fast related to servers.

When I switch the DNS to the new site with CS-Cart, I want my customers to have a great experience and the site not continually crashing due to increased web traffic.

Thanks for the input.

Bryan

Barn Light Electric Company

Hello Bryan,

[quote name=‘barnlightelectric’]

Siteground recommends I move to either a[COLOR=“Red”] Virtual Private Server[/COLOR] that allows for 1.5 GB of Ram, and 2,000 GB Traffic or a [COLOR=“Red”]Managed Dedicated [/COLOR]Server with 2 GB of Ram and 2500 GB of Traffic. The price is between [COLOR=“#ff0000”]$199.00 and $239.00 per month[/COLOR]. The price is not an issue, but what would the the best move for our business for continued future growth[/quote]

You are NOT alone on a Virtual Private Server. So, your worries could quickly reappear if your business is soaring!

Choose a Managed Dedicated with which you are alone :wink:

You can ask your questions about the best forum for webhosting:

[url]http://www.webhostingtalk.com/[/url]

Lee Li Pop

Managed Dedicated Server all the way… I’ve done them all… Shared, Virtual Private Server and Managed Dedicated Server. Every other hosting I had (multiple companies) had major problems. I finally made the switch to a Managed Dedicated Server after my VPS went down for multiple days and nobody would answer the phone or reply to support emails/tickets…

I’m currently with Liquid Web… they aren’t the cheapest but my down time over almost 2 years has been almost zero and I can get an ‘intelligent’ tech support guy on the phone in minutes. Issues are resolved VERY quickly even if you cause them :wink:

If you have the budget Managed Dedicated Server.

Hello egodshall,

Website and services at Liquid Web are very interesting :wink:

Lee Li Pop

I found this blog article at Rochen. Very interesting on the way many hosting companies are advertising.

Overselling