Vacation mode?

Is there any way of putting my website in “vacation mode”? I want people to be able to enter my website and see my products with prices and everything but now be able to make a purchase.

I keep seeing people ask for this feature. Why not just allow them to purchase items but mention that you’re out of town and orders will ship by a certain date… seems strange to not allow potential customers to give you money

[quote name=‘racingsolution’]I keep seeing people ask for this feature. Why not just allow them to purchase items but mention that you’re out of town and orders will ship by a certain date… seems strange to not allow potential customers to give you money[/QUOTE]

Because I will be gone for 3 months and a lot of people wont read the message and then I will be dealing with angry customers asking where are their products.

[quote name=‘joelstitch’]Because I will be gone for 3 months and a lot of people wont read the message and then I will be dealing with angry customers asking where are their products.[/QUOTE]

I just did a quicky test and seem to have found an option for you. Just disable all shipping methods … It won’t let people checkout without selecting one.

Thats a good idea, I will do that for now. But I would prefer to not let people add the items to the shopping cart.

Create this file

addons/my_changes/controllers/customer/checkout.post.php

with this content:

fn_set_notification('C', "On Vacation", "Will return XXX, please come back then and we will be happy to process your order!", true);
fn_redirect(empty($_REQUEST['return_url']) ? $index_script : $_REQUEST['return_url']);

When a customer tries to add to the cart or go to checkout, they will get a message than you’re on vacation.

I agree with racingsolution though, turning customers away is always bad. Get someone to run your business for you while you’re gone. Give 'em the profits. You’ll just build a stronger customer base.

Whats a holiday?:mrgreen:

[quote name=‘johnbol1’]Whats a holiday?:mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

+1 :slight_smile:

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]Create this file

addons/my_changes/controllers/customer/checkout.post.php

with this content:

fn_set_notification('C', "On Vacation", "Will return XXX, please come back then and we will be happy to process your order!", true);
fn_redirect(empty($_REQUEST['return_url']) ? $index_script : $_REQUEST['return_url']);

When a customer tries to add to the cart or go to checkout, they will get a message than you’re on vacation.

I agree with racingsolution though, turning customers away is always bad. Get someone to run your business for you while you’re gone. Give 'em the profits. You’ll just build a stronger customer base.[/QUOTE]

The message shows up on the top but barely noticeable. Is there any way to make it into a pop up?

If you’re on 2.1.2 you can either wait for their fix in 2.1.3 or you can change ‘true’ to ‘S’ in the fn_set_notification() parameters (last parameter). The message should center in the screen based on the CSS I’ve seen for various skins. You can change the type (first parmater) from ‘C’ to ‘N’ which might make a difference.

Otherwise you’ll have to format the box how you want via CSS.

The goal was more to show “how”. You might need to modify to suit your needs.

I forgot to start it as a php. Its working fine now. Thanks!

Hello tbirnseth

What is the way to activate customized popup on every page load? not just during checkout…

OK figured out.

Just name it

init.post.php instead of checkout.post.php

and write as follows (for latest version):

fn_set_notification('N', "Your title", "your message");
?>

Why not use 'catalog mode'?

Well, in some cases catalogue mode serves.

But imaging that your production is really on vacation for let us say 20 days or Deadline for the orders is “Day X” if you want to receive it before Christmas… The idea in this type of Notifications that your shop is running in normal mode, and if people want to buy (pay) they can buy, but at least THEY ARE INFORMED THAT THEY WILL NOT RECEIVE the order before “Day X”

Has anyone got a view on the best way to set this up for version 4.2?

Regards

Andrew

[quote name='andrew@designandpost.co.uk' timestamp='1436983525' post='223099']

Has anyone got a view on the best way to set this up for version 4.2?

Regards

Andrew

[/quote]

The native way is

1. Enable “Catalog mode” add-on
  2. Set a banner on home page somthing like “Sales start at DATE”

Or try this

Our free Pop-up Wrapper module allows to show any block in popup on any page