Upgrading to *new* CS-Cart

I've been putting off a CS-Cart Shopping Cart upgrade for a loooooong time! Thing is, I download CS-Cart 1.3.5 years ago and have liked it a lot. I find it to be a very stable shopping cart.

Over the years, I have created other ecommerce stores trying out different CS-Cart platforms, including 2.0+. I just find 2.0+ to be a bit unstable, in the sense that Cs-Cart is constantly releasing updates. On second, I have 2.1.2 and then, all of a sudden, 2.1.3 (or whatever) comes out. The new release, causes my template and any addons built for 2.1.2 to go bad! It's frustrating. I enjoyed the fact that 1.3.5 was out for a long time, was constnatly stable, and was left alone.

BUT I know I need to upgrade. My biggest and most successful shop is still running on 1.3.5. I wanted to just ride it out, but I realize now that I need to do a move… FedEx updating their “key” is a big example; now my “real time rates” and “address checker” are starting to stop working.

So, far I have downloaded a new copy of CS-Cart to my server and I am creating a new website in the background. I have tried to recreate the same categories and same products (a few changes have been made for navigation ease), that my current cart uses. I do not notice the overall structure of the new cart is much different. For instance, on the new site, the links are “permalinks”.

So, any links I have floating around the web, directing people to “index.php?target=categories&category_id=439” will be dead, because that link is now “/product-cat/product/”.

I figured I could do a 301 redirect list, but some SEO folks tell me that even with a 301 redirect list for all my old links, Google will instantly see a pile of dead links, punish me, and my site will fall of the 1st page.

I am literally on the edge, between suffering through an update cart or not?

Has anybody else tried this move? Do they recommend working with anybody? I am looking for a SEO company or individual with experience who can help monitor the move.

[quote]I figured I could do a 301 redirect list, but some SEO folks tell me that even with a 301 redirect list for all my old links, Google will instantly see a pile of dead links, punish me, and my site will fall of the 1st page.[/quote]

You must redirect your old URL’s via 301, whether you create individual redirects in .htaccess, or via Mod Re-write.

Based on your comments/concerns, I would suggest you contact forum member JesseLee Stringer for assistance.

http://forum.cs-cart.com/user/8965-jesseleestringer/

I recommend working with Snorocket for your cart update. I've hired a lot of website guys in the past, and he updates the sites fast!

Budget Friendly

Fast Service

[quote name='Struck' timestamp='1323380055' post='127542']

You must redirect your old URL's via 301, whether you create individual redirects in .htaccess, or via Mod Re-write.

Based on your comments/concerns, I would suggest you contact forum member JesseLee Stringer for assistance.

JesseLeeStringer - Viewing Profile - CS-Cart Community Forums

[/quote]

Sorry Dude,

I'm leaving the USA for Australia (Going back) so won't have any CS-Cart projects/clientele by March 1st 2012.

Going to suggest to clients that they refer to BrandonVD in future (New position, using CS-Cart however managing director)

[quote]I’m leaving the USA for Australia (Going back) so won’t have any CS-Cart projects/clientele by March 1st 2012.

Going to suggest to clients that they refer to BrandonVD in future (New position, using CS-Cart however managing director)[/quote]

Congratulations Jesse,

I imagine this move is something you are looking forward to! ;)

Welcome back home dude.