Upgrade - local modifications

Working on an upgrade from 2.0.11 to 2.0.12. I ran the upgrade fine on a development server (on a shared managed box), but on my new vps box it is basically saying that all the files in the upgrade have had local modifications. I also had to configure ftp on the new box - seems I possibly don’t have the correct permissions setup on the new box. Has anyone see this? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mark

My guess would be your var/upgrade directory permissions. It the process failed to copy original files before installing, then the compare would be against an empty file and indicate that it was locally modified.

It looks like everything is 777, but I took a look in the error log and see several errors similar to the following:

[Wed Jun 02 14:28:55 2010] [error] [client 204.69.146.61] PHP Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /.../.../.../.../public/shop/lib/Text/Diff/Engine/native.php on line 127, referer: https://.../shop/admin.php?dispatch=upgrade_center.installed_upgrades

This new server is running Ubuntu Lucid with PHP Version 5.3.2-1ubuntu4.2. This version of PHP has been giving me lots of grief…

It might be possible to turn off E_STRICT in PHP so that it will not generate the error. See your php.ini file… Not sure though.

But since it’s generating an error in the compare utility, that would explain why it is seeing all your files as having local modification.

Thanks for all your help, tbirnseth. It appears that turning off E_STRICT only changes how the errors are reported - still getting the same ultimate result. Looks like I need to revert to a prior version… not fun.

Actually, you should get cs-cart to give you another version of the libary they are using. Since PHP 4, all ‘new’ class instantiations are returned by reference. Hence, having a function return a pointer to an object is not necessary and only confuses the compiler.

I.e.:

$x = new stdClass;
$y = $x;
$x->myValue=3
print_r($y);

Should show that $y->myValue also equals 3 even though not explicitly assigned.

I’m surprised they depricated this wihtout doing so in a new major release (I.e. php 6)…