Upgrade from 2.1.2 - 2.1.3 problem

I just did the upgrade step one from 2.1.2 to 2.1.3 and already seem to have a problem. My site: www.willowleafstudio.com seems to have two tops to the page.

I've got a custom skin installed and it looks wrong, but when I switch to the Basic skin it looks okay.

Can anyone suggest where I might look to find the problem. I have a list of “local modifications” in the upgrade centre, and some of them are with my skin, but I don't know which might be causing the issue.

Thanks for any help.

Jodi

Screen shot 2011-07-23 at 10.47.27 AM.png

Screen shot 2011-07-23 at 10.46.25 AM.png

Looks like the header of your custom skin is implemented as main_content.pre.tpl instead of main_content.post.tpl if using a hook. If not, then whomever did your custom skin will have to straighten it out since it appears they might have modified the distributed template top.tpl rather than using a hook.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1311452186' post='118081']

Looks like the header of your custom skin is implemented as main_content.pre.tpl instead of main_content.post.tpl if using a hook. If not, then whomever did your custom skin will have to straighten it out since it appears they might have modified the distributed template top.tpl rather than using a hook.

[/quote]

I'm a bit confused. I thought that my custom template would be untouched by updates to the cs-cart system as a whole. Isn't that the point of having changes made to the custom templates, so that they wouldn't be overridden when the cart files changed? Or am I missing something obvious here. It just seems that when my custom templates are showing changes - to me that means that they were affected specifically by the updates.

For example this file: skins/electronic_orange/customer/top.tpl is showing up in “The following files had local modifications” list. This file is in the folder for the template that I use for my store, but not one that came pre-installed with CS-Cart.

Obviously, I'm still trying to get my head around how this works.

Thanks,

Jodi

Custom templates are still modified when an upgrade is done. How else are the new features and functionality supposed to work?

You can use the My Changes addon and combine it with your custom skin and it greatly reduces the amount of files that need to be changed after an upgrade. You still need to be careful though. Sometimes some of the new functionality is put in one of your hooks, so it's always a good idea to review your code after an upgrade.

Not sure how much help that was, but I hope it was clear enough.

Brandon

If you want a custom skin then don't use any of the standard templates. Any skin that has a path/file that matches and upgraded file will be upgraded. You can get around this by adding a prefix to all the filenames, but if you really don't want the upgrade, why click the button?

[quote name='brandonvd' timestamp='1311483348' post='118101']

Custom templates are still modified when an upgrade is done. How else are the new features and functionality supposed to work?

You can use the My Changes addon and combine it with your custom skin and it greatly reduces the amount of files that need to be changed after an upgrade. You still need to be careful though. Sometimes some of the new functionality is put in one of your hooks, so it's always a good idea to review your code after an upgrade.

Not sure how much help that was, but I hope it was clear enough.

Brandon

[/quote]

Thanks Brandon, that was very helpful. I mistakenly thought that the styling for the site was done by the skin and the function of it was in the core files (those that would be affected by the update). I didn't realize that they would all change. So, if I'm understanding this properly the hooks can still be affected, but are the most likely not to be changed when updates happen.

Of course, understanding this makes no difference to the fact that I have no clue how to fix the problem, and I've been waiting days for help from CS-Cart for the support service that I actually paid for. I was really hoping this was something I could suss out for myself with some pointers in the right direction… oh well. Guess I'll just do as Tony suggests and not press the button.

Brandon, thanks so much for the help.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1311487294' post='118108']

If you want a custom skin then don't use any of the standard templates. Any skin that has a path/file that matches and upgraded file will be upgraded. You can get around this by adding a prefix to all the filenames, but if you really don't want the upgrade, why click the button?

[/quote]

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply.

As I mentioned in response to Brandon's post, I didn't realize that the custom skin files would be changed. I thought they stood “off to the side” as it were, and not as part of the functionality of the site. I have read tons of the help files for this cart, but somehow I'm just NOT getting it.

I appreciate your clarification and think that I'm just going to revert the site back to 2.1.2. At least then I'll have a site that doesn't look like a dogs breakfast.

CS-Cart's support is great and all, but it can take a long time for them to respond, let alone get anything done. There are a lot of us here on the forum that are more than willing to help out. Maybe post some of your problems on here and maybe a link and maybe we can help.

Brandon