upgrade failure 2.2.1 to 2.2.2

The cs cart version installed on my server is 2.2.1.

The upgrade available in the upgrade cener is 2.2.2

When we use the upgrade center to go from 2.2.1 to 2.2.2 the system quickly hangs and we get a blank screen. It appears the upgrade is downloaded. The directory /var/upgrade/upgrade_2.2.1_professional-2.2.2_professional.tgz is created and contains:

.htaccess package/ package_details.php restore.php uc.php uc.sql uc.xml

I don't really know where to go from here. We have opened a support ticket but it is just after 5pm their time and that means a 12 hour waiting period. So I thought I would ask here.

In addtion to this problem, I have another question. I know the most recent version is 2.2.4. It does not show up in the upgrade center on the server, nor do any intermediate upgrades between 2.2.2 and 2.2.4. Our subscription is current through Dec. 2012. and we have the update sever set to http://updates.cs-cart.com. in the past, we always had to step one upgrade at a time to get to the most current, but in the past each upgrade showed up in our upgrade center? Have upgrade procedures changed since the 2.2.1 upgrade?

In our file area on the CS cart website we have the newest version 2.2.4. Is it possible to manually move this .tgz to the upgrade directory and skip directly from 2.2.1 to 2.2.4? If so can someone point me to the knowledge base or forum thread that explains what steps I might face if try to upgrade manually? (I can move the file manually…I want to know what issues I might face if try to do it.)