Upgrade Cost

Update: My upgrade starts tomorrow. Tune in for more.

I am also finding this to be very iritating. I have used many shopping carts in my time and I have never had this much trouble upgrading before. While the store manager software is a good idea it seems to have some real issues.

Update: Upgrade completed. I was sent a link for the front end and back end to test. It worked perfectly. Now they will upload to my server.

I just made a post regarding the store manager, finally got it working after perceveirance !

[quote name=‘roban’]Update: Upgrade completed. I was sent a link for the front end and back end to test. It worked perfectly. Now they will upload to my server.[/QUOTE]

great, that was quick. good to hear

Update: The update by the developers has turned into a disaster. What I approved on their server has not been possible. They have been unable to upload the site to my server saying that my server times out. This is simply not true. They asked for SSH access which I provided. They have as yet been unable to upload the site. I asked them to zip the file and send it to me and I would install it. they did. The file was incomplete to say the least. None of my images were there as well as other files that were missing. I uploaded it anyway and got errors up the whazoo. My site has been off line all day. I asked them to either fix it or refund my payment and I would go back to version 1.3.3 which I had the forsight to back up. Very, very disappointing and infuriating

That is very worrying Roban - did you have many mods installed?

They are upgrading mine on the 20th and im hoping because i have no mods installed that it will be OK.

[quote name=‘roban’]Update: The update by the developers has turned into a disaster. What I approved on their server has not been possible. They have been unable to upload the site to my server saying that my server times out. This is simply not true. They asked for SSH access which I provided. They have as yet been unable to upload the site. I asked them to zip the file and send it to me and I would install it. they did. The file was incomplete to say the least. None of my images were there as well as other files that were missing. I uploaded it anyway and got errors up the whazoo. My site has been off line all day. I asked them to either fix it or refund my payment and I would go back to version 1.3.3 which I had the forsight to back up. Very, very disappointing and infuriating[/QUOTE]

At this point in time how long do you see the site offline for?

Oh no. how horrible. that dosnt sound good. im sorry it turned into a big mess. i guess ill stay at 1.3.3

If I don’t have a reasonable response from them tomorrow I will upload my back up and I’ll be back to version 1.3.3 with all mods. Minus $100.00. They might surprise me and get it fixed. Who knows. More to come in the continuing saga…

This just further demonstrates why it is important that their upgrade tools (Store Manager and, previously, Upgrade Center) work as advertised. There will be many installations which are essentially stock, unmodified installations. The people with these installations are also likely new to shopping carts and will defer to the developers to assure a successful outcome for their upgrades. Unfortunately, these installations will only steal time away from the more complex upgrades that truly demand the developers’ involvement.

Bob

Well after doing most of the work myself my site is finally back online after 2 days. I lost a couple of mods and there are a few other glitches but my site is now upgraded. (I think). It was not worth the $100.00 IMHO. I could have screwed up as easily as the developer did without paying good money for it.

Good luck to others who are having the job done for them. I pray your experience is better than mine was.

Roban… I wouldn’t be too happy yet… I just tried clicking on the link on your signature ([url]http://www.vitaminlink.net/[/url]) and all I got was a directory listing… not sure what the issue is but I thought I’d let you know…

Apache/1.3.37 Server at www.vitaminlink.net Port 80

just went to your site and it works fine. maby the glitch is gone

No problem here with seeing your site Roban although it was quite slow to load and im glad you got it sorted out. Personally i would deman a refund as you have essentially paid for something that you have not received:mad:

They are upgrading mine on the 20th but i dont have any mods so im keeping my fingers crossed. If they mess it up though then i will expect to be refunded the upgrade fee.

Okay… just checked again and it seemed to work fine… don’t know if you fixed something or it was a temporary “issue”.

Phew! You had me going there for a moment.

[quote name=‘willow1872’]No problem here with seeing your site Roban although it was quite slow to load and im glad you got it sorted out. Personally i would deman a refund as you have essentially paid for something that you have not received:mad:

They are upgrading mine on the 20th but i dont have any mods so im keeping my fingers crossed. If they mess it up though then i will expect to be refunded the upgrade fee.[/QUOTE]

The copy that they had on their server was fine and they did that in a good timely fashion. It was the upload to my server that went completely wrong. I don’t know if it was a question of the server translation or what. Even when I had uploaded the site to my server they still had the config.php with their database info and paths. I thought it was a sloppy finish.

There seems to be a lesson to be learnt here !

Even if CS are doing the upgrade for you, its even more important to make sure your whole system is backed up !

Files, Database… the lot !

Im sure before reading this I would have trusted the cs-team and probably not worried about backing up stupidly thinking I wouldnt need to !

Ive just spent 2 days modding my store… time for a backup !

Roban, Sorry to hear it didnt go as planned, all seems ok now, im sure that your entitled to a refund as they did not deliver as per their agreement before starting the upgrade process.

Have you had any recourse from the developers yet Roban?