Upgrade Cost

I just received an estimate from the CS Cart team of $100.00 to upgrade my store to 1.3.4 sp1 and I am inclined to take them up on it.

Do you think this is a fair price. I’m assuming it would take me 2 to 3 hours to re-do everything. I have version 1.3.4 installed in another directory with the catalog already imported so it’s a question of redoing articles, news, pages, etc.

Before I decide I’d like to get some feed back.

for me, i will have them upgrade after the holidays. i am afraid i would totally mess it up and i dont have the time to spend ( like most of us) to try to fix it. reading these posts about others upgrading problems is making me nervouse. so for me the money is well worth the peace of mind.

I agree with you. I have asked them for assurance that the upgraded site will have all the modifications, options, etc that the original has. If I can get that assurance, I will go for it.

i would go over and get them to write down (easy since its all emails) exactly what they will be doing and make sure its exactly what you want, and the store will look and function just as you want it.

[quote name=‘zoom4267’]i would go over and get them to write down (easy since its all emails) exactly what they will be doing and make sure its exactly what you want, and the store will look and function just as you want it.[/QUOTE]

They have pretty much done that. They will put the new upgraded store on a test server where I can put it through its paces. When I have approved the work it will be uploaded to my server. I am gonna do it!

thats sounds like a great plan that they will do it that way. keep us posted because i want them to upgrade for me too.

so wil your current store be running while you test the new one? or will it have to be down for that time

They test on their own servers, and give you access to test the new version of your store.

your live site is NOT down during this testing period.

once you agree the test site is good and allyour changes are complete, they will then close your store, move the new store over and put it back online.

It should only be down for a short time.

Yes my store will be running until I approve the upgrade, then it will be off-line for 3-4 hours while they do the upload to my server.

I’ll keep the forum informed of the progress. They have to send me an invoice first, I’ll pay it then in about a week they will start the upgrade. The whole process should take approximately 2 weeks.

that sounds great. thanks for the info guys

Update on my upgrade. I finally got the invoice this morning and paid the $100.00. I am told that they will start the upgrade in 10 days and it will take 4 to 5 days to do.

My opinion of the developers is that they move ve-r-r-r-r-y slowly. I hope it’s with deliberation as well.

More to come.

that is slow. but who knows, with the release out and the problems people are having they may be backed up

[quote name=‘zoom4267’]that is slow. but who knows, with the release out and the problems people are having they may be backed up[/quote]

Hardly any incentive to fix the problem if they’re backed up 10 days. They’re making too much on paid upgrades. :wink:

MikeK

My feeling is that 1.3.3 works just fine so I’m losing nothing by waiting. If it is done correctly it is worth the money and time.

[quote name=‘roban’]My feeling is that 1.3.3 works just fine so I’m losing nothing by waiting. If it is done correctly it is worth the money and time.[/QUOTE]

agree. the cart is great as is. it is worth the wait not loosing any business.

sorry wrong thread.

It’s nice to hear such a great report on the upgrade team.

Theyve quoted me $125 for the upgrade. I dont have any mods other than a couple of image changes. Im a bit anoyed really because one of main reasons for moving to CS from CubeCart was being able to upgrade at the click of the link in Admin. As it seems that is no longer working (from the forum posts), it seems i dont have a great deal of choice while it does seem that they sold/are selling software that is effectively broken.

I am still considering offering CS as an option to our hosting clients but customer service like this isnt a great incentive.:frowning:

[quote name=‘willow1872’]Theyve quoted me $125 for the upgrade. I dont have any mods other than a couple of image changes. Im a bit anoyed really because one of main reasons for moving to CS from CubeCart was being able to upgrade at the click of the link in Admin. As it seems that is no longer working (from the forum posts), it seems i dont have a great deal of choice while it does seem that they sold/are selling software that is effectively broken.

I am still considering offering CS as an option to our hosting clients but customer service like this isnt a great incentive.:([/quote] I agree. This situation is deeply concerning. Even with the latest updates it still seems like it’s not possible to upgrade without problems. What’s even more concerning is that the only information from CS-C was a post from Zeke saying he isn’t having any of the problems everyone else is having. That’s not the news I want to hear. It seems like CS-C is moving farther and farther away from openly communicating with its customers. There is a mess right now and I sure would like a definitive answer about how they’re going to fix it, and a reasonable estimate as to when it will be done.

Please CS-C, let us know what’s going on. Things are bad enough right now that I wouldn’t offer the cart to our clients.

Thanks,

MikeK

I think that a little patience here will go a long way. To upgrade a script like this is very complicated as I am sure willow knows from Cube Cart days. Even that script which is a lot simpler than this one has its major problems when it comes to upgrading and the only support was from the moderating team.

I would wait and see what comes from the developers before getting your knickers in a twist. Add to the problems of coding a solution that will work for everyone, the server side problems that vary greatly from host to host and you have one mighty big job. This cart beats the competition hands down IMHO and it’s worth becoming a part of the solution.

Just my 2 cents.

Theres no doubt that CS is a far superior product than most and over all i couldn’t be happier. It does nark me though that i should have to pay a similar amount to what i paid for the original license to upgrade it when we original purchased CS on the understanding that we could upgrade it without any problems through the Admin - Obviously discounting any mods :wink:

[quote name=‘roban’]I think that a little patience here will go a long way. To upgrade a script like this is very complicated as I am sure willow knows from Cube Cart days. Even that script which is a lot simpler than this one has its major problems when it comes to upgrading and the only support was from the moderating team.

I would wait and see what comes from the developers before getting your knickers in a twist. Add to the problems of coding a solution that will work for everyone, the server side problems that vary greatly from host to host and you have one mighty big job. This cart beats the competition hands down IMHO and it’s worth becoming a part of the solution.

Just my 2 cents.[/quote]