Tony B/EZ Merchant - Your Site/Server is down

Hi Tony, my site has had fatal errors on the admin side all day today and I sent you some emails with the errors which have bounced. Just now I go to your site and it is down, just letting you know, in case you are not aware. P.S. Concerned that your site going down gives mine fatal errors checking add-ons, is there a better way to handle this?

Can only assume that whomever services your DNS does not honor the TTL setting for my site addresses (it is 3600 which is one hour and was finalized after a bit of a fiasco on Friday evening). The site has been back up since Friday evening. I just checked from 2 sources and get there for each. I also just checked from 2 client sites by logging into my admin accounts and they are being serviced just fine.

As stated in your other post, I apologize for any inconvenience related to longer login times for admin during my outage. The timeout is set to 15 seconds so your login (when licenses are checked) might have taken a little longer than normal. But, there are no other effects after the login process completes.

Maybe the recent caching work you've done is caching the bad addresses past the time when they should be?

Tony, your site is note resolving for me either, here in Indiana. When I click the link in your signature I just get a “site unavailable” message from OpenDNS. Weird. This is not a complaint…just for your information.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1367196463' post='160907']

Can only assume that whomever services your DNS does not honor the TTL setting for my site addresses (it is 3600 which is one hour and was finalized after a bit of a fiasco on Friday evening). The site has been back up since Friday evening. I just checked from 2 sources and get there for each. I also just checked from 2 client sites by logging into my admin accounts and they are being serviced just fine.

As stated in your other post, I apologize for any inconvenience related to longer login times for admin during my outage. The timeout is set to 15 seconds so your login (when licenses are checked) might have taken a little longer than normal. But, there are no other effects after the login process completes.

Maybe the recent caching work you've done is caching the bad addresses past the time when they should be?

[/quote]

Not really sure, but I have tried from a few different ISP and cannot get to your site, and your e-mail bounces. I would appreciate if you could look at this tomorrow when it is not Sunday and help me so I don't have this problem with my admin side, I am getting fatal errors every other time I log in.

Thank you sir.

Edit: Given you are not able to send me email, it problaby isn't your browser but is more related to your DNS services. I am getting email (and have been since Friday night) and I got email notification of your post.

I can only guess that your ISP has it's own caching policy related to DNS addresses and ignores the TTL set by the nameserver providing the new address. Additionally, you might try flushing your PC's dns cache by executing the following from a command prompt (don't know the equivalent for a MAC):

ipconfig /flushdns

Many browsers do their own caching of DNS entries. Unfortunately, they seem to ignore the TTL set in DNS (1hr for my addresses right now).

I believe that if you close your browser and re-open it, that it will flush the internal DNS cache and fetch the right addresess.

I can only tell you that any 3rd party DNS checking tool I've tried finds the correct IP addresses for my sites.

There should be NO fatal errors from this issue. It simply results in a connection timeout and means there's a 15 second delay in admin login time. The message is an “error message” (displayed in red) but it is certainly not “fatal”. I.e. you should proceed to your admin panel properly. A fatal message would mean you'd end up at a white screen with probably NO indication of a fatal error since by default, “display_errors” is suppressed by cs-cart.

From a command prompt, try the following line:

nslookup ezupgrade.ez-ms.com.

It should resolve to an address that ends in 117.

root@ezms3 [~]# dig ezupgrade.ez-ms.com.

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-20.P1.el5_8.4 <<>> ezupgrade.ez-ms.com.
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 55401
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ezupgrade.ez-ms.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ezupgrade.ez-ms.com. 11133 IN A 198.20.229.117

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
ez-ms.com. 83133 IN NS ns5.ez-merchant-hosting.com.
ez-ms.com. 83133 IN NS ns4.ez-merchant-hosting.com.

;; Query time: 9 msec
;; SERVER: 207.218.192.39#53(207.218.192.39)
;; WHEN: Sun Apr 28 19:33:47 2013
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 109

[quote name='jhagg' timestamp='1367177967' post='160893']

Hi Tony, my site has had fatal errors on the admin side all day today and I sent you some emails with the errors which have bounced. Just now I go to your site and it is down, just letting you know, in case you are not aware. P.S. Concerned that your site going down gives mine fatal errors checking add-ons, is there a better way to handle this?

[/quote]

I got errors too checking add-ons but this did not cause any problems, just a message after which my admin worked just fine. What do you mean by fatal errors?

Seems that some DNS servers have not updated the nameservers for my sites to their new addresses (I.e. ns4.ez-merchant-hosting.com which is the nameserver for ez-ms.com).

The Google servers and root name servers have it right. Secondary (non-authoritative servers are hit and miss). I have no idea why they have not updated since the last change was Friday night.

Unfortunately, this is out of my control at this point and up to the world of DNS. All I can say is that the addresses at the registry are correct and that most nameservers have it correct. But some are still returning the old address which causes a timeout.

Again, my apologies for the inconvenience.

I am not getting to your website either when using FF, EI, Opera, chrome.

Friday, I had this problem. but it went away. Now Monday morning the same thing. It's not a fatal error just a red box error. I am unable to open your website either. I have our internet through att dsl (saint Louis). wonder if the others having trouble are using this same service. As another test I tried from my phone (verizon) with wi-fi turned off. I can not open your site there from the phone.

Sounds like something is a little wonky out there.

Thanks

ps. just tried some web site speed checker and checking from different location, i got different results. some show site is up other show it can not connect.

Dulles,va - up

kansas city,MO - down

chicago, il - up

Los Angeles, CA - down

Must be just slow DNS propagation and some problems with DNS caches. I tried from a different location this morning and the site is coming up.

Yep, I'm stumped. I look via various nameservers and most have it all correct and some are still returning the old nameserver IP addresses. I can only ask for patience and wait for this to propagate.

Nice gift from hosting company. I've asked them to re-instate a router alias for my old addresses to the new until the nameservers all update properly. Still waiting because they are overwhelmed from their original migration problem that caused me to update the nameserers twice.

Appreciate everyone's patience. As stated, there is no functional problem in operation. Only a short delay in admin login time and then the error notification boxes. But after that, all works as normal.

https://www.ez-ms.com/ working now.

Ya!! it's working in the midwest with att. I've had the same sort of problem with A2 Hosting were DNS propagation took several days.

Dave

Working now