Tinymce editor sucks

I’ve known this for awhile that the tinymce editor sucks bigtime but it wasn’t until I actually had time to reduce the amount of unnecessary code created by the tinymce editor. Just in one of my product descriptions the tinymce editor created over 100+ lines of unnecessary redundant code. I now use frontpage as my html editor and just paste the html over into cs and this alone reduced the page code by 100+ lines.

Get rid of the tinymce editor, it is a pile of junk and does nothing more then create an enormous amount of useless code bloat which slows down page loads, find something better - Sno

Any ideas of what to do if someone has already added 2,000+ descriptions through the editor?:confused:

Stu

[quote name=‘derbytown502’]Any ideas of what to do if someone has already added 2,000+ descriptions through the editor?:confused:

Stu[/QUOTE]

Nothing unless you have a lot of useless code.

This is nothing new, it’s always been this way. What I would suggest is that you enter your description in the source window then only use the editor for making paragraphs, bullets, etc… If you use the editor for entering the description then you will have useless code such as " " when you space.

[quote name=‘Tool Outfitters’]If you use the editor for entering the description then you will have useless code such as " " when you space.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, their’s no purpose in using it when it bloats the page code.

[quote name=‘derbytown502’]Any ideas of what to do if someone has already added 2,000+ descriptions through the editor?[/QUOTE]

Nope, it’s too late. However to see what I’m saying try this with 1 product. First view the page source and see how many lines of code exist. Then copy/paste (do not copy the html code) your description text (copy from customer side) into a real html editor like frontpage/expressions and copy/paste that into the description field, save and look at the page source. I bet it will be anywhere from 50-100+ less lines of redundant html code.

I’ve since disabled the html editor and have coded a mini bb style editor that using predefined css styles, this is something that cs should use, I’ll post screenshots of it after I add in a few more features - Sno

Ohhhhh, so much more learning I have! :mad:

This thread belongs in the Wishlist & Feature Request subforum.

Bob

moved, however I really needed a complaint and wishlist forum…lol

Thanks, sno.

I always read “Wishlist and Feature Requests” as “our polite complaints”. :wink:

I’d just like to see the Labs forum stay focused on its purpose of reviewing the development version features and reporting of bugs. Any chance you can move the two other threads that also belong here?

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=16985[/url]

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=14761[/url]

Bob

I can tell you I work with real CMS’s such as Interwoven Teamsite and EMC’s Documentum and their editors behave the same way. Documentum out of the box uses Ephox which we removed because it sucked so bad. We then deployed a new editor front end that used the FCK editor which while not as bad as Ephox still add’s extra tags. The bottom line is if you plan on using the design mode of any editor be prepared to deal with extra tags.

[quote name=‘whiplash13’] We them deployed a new editor front end that used the FCK editor.[/quote]

Ironically, the last time I checked Sno *****ed about the FCK editor that existed in 1.3.5spx so it got replaced with TinyMCE…

LOL! I think I liked the FCK editor better!:stuck_out_tongue:

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Ironically, the last time I checked Sno *****ed about the FCK editor that existed in 1.3.5spx so it got replaced with TinyMCE…[/QUOTE]

I just got finished with my mini bb editor, it’s rocking pretty good right now, have no idea why it took me this long to code it. I’ll be spending the weekend cleaning up some serious code bloat with my new super cool mod

[quote name=‘jobosales’]Any chance you can move the two other threads that also belong here?

Bob[/QUOTE]

Done - Sno

You can vote for this idea in the Ideas forum: [url]http://cscart.uservoice.com/forums/40782-general/suggestions/701428-replace-tinymce-code-editor[/url]

Bob