The Cs-Cart Boilerplate Theme For Developers: Minimum Of Code, Maximum Of Flexibility

Why to set new theme to default without massive testing? ?? We had headaches with responsive theme and finally responsive can be used for production.

Because it's not intended to be part of the production product. It is intended to be used by developers as a basis for a custom theme.

Are you going to start distributing other development tools with the product (outside the debugger)? Like addon builders that automatically adopt to your addon upgrade stuff (no one uses it because no one understands what they need to do).

Just trying to keep product with product and development with development. They are separate needs.

Way too much attention/time being spent on this. I was just suggesting that you might want to start to keep development tools separate from the production package.

any sample or demo link with this theme working in the cscart frontend?

demo?

any sample or demo link with this theme working in the cscart frontend?

demo?

Guys, no demo. I'm not sure why do you need it?
If you are going to develop new theme than boilerplate is 100% what you need.

Can you let me know why would you like to see the demo, I mean whether you are interested as a developer or as a store owner?

Does this theme use LESSPHP that is in CS Cart by default or does it include LESS CSS in itself as well?

I ask because the LESSPHP package included in CS Cart 3 uses LESSPHP 0.4.0 which is quite an old version.

Does this theme use LESSPHP that is in CS Cart by default or does it include LESS CSS in itself as well?

I ask because the LESSPHP package included in CS Cart 3 uses LESSPHP 0.4.0 which is quite an old version.

The theme uses LESSPHP that is in CS-Cart by default.

It would be really nice if cs-cart boilertplate would come as a part of a dev build system such as yoeman or gulp. Then the devs would have unlimited options e.g. replacing lessphp with gulp-less or even replacing less with scss. Additionally, you could tak advantage of other plugins such as less sourcemaps, minify css, vendor prefixes etc.

The theme uses LESSPHP that is in CS-Cart by default.

Ah, hopefully LESS will be supported natively in future CS Cart core releases then because LESSPHP is very outdated.

The most recent version it seems to support is =< 1.4.2. LESSPHP It was last updated in August 2013.

A lot of things, one in particular like CSS Guards are great but cannot be used which is a really annoying.

Guys, no demo. I'm not sure why do you need it?
If you are going to develop new theme than boilerplate is 100% what you need.

Because you are distributing it with the product so they expect it to work as part of the product. You just made my points above.

Might also remind them that it is for theme development (presentation layer), not necessarily functionality changes (which would generally be handled at a higher layer).

After taking a look at this, I think it this is a great idea - including open sourcing it on GitHub.

However, it still needs work - it is not ready for production. I have already posted one fairly basic bug which did not take long to find.

However, before I spend any more time on it, I would like to see more commitment from CSCart. The best test, and the ultimate commitment would be to port the standard Responsive theme to be based on Boilerplate. CSCart should be confident enough and committed enough to do that. If they do not commit to Boilerplate, why would anyone else?

After taking a look at this, I think it this is a great idea - including open sourcing it on GitHub.

However, it still needs work - it is not ready for production. I have already posted one fairly basic bug which did not take long to find.

However, before I spend any more time on it, I would like to see more commitment from CSCart. The best test, and the ultimate commitment would be to port the standard Responsive theme to be based on Boilerplate. CSCart should be confident enough and committed enough to do that. If they do not commit to Boilerplate, why would anyone else?

I agree with this.

"Responsive" should be ported over to use the "Boilerplate" theme as I imagine many already use the Responsive theme as a base for custom themes anyway so it doesn't make sense to have two base themes.

Again, I agree that it needs more work as well. It's great for a start but CS Cart should commit more time to making sure Boilerplate could at least be used as a standard theme for a cart. Too many issues even consider using for a base just yet.

Thank you for the feedback.

It's quite fair what you said.

We are actively working on it and I hope within 2-4 weeks it will be good enough for production.

"Responsive" should be ported over to use the "Boilerplate" theme as I imagine many already use the Responsive theme as a base for custom themes anyway so it doesn't make sense to have two base themes.

This could happen in future but not right now. Responsive theme can not be just ported - it's more like a building a new default theme. And changing the basic theme to responsive showed us that this is a real pain for users and developers.

Responsive theme can not be just ported - it's more like a building a new default theme. And changing the basic theme to responsive showed us that this is a real pain for users and developers.

I understand that you do not want to risk breaking the default Responsive theme.

I suggest that CSCart should create a new standard theme based on Boilerplate. Then you would have 3 standard themes, Basic, Responsive and a new responsive theme based on Boilerplate.

The new standard theme would serve two useful purposes:

1. * It would prove that Boilerplate is a practical base for creating new themes.
  2. * It would provide a useful, real life demo to other theme developers how Boilerplate can be used as a base for new themes

From a design point of view, the new responsive theme could look similar to the standard responsive theme. In future it might be possible to make the new theme the default theme and slowly phase out the old Responsive theme.

I think Boilerplate is a very good idea. But I will probably not commit any more of my time to Boilerplate until I see this level of commitment from CSCart.

I understand that you do not want to risk breaking the default Responsive theme.

I suggest that CSCart should create a new standard theme based on Boilerplate. Then you would have 3 standard themes, Basic, Responsive and a new responsive theme based on Boilerplate.

The new standard theme would serve two useful purposes:

1. * It would prove that Boilerplate is a practical base for creating new themes.
  2. * It would provide a useful, real life demo to other theme developers how Boilerplate can be used as a base for new themes

From a design point of view, the new responsive theme could look similar to the standard responsive theme. In future it might be possible to make the new theme the default theme and slowly phase out the old Responsive theme.

I think Boilerplate is a very good idea. But I will probably not commit any more of my time to Boilerplate until I see this level of commitment from CSCart.

camerojo, thank you.

Your idea is one of the most possible scenarios.

But the plan for the nearest 2 months is make sure Boilerplate is needful and useful.

I just want to say I love the new Cs-Cart Boilerplate Theme

GREAT job guys! 8)

Me too. Can't wait till you get rid of jquery UI and refactor js. Then it will be perfect :-)

https://github.com/cscart/cscart-boilerplate/issues/25 (Fixed)

Thanks guys, this is awesome news. We've been waiting for this. Cant wait to rip into it.

-Skyler

TruSky.com