Template Hook - At a loss

I have read all the posts. I finally have been able to get a code hook to work. Now I am trying to get a template hook to work. Nothing is happening!!! HELP!!! :idea:

I want to change the way the total shipping charges are displayed on checkout. So as best I can determine the module that normally displays the total shipping amount is in checkout_totals.tpl. I am using the basic template so this file is located in “…\skins\basic\customer\views\checkout\components”.

In reviewing this module I found the code group:

<br />
{hook name="checkout:checkout_totals"}<br />
			{if $cart.shipping_required == true && $shipping_rates && ($location != "cart" || $settings.General.estimate_shipping_cost == "Y")}<br />
			<li><br />
				<span>{$lang.shipping_cost}:</span><br />
				<strong>{include file="common_templates/price.tpl" value=$cart.display_shipping_cost}</strong><br />
			</li><br />
			{/if}<br />
		{/hook}<br />

```<br />
<br />
So I need to override "checkout:checkout_totals".<br />
<br />
I went to "....\skins\basic\customer\addons" and discovered there is not a "my_changes" directory.  So I created one.  Under that I created a "hooks" directory.    According to what I have read I need to create a "checkout" directory in the hooks directory.  So now I have "....\skins\basic\customer\addons\my_changes\hooks\checkout".<br />
<br />
I created a file in this directory called "checkout_totals.override.tpl".  Just for grins to prove I had this working all I put in the override file for now is:<br />
<br />
```php
<br />
<p><br />
*********************checkout_totals.override.tpl**************************<br />
<p><br />

```<br />
<br />
I moved it out to the server and gave it a try.  Nadda.  Nothing changed.<br />
<br />
Please tell me what I missed.<br />
<br />
BTW.. I do have My_Changes active.