SSL Domain Question

Can I use a different domain for the SSL checkout than the actual store?

Example: I have store1.com,store2.com,store3.com. I would like to be able to use

the same SSL Domain for checkout for all of them such as sslcheckoutforstores.com.

Is this possible?

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you'd need a UCC SSL cert to do that. You can get them from GoDaddy for like $90 for 5 domains. I have one and it works great on my sites.

Thanks,

Brandon

[quote name='brandonvd' timestamp='1316204170' post='121799']

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you'd need a UCC SSL cert to do that. You can get them from GoDaddy for like $90 for 5 domains. I have one and it works great on my sites.

Thanks,

Brandon

[/quote]

Brandon,

Are you using one SSL Domain for checkout for multiple stores? If so how did you accomplish this? Did you install one copy of CS-Cart for the storefront, and another copy in the folder for the SSL? I'm unclear how to do this. I would like to be able to use sslcheckout.com like for the checkout of multiple stores so each store wouldn't need its own ip address but i have to see any instruction on how to do this.

It would take some rather invasive customization to use one domain for checkout only; and have orders show up on the originating domain and have inventory debited/credited on the originating domain and the user being returned to the originating domain.

Just curious why you want to change the domain during checkout? If I were a customer and found myself on a different site for checkout (an not being a well known like paypal, google, etc.), I'd be pretty uncomfortable… Now, if I were purchasing from mydomain.com and I was redirected to securecheckout.mydomain.com I wouldn't care. But having it be a completely different domain would make me think fraud.

Why do you want a separate IP for each store? What requirement is driving you to that?

Why don't you just use the same payment provider/gateway on all your different stores by using the same account/login info (unless your gateway/provider has a restriction on this type of usage).

A wildcard ssl certificate is only good where the root-domain is common. I.e. store1.mydomain.com, store2.mydomain.com, securecheckout.mydomain.com or mydomain.com… IP has nothing to do with most SSL certificates now days, but some older browsers (like IE6) are not prepared to handle 'name based ssl'.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1322092561' post='126663']

It would take some rather invasive customization to use one domain for checkout only; and have orders show up on the originating domain and have inventory debited/credited on the originating domain and the user being returned to the originating domain.

Just curious why you want to change the domain during checkout? If I were a customer and found myself on a different site for checkout (an not being a well known like paypal, google, etc.), I'd be pretty uncomfortable… Now, if I were purchasing from mydomain.com and I was redirected to securecheckout.mydomain.com I wouldn't care. But having it be a completely different domain would make me think fraud.

Why do you want a separate IP for each store? What requirement is driving you to that?

Why don't you just use the same payment provider/gateway on all your different stores by using the same account/login info (unless your gateway/provider has a restriction on this type of usage).

A wildcard ssl certificate is only good where the root-domain is common. I.e. store1.mydomain.com, store2.mydomain.com, securecheckout.mydomain.com or mydomain.com… IP has nothing to do with most SSL certificates now days, but some older browsers (like IE6) are not prepared to handle 'name based ssl'.

[/quote]

Good point. Maybe I'll just work out checkout on each domain. Our current syste works like that

also sends the user from oursite.com to shoppingcart.com to checkout. Its been the way it

always was the boss just wanted things to stay the same but good point different

domain to checkout could be a concern to some customers.