Speed Issue

Hi everyone, I have 2 stores running on a reseller package unilet.net on CS-CART 2.2.4 and custom-cable.co.uk running 3.0.5. Unilet is VERY fast and Custom-Cable is VERY slow and Custom Cable keeps using 100% CPU usage! EP's spike and I hit “Resource Limit Reached” countless times. You can see from the speed of the two sites there is a massive difference and I would like custom-cable as fast as unilet.net but i'm finding it impossible. Custom Cable has about 3 times the product that Unilet does.

I have disabled statistics on Custom-Cable and I have gZipped and optimised massively. I note we are running on suPHP as when setting the config.local file to 128MB not enough cache can be allocated and it gives suPHP errors.

The CPU cycle is never less than 16% and it's driving me nuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated as not sure how many customers get fed up of the wait whilst the page loads.

Thank you.

[quote name='AmitP' timestamp='1363440720' post='157898']

Hi everyone, I have 2 stores running on a reseller package unilet.net on CS-CART 2.2.4 and custom-cable.co.uk running 3.0.5. Unilet is VERY fast and Custom-Cable is VERY slow and Custom Cable keeps using 100% CPU usage! EP's spike and I hit “Resource Limit Reached” countless times. You can see from the speed of the two sites there is a massive difference and I would like custom-cable as fast as unilet.net but i'm finding it impossible. Custom Cable has about 3 times the product that Unilet does.

I have disabled statistics on Custom-Cable and I have gZipped and optimised massively. I note we are running on suPHP as when setting the config.local file to 128MB not enough cache can be allocated and it gives suPHP errors.

The CPU cycle is never less than 16% and it's driving me nuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated as not sure how many customers get fed up of the wait whilst the page loads.

Thank you.

[/quote]There are many things to be done on the Apache/PHP/MySQL server configuration level to get the site running quickly and you won't get access to this files/features on a reseller server. You have to go with a VPS with 2 GB RAM or more and enough CPU resources. Also I would recommend XEN based virtualization platform as the resources (RAM, etc) are fully dedicated and private.

Hello AmitP,

Although it goes against most everything mentioned in the past, for 3.0.5 & later versions, I highly suggest that you try changing your cache method to “Files”, clear your cache, then give it time to fully re-build and see how it performs.

Cs-Cart made some serious improvements to the files cache method in recent versions!

So a VPS is ideal then for this sized store? Thank you Struck, I am currently using file! After a period its quick but then once its fully built into the cache that's when the CPU starts to really spike! I cleared the cache and the CPU is back down to just 33% where it lingers until it then starts hitting 100% again and I have to clear the cache. I have heard about XEN optimisation and heard of its merits! Would I really require 2GB of memory?

Does anyone have any links to large CS-Cart stores that run very fast?

I went to VPS and it made a great deal of difference. The small amount in extra monthly is easily outweighed by the conversions and Google seeing you as a porsche instead of a VW.

Your site speed isnt too bad for me here in UK but Id still reccomed VPS to anyone using CS that can afford it and wants to be considered serious.

I think having lots of filters also has a great effect.

John

Hi Amit,

I think I know you. You had an account with us, don't you? Many things have been changed in our DC, if you want to try a XEN with 7 days money back guarantee we would be able to make an offer for you of:

CPU 16 Core Xeon Shared

Guaranteed Ram 2048 MB (2GB)

Raid-10 Diskspace 80 GB

Bandwidth 2000 GB

Uplink Port 100Mbps

for only EUR 59.00/month

As I said, the configuration is the most important thing, not just the “box”.

Regards,

John

Just for your information. This is the utilization from today of a VPS with 50 accounts on it with dynamic content:

03:20:01 PM CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle

03:30:01 PM all 0.03 0.26 0.04 0.03 0.00 99.63

03:40:01 PM all 0.05 0.25 0.05 0.02 0.00 99.62

03:50:01 PM all 0.05 0.95 0.09 0.06 0.00 98.84

04:00:01 PM all 0.03 0.27 0.04 0.03 0.00 99.63

04:10:01 PM all 0.04 0.34 0.05 0.09 0.00 99.47

04:20:01 PM all 0.05 0.30 0.05 0.03 0.00 99.57

04:30:01 PM all 0.03 0.19 0.03 0.07 0.00 99.68

04:40:02 PM all 0.03 0.24 0.06 0.66 0.00 99.02

04:50:01 PM all 0.05 0.26 0.06 0.23 0.00 99.40

Average: all 0.03 0.14 0.03 65.81 0.00 33.99

RAM usage at the moment:

Mem: 2639872k total, 2353824k used, 286048k free, 0k buffers

Swap: 2097152k total, 116168k used, 1980984k free, 1634556k cached

Thank you Johnbol, your site is impressive and initial page load is VERY quick. My TTFB is a joke.

Thank you John, I will consider the offer, what are your uptime stats for the UK VPS servers? does Indy still work for you?

I know Martfox have been bashed here and I stuck with them when there were issues, even though I tried other providers. Martfox changed their servers and got to be honest I was flying along after they did this on the V2. I have just upgraded and still working on V3 but added lots of filters to new site and is a bit slower but I am putting the slowdown on the new site to the extra filters etc, BUT I would recommend taking up the offer of the trial as I havent had a problem with them since they changed.

I would still like a little more out of it If I can to get it back to what the V2 site was like but will be looking at that this week.

You have a GREAT design there Amit , get the speed goin and your done.

John

OH 1 thing… I cant compress all content as I use the product designer and this wont work with all content Gzipped so this has a slow effect. I imagine yours will race past mine with GZIp enabled.

Ideally i'd like the add to cart button to respond much faster too! When selecting add to cart the bars at the top go through 3-4 revolutions before the popup appears! In CSCart 2 it was pretty much instantaneous! This will really put me off purchasing tbh. Makes me feel that attention hasnt been paid to the store speed at all.

Hello all,

Thank you for your messages.

I would like to inform you that we have some fixes which could help you improve the performance of your stores (in some cases it is increased significantly). There are a lot of code changes, and it will be inconvenient to post it here. So feel free to contact us via Customer Help Desk. Our technical support engineers will be glad to provide you with these fixes or apply them for you if you wish.

Please note that these fixes are applicable only to CS-Cart version 3.0.x and they resolve problems with the page load speed and high CPU loading.

Thank you.

Pavel Zyukin

CS-Cart Support team