Sorting products by the date they were added

Is there a way to show the products in the catalog by the date they were added? I know I can do this with Listmania but would like to have it for all my catalog.

Thanks

Hello,

[quote name=‘lander16’]Is there a way to show the products in the catalog by the date they were added? I know I can do this with Listmania but would like to have it for all my catalog.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

If you click on the “Default” link the products will be sorted by position and if all positions are the same by date of creating.

You can change the position using the following instruction.

Open the “Manage categories” page(the link to this page is in the “Catalog” sidebox on the left of your administrator back-end). Then click on the amount of the products link in the row of the desired category. On the opened page you will be able to define position of your products for this selected category.

Please note, that the defined positions affect the sorting only if “Default” sorting is selected in the “Sort by” section on product list page in the front-end.

Hi,

Thanks, that sort them by the date they were created but puts the newest products at the end, is there a way to reverse the sorting so the new products always show first?

Thanks

[quote name=‘lander16’]Hi,

Thanks, that sort them by the date they were created but puts the newest products at the end, is there a way to reverse the sorting so the new products always show first?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

In this case you need to replace the following part of code:

if (empty($sort_order) || empty($directions[$sort_order])) {
$sort_order = 'asc';
}

with this one:

if (empty($sort_order) || empty($directions[$sort_order])) {
$sort_order = 'desc';
}

in the “/include/common/search_products.php” file.

This does not work and has nothing to do with date added. It would work only if in admin / catalog / manage products you add a number in position section 1,2,3… and so on… Timestamp is used to sort by adding date.

There is one problem I’ve discovered, when used clone tool, date is also cloned, why?

[quote name=‘forward’]Hello,

If you click on the “Default” link the products will be sorted by position and if all positions are the same by date of creating.

You can change the position using the following instruction.

Open the “Manage categories” page(the link to this page is in the “Catalog” sidebox on the left of your administrator back-end). Then click on the amount of the products link in the row of the desired category. On the opened page you will be able to define position of your products for this selected category.

Please note, that the defined positions affect the sorting only if “Default” sorting is selected in the “Sort by” section on product list page in the front-end.[/QUOTE]