Solution for categories not being indexed or ranked poorly?

I’m no expert but I was trying out a bunch of things and came across this tool:

[url]http://www.seocentro.com/tools/search-engines/metatag-analyzer.html[/url]

I put in the URL for one of my categories and came out in pretty big red that I had like 190 URLs on the page and that Google doesn’t like it when you have more than 100. So I looked at the list and noticed that my top menu accounted for like 60 of those but no one really used it (everyone used my side menu) so I removed it.

The other thing I noticed is that every product has 3 links: the product title, the image and the “Select Options”. I figure that if someone is interested in a product, they’ll click the product name and that 3 links aren’t necessary. It’s either “Select Options” or “Add to Cart” that shows up but it’s very rare that someone will add a product to cart without looking at the description so either way I don’t think it’s necessary.

To remove “Select Options” or “Add to Cart”:

-customer/views/categories/common_templates/products_multicolumns.tpl (might be 2 or 3 depending on which template you use.

-For “show_add_to_cart=$_show_add_to_cart|default:” change it to false.

To remove link from thumbnail pictures:

To remove “Select Options” or “Add to Cart”:

-customer/blocks/list_templates/grid_list.tpl (or whichever you are using).

-Backup the file if you think you will want to add that link again at some point.

-Find “”. In the next like you will see
-Remove all that as well as the at the end of the line.

I don’t know if this will have an impact or not, I’ll find out in a couple of weeks.

Any thoughts?

One of the biggest reasons category pages do not rank highly in comparison to product details pages is simply because there is not enough actual text on the category pages to be crawled!

Figure out a way to add more text on your category pages and watch your rankings move up.