Shipping Set Up

I am really struggling on setting up shipping and was hoping some experts could help me out.

My situation is this. We only use FedEx. All of our products have weights which are used for Realtime rates. That all works great. But some of our products we want to ship FedEx Ground for free.

I tried the “Free Shipping” option for these products but that didn’t work out because 1) We can’t assign a tracking number to a “Free Shipping” shipment (a bug noted in other forum threads), and 2) Enabling this option does not give the customer the option to choose other ship methods. Meaning we’ll ship ground for free, but if the customer wants to choose Overnight, they are out of luck.

I tried to go the promotion route, I set up a promotion that applied a Free Shipping bonus to FedEx Ground if that product was in a certain category (for example “Widget”). That works just as it should and gives the customer the option to choose a quicker ship method if they so desire. However, if I add another product to the order that is not in the “Widget” category, the Realtime rates are calculated, but the FedEx Ground method still shows “Free Shipping” and the customer can choose that and get both products shipped for free. Not what I want to happen.

Finally, I tried to go the Supplier route as you can create a “supplier” and add ship methods and products to it. We created a “Widget” supplier and added a widget product and a manual free shipping rate. I think this might work, but it means we have to add a Supplier (even the ones not in the “Widget” category) to separate them into different ship methods. I don’t really like this idea, it’ll become a maintenance nightmare.

Has any one come across this and figured out a way to solve this? In a perfect world I guess what I am looking for is the ability to assign a product or category to a ship method(s). If we want to ship all products in a certain category 2Day Air for $14.99, or require that a customer choose an Overnight method for certain categories, or solve the problem I mentioned above, assigning products/categories to a ship method should solve it.

I hope I am just missing something, and someone can point me in the right direction here.

Thanks,

Chris

Unfortunately, you are not missing anything. The best you can do currently is use Suppliers.

CS-Cart needs a lot of work in the shipping area - it is falling behind several of its competitors. It works fine if you have really simple shipping needs with uniform product weights and sizes but that is about it.

Bob

[quote name=‘jobosales’]Unfortunately, you are not missing anything. The best you can do currently is use Suppliers.

CS-Cart needs a lot of work in the shipping area - it is falling behind several of its competitors. It works fine if you have really simple shipping needs with uniform product weights and sizes but that is about it.

Bob[/QUOTE]

Man that is a real drag, I was hoping that wouldn’t be the answer. :frowning: If not already there, I’ll add an Idea to the new UserVoice and see if we can get some people to support it. You are right, shipping is a big gap in Cs-Cart compared to the competition.

thx Bob

[quote name=‘ChrisW’]Man that is a real drag, I was hoping that wouldn’t be the answer. :frowning: If not already there, I’ll add an Idea to the new UserVoice and see if we can get some people to support it. You are right, shipping is a big gap in Cs-Cart compared to the competition.

thx Bob[/quote]

Here is the UserVoice Link