Shall I remove addresses for downloads?

Hi,

I have a question that I would like to debate here…

I sell mainly downloads (in fact only downloads at the moment). Currently when users sign up they have to fill in a lot of information, like address etc, which we do not really need as the items are not shipped. Should I remove these fields (through the settings in admin) so they only need to provide me with the basics?

What would be the pros and cons of this?

At the moment I only use PayPal standard, but what if I was to move to PayPal Pro, do I need the billing address to be captured?

I’d like to know your thoughts. I think it would be good to keep the checkout as simple as possible but dont want to be missing out on information that I may well need in the future.

TIA

Simon

[quote name=‘recedo’]Hi,

I have a question that I would like to debate here…

I sell mainly downloads (in fact only downloads at the moment). Currently when users sign up they have to fill in a lot of information, like address etc, which we do not really need as the items are not shipped. Should I remove these fields (through the settings in admin) so they only need to provide me with the basics?

[/QUOTE]

What would be the pros and cons of this?

How you going to send them postal mail?

Having a mailing list can greatly improve your business… After all when the last time you got postal mail from a website?

It’s good to know who you’re selling stuff to. :wink:

Hi,

I do not send out postal mail to customers, however this is not to say that I won’t in the future, mainly due to the cost when I can send an email for next to nothing.

But, you’re right, I can’t say I’ve ever got mail from a website and most the newsletters I get I’ll only look at briefly, if at all.

And yes, it is also good to know who the customers are.

I think it seems sensible to keep the info in there, perhaps I can have it on signup but hidden in the checkout to keep it as simple as possible for future purchases.

The thing that gets me is customers seeing a ‘huge’ form with address etc to be filled in to download a song costing 50p!

Ideally I would like a 1-click checkout mod, perhaps something I’ll look at in the future.

Anyone else got any comments on this?

Simon

With regular PayPal it makes no difference but if processing cards thru a normal gateway script, you should require all related info and set it up (if possible) to deny those that do not match the info on file at the issuing bank.

Carders and those who make illegal purchases often will not know the address of the card holders so this will help protect you a great deal. Shops offering downloadable goods are prime targets for CC fraud so you should do all you can to prevent it…

[quote name=‘S-Combs’]With regular PayPal it makes no difference but if processing cards thru a normal gateway script, you should require all related info and set it up (if possible) to deny those that do not match the info on file at the issuing bank.

Carders and those who make illegal purchases often will not know the address of the card holders so this will help protect you a great deal. Shops offering downloadable goods are prime targets for CC fraud so you should do all you can to prevent it…[/quote]

That is something I was concerned about. I currently use only PayPal in the future I will be using PP Pro and possibly another gateway system.

Thanks for the info.

Simon

[quote name=‘recedo’]Hi,

I do not send out postal mail to customers, however this is not to say that I won’t in the future, mainly due to the cost when I can send an email for next to nothing.[/QUOTE]

Ever considered the fact there are no SPAM filters for Postal Mail?

Valid point however is that it would be best to track customer purchasing habits and locale

Well, I don’t do a lot of (read any) mailouts, however we do have a street team that visit gigs and hand out flyers for offline advertising, so perhaps in the same league.

I guess knowing where the customers are from is handy for marketing.

Simon