Setup Charges for first unit of an item

We have certain parts on our site on which we must charge a $50 setup fee for the first unit purchased. Second and additional units do not require this fee.

For example:

Item X

First Unit Price = $17 plus $50 setup fee - Total =$67

Second Unit Price = $17 Total = $84

Third Unit Price = $17 Total = $101

I can’t see how to do this with discounts, since that will cause the price for all units to drop once I hit the threshold (2). Thus in the above example, the total price would be $34 for two units if I set the discount threshold to $17 at quantity =2.

I also can’t see how to do this with handling charges, since the setup charge is per part and not per order.

I have close to 2,000 parts that will require this and need to be able to import this with the part. Does anyone have experience setting this up with the standard cart or has created a mod to do this that they will sell me?

Thanks for your help.

Why don’t use quantity discount? 1st item(1 item) price is $67, 2 or more with price $17…

Or you can setup a checkbox type option as required. With +$50 price modifier. This makes more sense.

[quote name=‘cscartrocks’]Why don’t use quantity discount? 1st item(1 item) price is $67, 2 or more with price $17…[/QUOTE]

I tried that - in my example, it would make the total cost $34 for two units rather than $84. (all units at the discount price instead of just the second and additional ones).

[quote name=‘dave01’]I tried that - in my example, it would make the total cost $34 for two units rather than $84. (all units at the discount price instead of just the second and additional ones).[/QUOTE]

How about the second solution?

[quote name=‘cscartrocks’]Or you can setup a checkbox type option as required. With +$50 price modifier. This makes more sense.[/QUOTE]

If I make a mandatory checkbox, won’t it require that fee for every unit? If I make it optional, the customer will never check it.

I appreciate your thoughts and help, but I think I need another way.

[quote name=‘dave01’]If I make a mandatory checkbox, won’t it require that fee for every unit? If I make it optional, the customer will never check it.

I appreciate your thoughts and help, but I think I need another way.[/QUOTE]

It will only be applied once. Actually making this box as checked by default will solve your problem.

[quote name=‘cscartrocks’]It will only be applied once. Actually making this box as checked by default will solve your problem.[/QUOTE]

I tried this and it applies the option fee once for each unit sent to the cart, rather than charging it once for all units ordered.

Is there a setting to make it a one time option charge?

I have not used it, but can you use the ‘required products’ stuff to add a 'setup product" when a product is selected that requires it? I’m not sure if this is applied once or to each quantity, but it’s probably worth investigation. That would probably be the area to customize if it apples to all quantities. Hence it’s required once. But then the question is what happens when multiple products that require setup fees are selected? Did you want the fee to be applied to each product? Or each order?

How to solve the problem depends on the answer to that question.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]I have not used it, but can you use the ‘required products’ stuff to add a 'setup product" when a product is selected that requires it? I’m not sure if this is applied once or to each quantity, but it’s probably worth investigation. That would probably be the area to customize if it apples to all quantities. Hence it’s required once. But then the question is what happens when multiple products that require setup fees are selected? Did you want the fee to be applied to each product? Or each order?

How to solve the problem depends on the answer to that question.[/QUOTE]

I have worked on this today and determined that when you assign a specific required product to more than one part it will force a single unit of that required product into the cart the first time a part requiring that product is added to the cart. No matter how many more parts are ordered that “require” that same product, no more will be added. In the cart, during checkout, the customer can delete or change the quantity of the required part. All this routine does is make sure the required product is added to the cart one time.

This will work for my situation, but now I am faced with finding a way to bulk import the part number of the required part along with the rest of the part fields… I don’t see anywhere in the documentation that this can be done.

Does anyone know if that can be done or is willing to do a paid mod to accomplish this?

Thanks for your help.

Can always do a customization that is tailored to your needs. Contact me via email at tonybXX@ez-msXX.com (remove X’s) and send me your complete list of requirements and any usage scenarios you believe to be critical.

Still not clear to me if you want a setup once per order or whether you want a setup once per product.