Seo Ultimate: Canonical Url + Google Rich Snippets + Seo Name History + More

[quote name=‘The Tool’]Adding the following to robots.txt will remedy that. This is of course if you are using the SEO Addon.

Disallow: /index.php[/QUOTE]

And I had that too, but still noticed improvements in google webmasters tools since I installed this addon, may be coicidence, I have no idea.

I just read up on the canonical stuff, so basically the addon will tell the SE’s explicitly which is the right url

Is this addon automatic?

So lets say for all my categories it will add the canonical url and will it automatically do this ofr the products too or do I have to one by one create the url or something?

Thanks

[quote name=‘badmaash’]I just read up on the canonical stuff, so basically the addon will tell the SE’s explicitly which is the right url

Is this addon automatic?

So lets say for all my categories it will add the canonical url and will it automatically do this ofr the products too or do I have to one by one create the url or something?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

The canonical addon is very flexible. If you don’t define canonical url for a product, it will automatically use the seo url.

Also it 301 redirects non-seo url to seo url which is a strong signal to vote for your most important url.

It’s highly recommended to install this addon for each and every cs-cart store.

[quote name=‘cscartrocks’]The canonical addon is very flexible. If you don’t define canonical url for a product, it will automatically use the seo url.

Also it 301 redirects non-seo url to seo url which is a strong signal to vote for your most important url.

It’s highly recommended to install this addon for each and every cs-cart store.[/QUOTE]

Okay, thanks for info… I will get the addon after I upgrade to the latest cs-cart build

Thx

Anyone using this Add-on has it seemed to help your stores SEO (bringing in traffic more, better rankings, etc)?

Around the same time as the last posting on this thread (around mid March) … Google has done another huge search engine overhaul (Panda update or something like that). I am just wondering if the Canonical URL and Duplicate Content Fix is working well with this new Google update?

-Tim

[quote name=‘Tim Hensel’]Anyone using this Add-on has it seemed to help your stores SEO (bringing in traffic more, better rankings, etc)?

Around the same time as the last posting on this thread (around mid March) … Google has done another huge search engine overhaul (Panda update or something like that). I am just wondering if the Canonical URL and Duplicate Content Fix is working well with this new Google update?

-Tim[/QUOTE]

Hi Tim,

The seo technical problems solved by this addon are still valid. The Panda Update is mainly about the quality of the website. If you don’t install this addon, the technical problems are still there.

Thanks for the reply. :slight_smile:

I did purchase the Add-on and the installation was flawless! :smiley:

After doing a lot of research, it is best for the canonical to be an absolute URL instead of just a relative URL. So I noticed if I leave the Canonical URL: field blank then the full absolute URL (using the SEO name: field) appears in the Canonical link (when viewing the page source information in the web browser) which is great!

I’m glad this Add-on is out there!

Here is probably the biggest/best information I found on the Canonical link reference directly from Google.

[URL=“Consolidate Duplicate URLs with Canonical Tags | Google Search Central  |  Documentation  |  Google Developers”]http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=139394[/URL]

-Tim

do we have to do anything with this after we install it. i mean do we have to fill in th canonical field ourselves or not.

Thanks

john

[quote name=‘johnbol1’]do we have to do anything with this after we install it. i mean do we have to fill in th canonical field ourselves or not.

Thanks

john[/QUOTE]

You can just leave the Canonical field blank. It will then put your SEO link in as the absolute url in the webpage such as:

-Tim

I'm probably doing something wrong. Maybe at the upload?

but after uploading the files I do find the canonical url addon in the list and I can install it and that workt ok but than I can't get into the addon to adjust setting.

I'm not the most skilled cs cart user so excuse my ignorece but can anyone please help!

Thanks so much!

[quote name='krola' timestamp='1309590327' post='116124']

I'm probably doing something wrong. Maybe at the upload?

but after uploading the files I do find the canonical url addon in the list and I can install it and that workt ok but than I can't get into the addon to adjust setting.

I'm not the most skilled cs cart user so excuse my ignorece but can anyone please help!

Thanks so much!

[/quote]

There is no settings for this addon except that you can specify the canonical url for each product under the Addon tab. If not explicitly specified, the addon will use the seo url as the canonical url.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='cscartrocks' timestamp='1309591871' post='116125']

There is no settings for this addon except that you can specify the canonical url for each product under the Addon tab. If not explicitly specified, the addon will use the seo url as the canonical url.

Hope this helps.

[/quote]

Thanks! sorry I was looking for something that wasn't supposed to be there!

Looking forward to see the resustls in my google webmaster account!

Thanks again!

kr carola

I've installed this and turned it on, but there are no options showing up in add-ons for any of my products. Any ideas? Is it not compatible with 2.2.1 of the cart?

[quote name='kingsleypress' timestamp='1311184135' post='117787']

I've installed this and turned it on, but there are no options showing up in add-ons for any of my products. Any ideas? Is it not compatible with 2.2.1 of the cart?

[/quote]

It's compatible with cs-cart 2.2.1. Could you submit a ticket in your account “Help Center” so we can take a close look? Thank you.

I want to know on product page addon tab why canonical field given, i mean what to enter their ?

[quote name='miracles' timestamp='1311186386' post='117791']

I want to know on product page addon tab why canonical field given, i mean what to enter their ?

[/quote]

This is used for stores with duplicated products which are just different in variants like sizes, colors and etc. You can assign the main product url as canonical url to other variants. That field is used to solve this kind of problem. Thanks.

[quote name=‘cscartrocks’ timestamp=‘1311187385’ post=‘117792’]

This is used for stores with duplicated products which are just different in variants like sizes, colors and etc. You can assign the main product url as canonical url to other variants. That field is used to solve this kind of problem. Thanks.

[/quote]

Thanks but can you tell me the example ? :blink:

[quote name=‘miracles’ timestamp=‘1311225440’ post=‘117841’]

Thanks but can you tell me the example ? :blink:

[/quote]

Red car, Blue car, Golden car, all the same car but only different in colors. For some reason, these products are created separately instead of using product options. In this case, the canonical url for Red car and Blue car can be the same as Golden car. Then search engine will take your Golden car more seriously.

[quote name=‘cscartrocks’ timestamp=‘1311245001’ post=‘117881’]

Red car, Blue car, Golden car, all the same car but only different in colors. For some reason, these products are created separately instead of using product options. In this case, the canonical url for Red car and Blue car can be the same as Golden car. Then search engine will take your Golden car more seriously.

[/quote]

On my view with link example, will this work like this method ?

1. Domain Hosting | Domain and Website Hosting Services - Domain.com
  2. Domain Hosting | Domain and Website Hosting Services - Domain.com (Duplicate Link)

Will 2nd number link make the www.domain.com/hostingvps.html ?

Like that ? :huh:

[quote name=‘miracles’ timestamp=‘1311258207’ post=‘117895’]

On my view with link example, will this work like this method ?

1. Domain Hosting | Domain and Website Hosting Services - Domain.com
  2. Domain Hosting | Domain and Website Hosting Services - Domain.com (Duplicate Link)

Will 2nd number link make the www.domain.com/hostingvps.html ?

Like that ? :huh:

[/quote]

cs-cart doesn’t allow two identical seo urls. So your link example doesn’t exist.