SEO - Completely Confused!?

Hello all

I’ve been searching through the threads for setting up SEO, but now I’m even more confused than before :confused: .

Could somebody try and talk me through the whole process in the style of an infant school teacher please?

(I was doing so well)…

There is nothing to it, just switch it on and it generates the seo it’s self.

I read somewhere not to have both seo and html switched on.

BarryH

I just get a 404 error when I turn SEO on and try to view a product on my site.

do you have the htaccess file on the root of the store? what version of cs-cart you using? Does your server have the mod rewrite and apache that is needed?

if you check the SEO module on and get some errors, check that and if you still get errors and are sure you have those capabilities on the server, turn template debuggin on and see if you can see anything

good luck

Hello DELTA9000…

I’ve just enabled htaccess on my file server, which runs on apache, but it may take up to three hours to set itself.

I’m still getting errors at the moment, so I’ll keep trying and see what happens.

I’ll keep you posted because if it doesn’t work, I’ll be back at square one! :?

Still no luck…

I’m going to have a mess around, but if anyone has any ideas, all help will be appreciated!!

Can anyone tell me which htaccess file I need to modify.

I changed .htaccess.bak

I this right? (It hasn’t worked!)

i am not much of a techie…

but htaccess.bak is the BACKUP generated by your server

but, you need to make sure of 2 things

A) mod_rewrite is available and configured on your server (check with host)

B) .htaccess is uploaded in ascii mode and in the root folder of your store (same as index.php)

Also make sure the ,htaccess file is referring to the right folder

```php # Your store url is http://www.yourcompany.com/store/cscart

So “RewriteBase” should be:

RewriteBase /store/cscart ```

I’ve checked with my server host and both apache and mod-rewrite are ok.

I’ve uploaded htaccess, but I don’t know what ascii mode is?

Also, do I need to actually write my store name within the code?

Nothing seems to be working, I’m still seeing error 404 with every product page… :confused:

I’m very confused!!

as i said, i am not a techie guy, but, if you could post (or pm me)

1. the .htaccess file you are trying to use
  2. your store URL
  3. this part of your config.php file that shows where your store is (looks like this)

// Host and directory where cs-cart is installed on usual server
$cscart_http_host = 'beta.gatefold.com';
$cscart_http_dir = '';

// Host and directory where cs-cart is installed on secure server
$cscart_https_host = 'beta.gatefold.com';
$cscart_https_dir = '';

Have you checked the RewriteBase as Mike mentioned above?

If your store is in the web document root then your .htaccess file should be exactly as below

```php DirectoryIndex index.html index.php

RewriteEngine on

RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule . index.php?sef_rewrite=1 [L,QSA]

```

If your store is in a sub directory such as yourdomain.com then, it should be as below but you must change the word store to the name of the directory your store is in

RewriteEngine on

RewriteBase /store

```

I’ve checked all of the above and everything appears to be as it should be, but I’m still getting error 404??

Would this be an error with my server host or have I still missed something?

Thanks for dropping in Scott…

I am grateful

:smiley:

the htaccess was pm’ed to me and it was right, as was config.php settings

Is this a windows server doddles?

and does it work without enabling SEO?

Hello Mike

I spoke to my server host and I’m not sure what they’ve done, but SEO seems to be working now…

I thought I was doing everything I was supposed to :roll:

Thanks again for all your help… and anyone else in this thread that helped too, I can sleep easy tonight knowing that another hurdle has been jumped!! :smiley:

p.s. Mike, it was working without SEO enabled…

I’ve just been informed by my server host that my htaccess file was named htaccess.bak and should have been called just htaccess.

They re-named it and that’s what corrected the error.

:smiley: :smiley:

are you on a windows server? I was under the impression that windows didnt work with mod_rewrite… i hope it does as i’ve just setup a store on windows!

Cheers

Alfie

[quote name=‘S-Combs’]Have you checked the RewriteBase as Mike mentioned above?

If your store is in the web document root then your .htaccess file should be exactly as below

RewriteEngine on

RewriteBase /

```

[/QUOTE]

Done my forum search to try and solve a problem and found this - so it seemed sensible to add to this thread.

I seem to be having problems with items deeper in than page 1. I have turned off ajax add to cart and google has been around again but still does not seem to have found stuff on page 2.

(Not a google expert maybe it finds page 2 later and just checks the home page more frequently)

I have (134sp3) SEO turned on.

CS-Cart is in the root folder.

But my htaccess file is not reading quite like the above. All means nothing to me - yet! But maybe someone else could just go - yeah that fine or tut tut tut.

--------

DirectoryIndex index.html index.php

RewriteEngine on

Some hostings require RewriteBase to be uncommented

Example:

Your store url is [url]http://www.yourcompany.com/store/cscart[/url]

So “RewriteBase” should be:

RewriteBase /store/cscart

RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+p[-_]?([0-9]+)\.html$ $1index.php?target=products&product_id=$2 [L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+c[-_]?([0-9]+)([-_]sort[-_]([a-z0-9_]+)[-_]order[-_]([a-z0-9_]+))?([-_]page-([a-z0-9_]+))?\.html$ $1index.php?target=categories&category_id=$2&sort_by=$4&sort_order=$5&page=$7 [L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+a[-_]?([0-9]+)\.html$ $1index.php?target=pages&page_inner_id=$2 [L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+t[-_]?([0-9]+)\.html$ $1index.php?target=topics&topic_id=$2 [L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+m[-_]?([0-9]+)([-_]sort[-_]([a-z0-9_]+)[-_]order[-_]([a-z0-9_]+))?([-_]page-([a-z0-9_]+))?\.html$ $1index.php?target=manufacturers&manufacturer_id=$2&sort_by=$4&sort_order=$5&page=$7 [L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?form[-_]?([a-z0-9_]+)[-_]?(sent)?\.html$ $1index.php?target=forms&name=$2&mode=$3 [L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?manufacturers\.html$ $1index.php?target=manufacturers [L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?catalog\.html$ $1index.php?mode=catalog [L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?index\.html$ $1index.php [L]

-----------

The Rewrite rules are very different for 1.3.4-sp3 and 1.3.5 forward. I don;t have a copy of the 1.3.4-sp3 rules but those look about right. Hopefully someone else can chime in with an actual comparison.

Bob