Search Not Working on Exact Match instead showing Newest Item

Hello,

I am facing problem with cs cart search.

When someone search for any term it doesnt show expected result instead it shows the Newest Item ( Even if that item doesnt contain the work searched )

I have set Product list default sorting: Sort by newest item.

Why search is also working on sort by newest item??? It should work on the bases of Exact match or nearest match.

The search sorting should be on the basis of ( keyword match )

I hope you understand what i am trying to say.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards

I think what you are saying is you would like the search results to be first sorted by Relevance, and then sub-sorted by Newest?

All product listings are sorted by the admin's default choice, then the sort can be overridden by the customer's choice in the 'sort by' drop down menu.

Relevance is tricky - IS the product name more relevant than the description? IS the keyword more relevant than the product name? IF the search term appears twice in the name is that more relevant than three times in the desciption?

It's best to use the Advanced Search and narrow your search to more accurate search terms which provide less results. I provide a link to the Advanced Search, right above the search field so customers have quick access to it.

I found the problem. I want to uncheck Full description option by default - but dont know how can i do that as i am not able to find any setting for this in admin panel might be i have to edit some file.

Please someone help me to uncheck the Full Description option by default in Search.

Thanks

Anyone??

Thanks

[quote name='cool999' timestamp='1355416992' post='151084']

I found the problem. I want to uncheck Full description option by default - but dont know how can i do that as i am not able to find any setting for this in admin panel might be i have to edit some file.

Please someone help me to uncheck the Full Description option by default in Search.

Thanks

[/quote]

/core/fn.search.php

//
// Add default search objects
//
function fn_init_search()
{
fn_search_init_object();
fn_search_register_object(
'products',
'fn_create_products_condition',
array(
'pshort' => 'Y',
'pfull' => 'N',
'pname' => 'Y',
'pkeywords' => 'Y',
),

Did it still sameā€¦ and also the Full description option is still checked

Found it and tested this. It gives you what you want.

/skins/basic/customer/common_templates/search.tpl

Change line 6 to:

Don't forget to clear the cache for a template change.

Thanks man it worked.

Thanks a lot

[quote name='Magpie Don' timestamp='1355935572' post='151458']

Found it and tested this. It gives you what you want.

/skins/basic/customer/common_templates/search.tpl

Change line 6 to:

Don't forget to clear the cache for a template change.

[/quote]