robot.txt, sublinks and PR in Google Searches

Hello Everybody.

After I read a post about Ultimate On-Page SEO Tips I went to my server and see that my website and webstore do not have a content inside robot.txt file.

SO, NOW I HAVE ONE PROBLEM: start to create one good robot.txt file.

In fact I have just done it.

I am not understanding why my website is each day with a better Alexa rank, but my Google PR is the same: 0

It had a better Google PR, but after a long time not using SEO… it was to 0 again.

People say that PR in Google has more about links inside other websites (where your link is) than about how many people are going to see your website (what Alexa does).

In my case, I really lose a lot of links I had one day.

Sublinks:

When you go to Google and digit “AMAZON” (for example) you see something like this:

[COLOR=“Blue”]Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers …

[/COLOR]

Online shopping from the earth’s biggest selection of books, magazines, music, DVDs, videos, electronics, computers, software, apparel & accessories, shoes, …

[COLOR=“Blue”]Books

Music

Movies & TV

Shop All Departments
[/COLOR]

So, you can see a PRINCIPAL LINK and SUBLINKS (Books, Music, Movies & TV…).

My doubt is:

The “robot.txt” file is where Google goes to create a sublink in the seach about Amazon or another website?

Or is this made from SiteMap.xml?

How can I improve sublinks?

I can see a lot of litle webstores with this same sublinks (and they are not Amazon). I was in Google Webmasters tools and see that there is a link talking about sublinks… but Google uses some algorithms that I don’t know how sublinks are created for a website and NOT for another

About robot.txt I have already read a thread started from Indy007 in the link: [url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=16357[/url]

Thanks!

If you want to increase your pagerank you need to get links to your website. Just remember google only updates the ‘toolbar’ page rank (the page rank you see on the toolbar) about every 3 months.

What your refering to in the listings are called sitelinks and they are automatically generated. you cannot necessarily choose them yourself. basically if you want them i would think you need a high authority site. I wouldn’t dwell on them to much, just focus on more important things and let them show up if they show up. You can read some information on it here…

[URL=“Learn About What Sitelinks Are | Google Search Central  |  Documentation  |  Google Developers”]http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=47334[/URL]

[QUOTE]If you want to increase your pagerank you need to get links to your website. Just remember google only updates the ‘toolbar’ page rank (the page rank you see on the toolbar) about every 3 months.

[/QUOTE]

Hum… I did not know about these 3 months to upload pageranks.

[QUOTE]What your refering to in the listings are called sitelinks and they are automatically generated. you cannot necessarily choose them yourself. basically if you want them i would think you need a high authority site. I wouldn’t dwell on them to much, just focus on more important things and let them show up if they show up. You can read some information on it here…

[URL=“Learn About What Sitelinks Are | Google Search Central  |  Documentation  |  Google Developers”]http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=47334[/URL][/QUOTE]

Yes, I knew this link. Sorry for the incorrect name of the “sitelinks”.

The problem is that it give us no information about how SITELINKS work.

Do we have here an expert in GOOGLE PAGE RANK?

People say that PR in Google increase directly about number of links you have in others sites. But nobody say how many links to each PR like:

PR 1: 50 links

PR 2 : 100 links

Something like that.

Tks

PageRank is DEAD.

My store is PR3 and makes 7 digit figures…

My website is PR4 and doesn’t make a nickel

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]PageRank is DEAD.

My store is PR3 and makes 7 digit figures…

My website is PR4 and doesn’t make a nickel[/QUOTE]

But this happens with a lot of websites.

PR is just one more parameter to give your website a “credibility” (if I can say this word) to your website. But, like all we know, neither Google PR, neither Alexa rank can make our websites to sale.

In some times (maybe this is your case) we can create a good content in a website to bring sales to our webstores.

For example: I can create a very good review about Nokia N900 and, in the final of the article review I put my website’s Nokia N900 adress to sale it.

I don’t know if this happens with your websites. But it is a common strategy.

And…

I will arrive in 7 digits one day…eheheh.

Tks for reply!

I’ll be blunt:

Robots.txt = useless unless there is something you need to remove from the search engine results: ie /index.php?

sublinks = are only good referring to relative material

ie Lights to Sconces

PR = Quality Score from google, if it’s any indication of “score” it’s incorrect. “content is king” and no****… it works :wink:

Don’t waste your time on article submissions, they just bid against your website by allowing competitors to advertise on their website. (your website is listed on their website, with your content, keyworks and underwear color (are you listening people?)

Don’t try link farms, you look like a desperate idiot

Don’t try “awesome seo” methods that the big boys use, you can’t call google direct to apologise can you?

Content people, goddammit! Write stuff. Ask yourself how many pages of “REAL” interesting content is on your website? (check my blog link under antique barn lights)

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]I’ll be blunt:

Robots.txt = useless unless there is something you need to remove from the search engine results: ie /index.php?

sublinks = are only good referring to relative material

ie Lights to Sconces

PR = Quality Score from google, if it’s any indication of “score” it’s incorrect. “content is king” and no****… it works :wink:

Don’t waste your time on article submissions, they just bid against your website by allowing competitors to advertise on their website. (your website is listed on their website, with your content, keyworks and underwear color (are you listening people?)

Don’t try link farms, you look like a desperate idiot

Don’t try “awesome seo” methods that the big boys use, you can’t call google direct to apologise can you?

Content people, goddammit! Write stuff. Ask yourself how many pages of “REAL” interesting content is on your website? (check my blog link under antique barn lights)[/QUOTE]

I take a look in the two websites. The second one (black and white) I have just look, the other (black and red) I took a look in your first comment. I believe the RED one sales more than the White one (am I right?).

I buy some electronics in Miami, Florida. This kind of products you sale is not my beach. I think I will not be a good saler of lamps and acessories. :frowning:

About BLOG: yes, this is ONE of the ways you can improve acess. Foruns are another one.

Like you said, the most important thing is not to get a lot of acess, but TO SALE.

I believe affiliate programs are a good idea when we need more sales…

:slight_smile: