Remove "Country" drop-down from cart page

Looks like the team finally made a forum just for v2 but my post for removing countries is now in the trial forum.

I disabled ALL the other countries from Shipping/Taxes - Countries (took almost an hour which is BS) but the drop-down still appears.

Locations is set to USA only and the drop-down still appears. Come on!

How can I remove the “Country” drop-down from the Estimate Shipping cost on the cart page and still preserve the State functionality? We only ship within the U.S. and it seems pointless having a drop-down with only 1 country.

Why not just comment it out of the TPLs?

Thanks Jesse but I have no idea what file I need to access or what to comment out in those files.

jobosales and I submitted this as a bug - the whole feature seems broken and pointless if after spending 30 minutes disabling every country except one, and then disabling the “Country” field from the Profile Fields page, only means customers can no longer checkout because the customer info and shipping stages still need the country drop-down.

Hi

Not really the solution, but I went to the database and deleted them, took 5 mins at the max. I only have uk, uk counties and uk currency! In the checkout UK is the default so a selection isn’t required.

BarryH

[quote name=‘Dave the Slave’]jobosales and I submitted this as a bug - the whole feature seems broken and pointless if after spending 30 minutes disabling every country except one, and then disabling the “Country” field from the Profile Fields page, only means customers can no longer checkout because the customer info and shipping stages still need the country drop-down.[/QUOTE]

The inability to quickly enable/disable all options in lists is a significant roadblock. If I were just setting up a trial version, I might well have lost interest before I ever really put the cart through its paces. It may seem trivial to some, but it is that whole “out-of-box” experience thing that makes the difference between a good product and a great product.

Bob

[quote name=‘BarryH’]Hi

Not really the solution, but I went to the database and deleted them, took 5 mins at the max. I only have uk, uk counties and uk currency! In the checkout UK is the default so a selection isn’t required.

BarryH[/quote]

Okay since you obviously have some ‘hands-on’ experience Barry, could you enlighten me as to exactly how you did this? Or at least what database table you modified?

thanks.

[quote name=‘Dave the Slave’]Okay since you obviously have some ‘hands-on’ experience Barry, could you enlighten me as to exactly how you did this? Or at least what database table you modified?

thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hi

Open database via Phpadmin

2 x tables for country.

cscart_countries and cscart_country_description.

Browse table…

Select “SHOW” 1000 row(s) starting from record # 0

Select “ALL” then deselect gb/uk related (one in each table) delete!!!

You will be left with only uk/gb. I then repeated this for states and for state description!

EDIT* Obviously you would be doing for US etc

Hope this helps

Barry

[quote name=‘jobosales’]The inability to quickly enable/disable all options in lists is a significant roadblock. If I were just setting up a trial version, I might well have lost interest before I ever really put the cart through its paces. It may seem trivial to some, but it is that whole “out-of-box” experience thing that makes the difference between a good product and a great product.

Bob[/QUOTE]

Sorry, forgot to say in last post, I agree that there should be no need to make changes in the dbase for simple admin setup requirements. It would appear that v206 has taken a couple of backwards steps here and there - but overall is a great improvement to v135.

Barry

[quote name=‘BarryH’]Sorry, forgot to say in last post, I agree that there should be no need to make changes in the dbase for simple admin setup requirements. It would appear that v206 has taken a couple of backwards steps here and there - but overall is a great improvement to v135.[/QUOTE]

I agree that v2 is generally a significant improvement over previous versions but there are a few usability issues where v1.3.5 comes out on top. Hopefully, future versions will address these weaknesses.

Bob

[quote name=‘Dave the Slave’]jobosales and I submitted this as a bug - the whole feature seems broken and pointless if after spending 30 minutes disabling every country except one, and then disabling the “Country” field from the Profile Fields page, only means customers can no longer checkout because the customer info and shipping stages still need the country drop-down.[/QUOTE]

Dave, have you heard back on this, because I have no need for a drop down myself that only has the US in it. I only ship in the US for the time being and having a country drop down just clutters up my checkout page.

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/vbugs.php?do=view&vbug_id=952[/url]

Nothing seems to have moved on this. Nothing against recent movements to have more features added to CS-CART but I for one would rather see the devs fix/repair/streamline the features already in place, such as this country issue.

My store also only ships to US addresses and obviously the United States is the only country that I have enabled. In the shipping estimate box I got rid of the country drop down box by simply hiding the DIV that creates the box for the country list:

In YourSkin/Customer/Views/Checkout/Components/Shipping_Estimation.tpl,about half way down the page (2.07)

[color="Red"]

[/color]

I added the DIV in red and it works flawlessly. Again, because the US is the only option in the county drop down list, there is nothing to select here. If you have more than one county, this will not work.

To get rid of the County drop down box on the Check out page:

If you unselect County on the Profile Fields page under the Users tab, the states still come up and the drop down box for County is gone. It worked for me…

[quote name=‘Dave the Slave’]Okay since you obviously have some ‘hands-on’ experience Barry, could you enlighten me as to exactly how you did this? Or at least what database table you modified?

thanks.[/QUOTE]

[quote name=‘BarryH’]Hi

Open database via Phpadmin

2 x tables for country.

cscart_countries and cscart_country_description.

Browse table…

Select “SHOW” 1000 row(s) starting from record # 0

Select “ALL” then deselect gb/uk related (one in each table) delete!!!

You will be left with only uk/gb. I then repeated this for states and for state description!

EDIT* Obviously you would be doing for US etc

Hope this helps

Barry[/QUOTE]

[quote name=‘Dave the Slave’][url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/vbugs.php?do=view&vbug_id=952[/url]

Nothing seems to have moved on this. Nothing against recent movements to have more features added to CS-CART but I for one would rather see the devs fix/repair/streamline the features already in place, such as this country issue.[/QUOTE]

Well thanks for the feedback!!!

[quote name=‘rattle5’]To get rid of the County drop down box on the Check out page:

If you unselect County on the Profile Fields page under the Users tab, the states still come up and the drop down box for County is gone. It worked for me…[/quote]

Looks like this works - thanks! I would still like a feature built-in already instead of us hacking the code.

[quote name=‘Dave the Slave’]Looks like this works - thanks! I would still like a feature built-in already instead of us hacking the code.[/QUOTE]

It looks like this has been coorected in 2.0.12 although bug #952 still remains in status “Confirmed”.

I too only ship to US states and do not need to see the country drop down either when customers register or checkout. In Users->Profile Fields if you uncheck the Country “Show” box for both Profile and Checkout on both Billing Address and Shipping Address, the Country drop down will no longer appear when you register and checkout. And you can register and checkout with this drop down removed.

In Shipping/taxes → Locations I only have USA active, I did nothing the Countries or States section. I’ll keep ordering and registering with other test customers, but this looks to be fixed. I’ll update the bug.

Chris

I’m using 2.0.8 and I’ve not had a problem with the Country showing up. I only ship within the USA and turned off the field for registration and profiles then also just deleted the US from showing up on my invoices by commenting out the code.

In order to disable all countries at once, you should do the following:

1. Create the “restore.sql” file in the “var/database/backup” directory of your CS-Cart installation with the following content:

[COLOR=“SeaGreen”]UPDATE cscart_countries SET status = ‘D’ WHERE code LIKE ‘%’;[/COLOR]

2. Log in to your administration panel, open the “Administration” tab and click on the “DB Backup/Restore” link.
  3. Select the “restore.sql” file in the “Backup files” section and click on the “Restore” button.

Worked for me!

go at the profiles (admin>users>profile fields) and un-check the “country”

Double check your checkout if you do something to this… I’ve had issues in the past where the country doesnt get passed to the cc gateway like paypal pro and the order fails w/o the country code…

Just something to check so that your store doesnt start failing orders