Registration and customer login Fail

I discovered the user logs today and was horrified to see that we have more unsuccessful login attempts than we do orders. Is there an undisclosed connection limit inherent in cs cart or something?

On a good day we’ll get 200 orders through the website, but it seems that we would have a lot more if whatever is causing this problem could be fixed.

We’ve had quite a few customers complaining that the registration process doesn’t work - they fill in their details, click on the registration buttons, and the page refreshes without completing the registration process and leaving all the fields blank. And for every one of them that bothers to complain, you can guarantee that most just decide to shop elsewhere.

I haven’t been able to replicate the problem myself, or find anything about it the cs cart forum, but it’s a real problem - I just don’t know what’s causing it. Could there be incompatibility problems with older browsers? Is there a known bug that causes this in some circumstances?

• Running v. 2.0.12 on a quad core dedicated server with 1and1

[quote name=‘cygnusbooks’]I discovered the user logs today and was horrified to see that we have more unsuccessful login attempts than we do orders. Is there an undisclosed connection limit inherent in cs cart or something?

On a good day we’ll get 200 orders through the website, but it seems that we would have a lot more if whatever is causing this problem could be fixed.

We’ve had quite a few customers complaining that the registration process doesn’t work - they fill in their details, click on the registration buttons, and the page refreshes without completing the registration process and leaving all the fields blank. And for every one of them that bothers to complain, you can guarantee that most just decide to shop elsewhere.

I haven’t been able to replicate the problem myself, or find anything about it the cs cart forum, but it’s a real problem - I just don’t know what’s causing it. Could there be incompatibility problems with older browsers? Is there a known bug that causes this in some circumstances?

• Running v. 2.0.12 on a quad core dedicated server with 1and1[/quote]

More than likely due to two reasons:
  1. Customers don’t like passing confidential information such as their password over a non-ssl link.

2. Customer browsers wont’ auto-complete the popup box that appears when you click signin.

Resolution: Check SSL for Authentication pages and you’ve fixed lazy customers.

If they are getting blank profiles, it is most likely because they has JavasScript disabled. The developers are aware of the problem and are working on a solution:

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/vbugs.php?do=view&vbug_id=1875[/url]

Bob

am even more shocked to learn that registration and login can break when javascript is disabled. Between 5% and 10% of internet users have javascript disabled for whatever reason, and amongst our customer demographic I imagine the figure is much higher.

I really hope that the devlopment team are rolling out a robust fix for this in the very near future - I’ve had no option but to look start looking for another platform to make the painful move to because of this. It’s crazy to think that we could be losing a significant proportion of our sales just because a lazy coder prefers javascript to php for authentication.

We see this probem occuring amongst customers who have completed all the fields required for the most part, so the issue might be worse than the bug tracker suggests. I’ve also spoken to customers who have:

a) all details filled in correctly

b) their username and password saved by autocomplete

…but have multiple login failures followed by random success later on. I’m perplexed and very dissapointed with the core developers. What’s the point of adding one shiny feature after another if the basics don’t work in robust and reliable way?